News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Richard Dawkins' New Book...

Started by nikkixsugar, May 01, 2008, 09:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikkixsugar

It's due out on November 24, 2009. (150 years since the original publication of On the Origin of Species) by Darwin. It's called Just a Theory? (all to familiar, am I right?) I'm really exited because it's supposed to provide "empirical" evidence for evolution. But do you guys really think it's going to be "empirical"? But then again it's Richard Dawkins, so I expect nothing more than genuis. How many of you guys have read "The God Delusion" or any other Dawkins book?

Love, Lust, & greed,

nikkixsugar
Hate to tell you, but.....

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

SteveS

Hey nikkixsugar - the only Dawkin's book I've read is The God Delusion.  I don't doubt that he can produce empirical evidence of evolution.  Plenty seems to exist (lots is referenced on the Talk Origins website).  I think this is a great move --- hard facts rather than philosophical argumentation.  Might turn a few more heads.  So yeah, I'm inclined to believe him --- if he says he's going to include empirical evidence then I think he will.

jamesatracy

Well, certainly, there are already a lot of books that document the empirical evidence for evolution. What I imagine that Dawkins will be able to bring to the table is a synthesis of all of this scattered information in a highly readable prose. Not only that, but his notoriety should guarantee a large audience for such a book - which is always a good thing.

jrosebud

I'm excited!  Has anyone read Unweaving the Rainbow?  The man can make reading about science give you more warm fuzzies than any spiritual experience I've ever had.

Dr. Dawkins recently visited the University of Texas to give a lecture on The God Delusion.  There were 500 seats in the building (they should have booked a bigger venue) and all of them were full; so many were turned away.  It was an amazing experience being with so many like-minded people.  I've often felt like the philosophical misfit in my community; on that night, not so.
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

nikkixsugar

Quote from: "SteveS"Hey nikkixsugar - the only Dawkin's book I've read is The God Delusion.  I don't doubt that he can produce empirical evidence of evolution.  Plenty seems to exist (lots is referenced on the Talk Origins website).  I think this is a great move --- hard facts rather than philosophical argumentation.  Might turn a few more heads.  So yeah, I'm inclined to believe him --- if he says he's going to include empirical evidence then I think he will.

I don't doubt that he can, there already has been, I'm just immensely exited for it, and was worried about it, but expect nothing more than his masterpiece! I have a countdown on my myspace, //myspace.com/sayingxsorry if you want to add me, just say you're from Happy Atheist Forum. (A cheap way to whore myself out, i know, right? hahaha.)

Love, Lust, & Greed,

nikkixsugar
Hate to tell you, but.....

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

SteveS

Yeah, I think I'm looking forward to it as well.  I've heard that some of his other books were very good, maybe I'll read another one.  If I was into myspace I'd happily join, but I'm not.  Only so many pastimes I can entertain....

thegodconclusion

my favorite dawkins book was my first, the bling watchmaker.  that was a typo, but i'm leaving it there.  that's good stuff.  the book is really called the blind watchmaker.  it's phenomenal.  

http://www.amazon.com/Blind-Watchmaker-Evidence-Evolution-Universe/dp/0393315703/

it's a great introduction to both dawkins and the facts underlying the theory of evolution.  next dawkins book i'd like to read is the ancestor's tale.

dawkins gave a great speech at the TED conference in '02.  i just discovered that you can download it as an mp3 if you'd like (in addition to the option to view it).  it's 25 minutes and, as always, is excellent.  i think the 'militant atheism' call is counterproductive, but to this audience it's fine.  his points are excellent, especially --> therefore to be elected president in the united states you can't be intelligent or honest.  so good.

here's the address:  http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/113
If you have a minute please sign my petition for Richard Dawkins.  Thanks!
http://thegodconclusion.wordpress.com/

MariaEvri

I read the god delusion resently. I believe he will gather all the strongest evidence and precent them in one book. Its definitely going in my wish list
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com