News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Smiley Czar and other requests

Started by Caligula's Ghost, May 25, 2009, 07:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caligula's Ghost

Hello again Mods and Admins,

I spent some time as an Admin for a Sports related board as recently as last month.  We used the exact same board as you currently do.  We had some different features like a shout box (aka tag board), arcade, photo gallery, twitter... all those things are probably not needed in an Atheist board.  My wife is the mastermind behind the success of every board I have headed up.  

Now that I am out of the admin game all I care to do is share some things I learned while doing it.  I think you have a very solid forum here and I am happy that you've let me become a member.  (Once you know me better) and if you need help with coding or design (logos, banners, etc.) feel free to let me know.  I'm not a pro but my wife and I have skills.  Okay my wife has skills but I'm no slouch.  I just figured I could do my part to help your well established community expand by giving something back.  No charge of course.  (And if I have the time)

The thing that prompted me to write this today is you may or may not have noticed that I've been using my own smilies.  The smilies you have here are fine but they are a bit dated and some don't seem to have much use.  There are other emotions that could be used represented here too.

Such as...

Sleepy

Fail

Win

Nerd

Miserable

.. you get where I'm going.

I'm not telling anybody what to do.  Just making a suggestion.  Some people like things the way they are no matter what and I can respect that.  No need to make me the Smiley Czar or anything.  

I have hundreds of other emotes if there is any interest.  Just let me know.

Again, great forum.  I'm so glad I found you guys!
A witty saying proves nothing.

Whitney

I have a thing where all the smilies I add to the forum have to be blue.  So, if you want to change some cool smilies over to blue I can add them (and delete ones such as  :borg: not being blue...but borg aren't blue.

Btw, what did you use to add the shout box on your old forum and were you using phpbb3?

Caligula's Ghost

Quote from: "Whitney"I have a thing where all the smilies I add to the forum have to be blue.  So, if you want to change some cool smilies over to blue I can add them (and delete ones such as  :borg: not being blue...but borg aren't blue.

Btw, what did you use to add the shout box on your old forum and were you using phpbb3?

Why yes we did have version 3.  We did 3.0.1 as the now defunct Spurs Corral and 3.0.4 as the newly defunct Fifty-First State.  3.0.1 had a "Shout Box" while 3.0.4 had a "Tag Board" of which I think I liked the latter more.  Its just a phpbb mod.  Not too hard to add but my wife knows more about it than I do.

Something else I noticed that might be helpful is having the name of the last thread in the "Last Post" column:

So instead of

by ProRealism     
Mon May 25, 2009 1:16 pm

You see

Re: "Hi I'm a new member"
by ProRealism     

Just a thought.

Blue smilies... now that is a challenge.  But I think I can scrape some up.  (Why blue anyway?  Because of the board color?)

Oh heck that was just the tip of the iceberg.  I'll look through my emotes a little later.

Any other way I can be of assistance?

rlrose328

Those are so cute!!!  Love the juggling cats one and the disintegrating into dust one (I see a need for that one... LOL!) and the rock hands ones.  They'are ALL cute!!!  OH and the PIRATE ONE!!!    :banna:
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Whitney

Thanks...I'm going to add some of them.

Btw, if you have some really cool non-blue smilies I don't mind adding them.  I just want the ones that show in the main list to be blue.

karadan

Awesome. I'm going to have fun with these  :write:   :hi:   Tee hee.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Whitney

I just added some more.  I'm going to search and see what other ones I can find too.  I could make some myself...maybe later.

Caligula's Ghost

I'm glad I could be of some use.  I have thousands of emotes and dozens that are blue.  I'll look through my collection over the weekend and get you some more.  :yay:

MommaSquid

I was wondering why we had so many new smilies.  They're so cool!  

Maybe you can make this one blue:  

Thanks for the new toys Whitney  and CG.

Whitney

I'm about to add these:  http://lucifer4671.deviantart.com/art/P ... s-38915242  (just some of them...the ones with signs are in French) :crush:  :satan:  :party:  :question:  :swim:  :fear:  :animeyay:  :idea2:

Jolly Sapper

Quote from: "Whitney"I'm about to add these:  http://lucifer4671.deviantart.com/art/P ... s-38915242  (just some of them...the ones with signs are in French) :crush:  :satan:  :party:  :question:  :swim:  :fear:  :animeyay:  :idea2:

ooh shibtastic!

Whitney

Quote from: "Caligula's Ghost"State.  3.0.1 had a "Shout Box" while 3.0.4 had a "Tag Board" of which I think I liked the latter more.  Its just a phpbb mod.  

Can you post a link to both of those mods please.

QuoteSo instead of

by ProRealism     

You see

by ProRealism     

Yes, I don't know why it's not set up that way be default.  I think there is a mod for that.

rlrose328

:livelong:  :twocents:  :coffee:

Wow, I hadn't looked at the View More in awhile!  Woohoo!!!
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Caligula's Ghost

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "Caligula's Ghost"State.  3.0.1 had a "Shout Box" while 3.0.4 had a "Tag Board" of which I think I liked the latter more.  Its just a phpbb mod.  

Can you post a link to both of those mods please.

QuoteSo instead of

by ProRealism     

You see

by ProRealism     

Yes, I don't know why it's not set up that way be default.  I think there is a mod for that.

I will get on that for you soon.

In the meantime... more blue emotes for you to peruse...

MommaSquid

:party:  

Woo hoo!  It's a smiley party.  The sheep are cute, too.