News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Deborah Jin Engineered New Quantum States of Matter — Twice

Started by Randy, August 10, 2020, 01:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

Deborah Jin

I found this a fascinating read. I'll just quote a part of the article as it started off my curiosity.
Quote"She probably would have gotten the Nobel." University of Chicago physicist Kathryn J. Levin doesn't hesitate when asked about fellow physicist Deborah S. Jin, affectionately known as Debbie.

She doesn't have to try hard to make her case: during her short career, Jin was honored by one award after another. She invented new experimental techniques that led her to engineer new quantum states of matter twice, and her experiments were inspirational to many other physicists. Some of her work directly influenced theorists working on complex problems such as that of perfect electrical conductivity. She was a quiet yet strong and unforgettable presence wherever she went and a dedicated mentor that sought to lead by example.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Recusant

Never having heard of this outstanding scientist before, I appreciated the chance to learn about her and her work. Thank you, Randy:thumbsup:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Randy

Yeah, at 47 at that. I tried to find out what kind of cancer she had and if she suffered any. I know of one person who never knew he had cancer and died one day feeling perfectly healthy. Then there's my father who suffered a lot. So the range is somewhat vast.

Anyway, there isn't anything more than what was written in the article about it. :(
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey