News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

President hosts Christian clergy

Started by fester30, April 19, 2011, 04:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fester30

Yes, I know President Obama acknowledged the existence of the non-religious a couple months ago.  However, he continues to bow to religious groups over non-religious groups, and to Christians over other religious groups.  He hosted Christian clergy today.  When will he host a group from the SCA, AA, or other freethinker group?  Just frustrated me when I saw that.

Tank

Send him an email asking exactly those questions. If all American Atheists make enough fuss people will have to take notice. This is one question Dawkins asked; how come there are more atheists in the USA than Jews yet the Jewish lobby is world renowned for its effectiveness in getting the US to cough up billions to Israel?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

fester30

Quote from: "Tank"Send him an email asking exactly those questions. If all American Atheists make enough fuss people will have to take notice. This is one question Dawkins asked; how come there are more atheists in the USA than Jews yet the Jewish lobby is world renowned for its effectiveness in getting the US to cough up billions to Israel?

Because it's not just the Jewish lobby doing it.  Believe it or not, most protestant Christian groups believe the USA should support Israel for one of two reasons...

1.  Some believe Israel is still God's chosen people.
2.  Jews and Christians have common adversaries... Muslims.

Tank

Quote from: "fester30"
Quote from: "Tank"Send him an email asking exactly those questions. If all American Atheists make enough fuss people will have to take notice. This is one question Dawkins asked; how come there are more atheists in the USA than Jews yet the Jewish lobby is world renowned for its effectiveness in getting the US to cough up billions to Israel?

Because it's not just the Jewish lobby doing it.  Believe it or not, most protestant Christian groups believe the USA should support Israel for one of two reasons...

1.  Some believe Israel is still God's chosen people.
2.  Jews and Christians have common adversaries... Muslims.
Yes, you're quite right to point out that there are Jewish supporters among the Christians. Not that I'm knocking the Jewish lobby as such, good luck to them, if they can screw the US treasury why not? It's just annoying that Atheists have yet to find a cohesive voice and as atheism isn't a dogma I don't think it's likely we ever will.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Whitney

Quote from: "fester30"Yes, I know President Obama acknowledged the existence of the non-religious a couple months ago.  However, he continues to bow to religious groups over non-religious groups, and to Christians over other religious groups.  He hosted Christian clergy today.  When will he host a group from the SCA, AA, or other freethinker group?  Just frustrated me when I saw that.

Is he directly meeting with them or are they just visiting the white house?  Various atheist groups took a trip to washington last year for a scheduled meeting with washington officials in the white house but did not get a chance to see the president.

http://www.secularnewsdaily.com/2010/02 ... t-has-fit/

fester30

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "fester30"Yes, I know President Obama acknowledged the existence of the non-religious a couple months ago.  However, he continues to bow to religious groups over non-religious groups, and to Christians over other religious groups.  He hosted Christian clergy today.  When will he host a group from the SCA, AA, or other freethinker group?  Just frustrated me when I saw that.

Is he directly meeting with them or are they just visiting the white house?  Various atheist groups took a trip to washington last year for a scheduled meeting with washington officials in the white house but did not get a chance to see the president.

http://www.secularnewsdaily.com/2010/02 ... t-has-fit/

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/obama-resurrection-our-savior-jesus-chri
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/04/19/2810347/obama-christs-travails-put-others.html

Okay okay so it's the Easter thing.  Still.  Grr.