News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

A race to watch.

Started by Tank, December 06, 2021, 08:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Next Sunday the 12th Dec 2021 the last race of this years Formula 1 calender will take place in Abu Dhabi.

For the first time since 1974 the two leading drivers, Max Verstappen (not yet a world champion) and Louise Hamilton (7 times world champion) will go into the last race on identical points (369.5 each). So this race is the decider. If they both don't finish then Max gets his first world championship as he has won one more race this season 9 vs 8. If Hamilton wins the championship he beats Michael Schumacher's record of 7 world championships and becomes the all time greatest world champion driver. He is already the only F1 driver to have won over 100 race, he took his 103rd win this weekend to draw level with Max.

So will Max risk taking out Hamilton to take his first championship? It wouldn't be the first time that has happened. Senna did it to Prost and then Prost did it to Senna back in the day. There is no love lost between these guys.

We'll have to wait to see next week!!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

I hope that Max wins. He is the most talented F1 driver at this moment. Hamilton won some sympathy points with me when he was interviewed for Dutch TV, but it is about time that someone else takes the F1 throne.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

this kind of stuff is the only thing tbat makes me wish i had a television set.

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

Tank

I want Hamilton to win this one. Next year there are new regulations so all bets are off and it's a new fresh start so I don't really care.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny II

Quote from: billy rubin on December 07, 2021, 01:10:05 AM

You have to tune your ear to expect 1950s BBC pronunciation before you read this.

QuoteTelevision set
A television set or television receiver, more commonly called the television, TV, TV set, tube, telly, or tele, is a device that combines a tuner, display, and loudspeakers, for the purpose of viewing and hearing television broadcasting through satellites or cables, or using it as a computer monitor.

You'd probably find it on the internet, or nets, somewhere.
Though why you'd bother I can't imagine.

Those words aren't yours, they're borrowed and tired.
Reuse is the second best alternative
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

The last race was mayhem! It was at a new track in Jehad, Saudi Arabia. It was only finished 2 weeks ago. It has 27 corners and is the 2nd longest track on the calendar. It is narrow and twisty with hardly any run-off areas. The race was stopped twice to clear bits of crashed car off the track so what should have been 1.5 hours became 2.5 hours. 5 out if 20 cars were wrecked. A front wing alone comes in at $300k! It was a very exciting race indeed.

Lewis Hamilton and others had rainbow flags on the crash helmets. There were lots of western lady commentators in evidence as will :)

billy rubin

how do they surface the track? or do tbey just let the cars burn in rubber from tbe tires?

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

billy rubin

Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 07, 2021, 12:29:05 PM

You have to tune your ear to expect 1950s BBC pronunciation before you read this.

QuoteTelevision set
A television set or television receiver, more commonly called the television, TV, TV set, tube, telly, or tele, is a device that combines a tuner, display, and loudspeakers, for the purpose of viewing and hearing television broadcasting through satellites or cables, or using it as a computer monitor.

You'd probably find it on the internet, or nets, somewhere.
Though why you'd bother I can't imagine.

Those words aren't yours, they're borrowed and tired.
Reuse is the second best alternative

if i try to come up with a british broadcadt voice its generally benny hill

Tom62

I wouldn't  mind if Hamilton would win. Max is still very young, he has a very aggressive driving style and I find him less sympathetic than Hamilton.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on December 08, 2021, 12:26:27 AM
how do they surface the track? or do tbey just let the cars burn in rubber from tbe tires?

There track is just tarmac rubbered-in by practice, qualifying and other races over the weekend.

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on December 08, 2021, 05:57:12 AM
I wouldn't  mind if Hamilton would win. Max is still very young, he has a very aggressive driving style and I find him less sympathetic than Hamilton.

It's Catch 22 with Max. His 'FU' aggression and fantastic skill is part of what has put him where he is and made this year so exciting. He believes the World Championship is his and Hamilton's has to take from him.

Tom62

Hurray, we've got our first Dutch F1 world champion.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: Tom62 on December 12, 2021, 02:48:16 PM
Hurray, we've got our first Dutch F1 world champion.

What a race!!! Fantastic stuff. Roll on 2022 with new cars!

Tank

Mercedes have lodged some complaints disputing the result of the race which if upheld would mean Hamilton wins the race and thus the championship.  ::)

You can follow the shenanigans here https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1