News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

So, I discovered this video editing software...

Started by xSilverPhinx, May 08, 2020, 02:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

...and 6839246247623723 hours later I'm trying to learn how to use a greenscreen. This is the result. :grin:

This is my first try. Be kind, heh :P

Software: Kdenlive (open source software, totally free!)  ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 08, 2020, 02:45:38 AM
...and 6839246247623723 hours later I'm trying to learn how to use a greenscreen. This is the result. :grin:

I don't have to be kind, because it really is a good and creative first attempt. Video editing is something I've never done, but this makes me think I should give it a try. Every time I see a review of a free video editor, I download it just to see how it works, but then I uninstall it again.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

:rofl: Brilliant.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on May 08, 2020, 03:17:05 AM
^^^I like it.  :smilenod:
I love that vicious frog!  :lol:

Yeah, it's quite ferocious, isn't it? :lol:

I took it from this clip:

I couldn't properly fit its face in the frame, though. Trying to figure how to do that.  :P

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 08, 2020, 04:45:19 AM

I don't have to be kind, because it really is a good and creative first attempt. Video editing is something I've never done, but this makes me think I should give it a try. Every time I see a review of a free video editor, I download it just to see how it works, but then I uninstall it again.

Thanks, Hermes :grin:

I've loved editing videos and music tracks since I was a kid. Back then I only had Windows Movie Maker 2.6 though, which is very limited of course, but this...this is a whole new world.  ;D Kdenlive has a steeper learning curve and not a very intuitive interface (at least to me), but it's very rewarding once you get over the frustration of not having a clue. :grin:  There are also plenty of tutorial videos available on Youtube.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on May 08, 2020, 09:25:31 AM

:rofl: Brilliant.

:lol: I'm glad you enjoyed it!  ;D

hermes2015

I've just downloaded the latest version of Kdenlive to play with it.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 08, 2020, 12:08:45 PM

Have fun! :grin:

And share your creations?  ;D :P

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 08, 2020, 12:48:06 PM

This is just out of curiosity that I want  to see how good a free video editor can be. I will probably stick to my painting and sculpture projects as outlets for my creative urges! If I do want to share any video files, could please you tell me how you did yours? So far I have only linked to YouTube videos on HAF.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 08, 2020, 02:49:36 PM

This is just out of curiosity that I want  to see how good a free video editor can be. I will probably stick to my painting and sculpture projects as outlets for my creative urges! If I do want to share any video files, could please you tell me how you did yours? So far I have only linked to YouTube videos on HAF.

:grin:

I uploaded the video to my Youtube channel and linked it here just as I would any other YT video. But if you don't have a YT channel and don't want to create one, I think there are simple file sharing sites which to can upload movie files to so others can download them.   

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 08, 2020, 04:55:57 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on May 08, 2020, 02:49:36 PM

:grin:

I uploaded the video to my Youtube channel and linked it here just as I would any other YT video. But if you don't have a YT channel and don't want to create one, I think there are simple file sharing sites which to can upload movie files to so others can download them.

Thanks for that. I was guessing that would be the case, so will investigate whether or not Imgur hosts videos.
― Charles Eames

joeactor

I like it! Great job!

I didn't get the greenscreen thing until eons of video dabbling.

Have to check out the software in case it's better than what I've got (Using Sony Movie Studio)

hermes2015

An update on my Kdenlive test drive: I find it quite friendly and it seems to have many good features. However, I have found two difficulties with it. The one problem is that adding a cross-fade transition between two clips is not intuitive and a bit cumbersome. The other thing I found was that were very few possibilities to set the rendering quality of the output video.

I looked around a bit and found another totally free video editing application called OpenShot:

https://www.openshot.org

It seems to suit my hands better: for one thing one simply drags the beginning of a clip over the end of the previous one to overlap them and it creates a cross-fade transition automatically. When you then render the output movie, there are many configuration choices and tweaks available. I see even picture-in-picture effects and green screen effects are very easy to do with OpenShot, which is what I will probably use when I need to do some video editing.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: joeactor on May 08, 2020, 05:55:16 PM
I like it! Great job!

I didn't get the greenscreen thing until eons of video dabbling.

Have to check out the software in case it's better than what I've got (Using Sony Movie Studio)

Thanks, Joe! :grin:

Yeah, I'm still learning the very basics of greenscreen but I can already see a world of possibilities. :tellmemore: