News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Bernstein was a larger than life genius. He was obviously familiar with the Second Viennese School when he was 19. I can hear an Alban Berg (whose music I enjoy) influence.

On second thought, probably more Bartok.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

ive told you once before that some musical pieces are just over my head.

this is another. it will take me a long time to figure out how to listen to what it is. i dont understand enoug h about music to see what hes doing

doesnt mean i dont like it. just that i dont know enogh to appreciate it

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

To me, the important thing is to enjoy whatever time I have left by listening to music and looking at art that speaks to me, without necessarily understanding the inner workings or the meaning of the works. But, people differ, and you probably heave a bigger need to understand things than I do.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

im more analytical, really.

i look at a piece of art and try to figure out what is in it that makes it what it is

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

This just sends tingles up my spine. I was in a bar in Chicago in the late 90's. There was karaoke going on. The usual 95% singers and 10% comedy types. This girl got up and sang this , un-fucking believable!!! The whole place erupted in applause when she finished. Still one of me favourite female vocalists.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Listen to Autumn Leaves, as might have been played by Chopin, Mozart, Mendelsson. and a few of the masters.  Educational for we sluggards.

Asmodean

Some Radical Face to start the day.

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Yesh, I listen to the "entire spectrum" of music, but lean heavily towards this kind of laid-back, easy on the ears sort of stuff, perferably with good lyrics, and pretty much the exact opposite - aggressive industrial rock, metalcore and the like.

My playlists are... Weird. But also, varied.

Because The Asmo was inspired by that other post what had an mouse in chainmail in it;
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

Amazing vocals, even after all those years

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

The Magic Pudding.

Tits... WhY?

I don't know, I blame Darwin

Those birds attracted to the partner with the biggest bluest beak, led astray for scientific purposes by a blue balloon on a stick.

Darwin does has a lot to answer for.
I could hit you with a stick, that may cure your affliction.

Only for a while I expect.

The Magic Pudding.

The Magic Pudding.

hermes2015

The evocative Spring Fire composed by Arnold Bax, whose music I adore. A strong Ravel influence can be heard in the piece.

― Charles Eames

billy rubin