News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

Quote from: Buddy on August 21, 2016, 02:13:41 AM
I hate being someone who cries easily. I had a guy scream at me while I was working because apparently 15 minutes is too long to wait for food. He called me a fucking useless whore in front of the whole restaurant. Thankfully I held it together until I got to the walk in freezer then I had a mini meltdown. I'm so ready to go home
While a part of me wishes to strangle the aforementioned guy...
Sadly all I can recommend is adopting the attitude that all the customers you interact with will be some manner of idiot. This is a lesson I learned quickly while being a bouncer.
If you start with the assumption that the majority of people will be dumbasses you will only be positively surprised when they are not. Cynical, I know, but it works (at least in drinking establishments).

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Buddy

Quote from: Guardian85 on August 21, 2016, 05:22:11 AM
I hate being someone who cries easily. I had a guy scream at me while I was working because apparently 15 minutes is too long to wait for food. He called me a fucking useless whore in front of the whole restaurant. Thankfully I held it together until I got to the walk in freezer then I had a mini meltdown. I'm so ready to go home
Sadly all I can recommend is adopting the attitude that all the customers you interact with will be some manner of idiot. This is a lesson I learned quickly while being a bouncer.
If you start with the assumption that the majority of people will be dumbasses you will only be positively surprised when they are not. Cynical, I know, but it works (at least in drinking establishments).

Good advice. I've noticed that most of the general population is pretty dumb sometimes. I just spent the rest of my shift imagining gouging his eyes out with a fork.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Dave

Quote from: Buddy on August 21, 2016, 05:28:44 AM
Quote from: Guardian85 on August 21, 2016, 05:22:11 AM

Good advice. I've noticed that most of the general population is pretty dumb sometimes. I just spent the rest of my shift imagining gouging his eyes out with a fork.

This sort of counters what I said in the "happy" thread, but it seems thst the place you work has few parallels in the UK! In all my years of eating out in places ranging from truckers' cafes to 3 star resturants I have only witnessed one case that even came near what you described. And thst involved no swearing.

And the manager, sent the waitress into the back and, very politely but extremely firmly, made sure the bloke knew he was not wanted. Then offered to ask the police to "arbitrate" the situation if he did not leave. He then apologised to the rest of us.

This was just a small pizza place in a touristy town.

I am still assuming you are American, what is it about Ameruca that seems to envourage this sirt of behaviour? I always assumed that this sort of incident onky happened in films etc to add "colour" to the fiction. Could those fictions be fact? Swearing certsinly seems to have different "use values" on each side of the pond.

Listening yo the likes of the NRA and watching the mobs at election time I can understand if it is close to the norm. Of course, I also understand this is probably not a 100% thing, there are nice guys and neighbourhoods.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Asmodean

Girlfriend is buying a car. She's torn between a nasty-electrical Nissan Leaf and a horrificable Honda Civic, which is a shitty-ass Casio wrist watch with a built-in calculator only on four wheels. She likes it because it's "cool." Well... The plastics are from the cheapest part of Bangladesh, I suspect, the seat backs are too short, the seat cushions are too uncomfortable, the dashboard is a nasty mess, the apps on the computer (which doesn't really fit in its own hole, by the way) are in no way built to be operated at speed... It's terrible.

As for the Leaf... It has a fat, ugly ass full of batteries and can't even get from here to Kristiansand (Only about what... 300-ish km) on one charge. 
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

I could never be a waiter. I'd have spat in his food and thrown it in his face.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

Quote from: Tank on August 21, 2016, 09:19:45 AM

Same here, I would have added a kick in the balls as well.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on August 21, 2016, 09:30:23 AM

Same here, I would have added a kick in the balls as well.
Truth be told he has no balls. I doubt he'd have said anything to a waiter that might have fought back. He just saw a little girl he could get away with bullying.

Buddy. If he comes in again refuse to serve him.

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on August 21, 2016, 09:43:46 AM
Buddy. If he comes in again refuse to serve him.

:this:

What a disgusting individual.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

OldGit

O Grey One, you'll have to dispense some grumpy wisdom upon the girl friend.  Tell her to get a Skoda like mine.  ;)

Buddy, just think of the tips.  ;D

Tank

.... I just spent the rest of my shift imagining gouging his eyes out with a fork.

Buddy

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

No one

Don't take it personally Buddy. This guy had a medical condition, Maximus douche  bagus. It affects roughly 106% of the population.

Dave

Quote from: No one on August 21, 2016, 07:52:56 PM
Don't take it personally Buddy. This guy had a medical condition, Maximus douche  bagus. It affects roughly 106% of the population.

I'm in the 107th percentile then.

:grin:

As the saying goes, "Shit happens"; even to waitresses, phlebotomists, other drivers, cashout operatives and - me!

All part of life's rich pageant, why get all uppity - oh, unless obvious incompetence, aggression etc are very evidently displayed by the other side. Even then losing it rarely helps.

OK, 71.85 years and a dickey ticker do tend to modify one's outlook   ;)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

No one

Quote from: Tank on August 21, 2016, 07:16:54 PM
.... I just spent the rest of my shift imagining gouging his eyes out with a fork.

The blue ones are sweet. I find the brown ones bitter, maybe the finest example of this tastes like shit. Now the green ones, they are exquisite.