News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Historic event

Started by Icarus, December 08, 2019, 03:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Today, December 7th, is the 78th anniversary of the infamous attack at Pearl Harbor.  We have a whole different attitude about the Japanese now.  I believe that they have a whole different opinion of the US as well.

One of the high ranking Japanese Admirals, at that time, is said to have uttered these words: I fear that we have awakened a sleeping giant.

And so it was.

No one

Icarus

The sleeping giant was more motivated by the music of the day.  There was a spirit of national unity that has seldom been seen in these latter days.  Our music was, and still is, for we nostalgic geriatrics, motivational.  The BBC symphony has captured the essence, power, and skillful execution of the instrumental sounds of the 40s and 50s.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-cgygWdJOE

billy rubin

japan is an odd place. they still havent come to grips with their primary role in starting the pacific war.

i had a korean brother in law, born and brought up in japan. in university he learned that his japanese fellow students were being taught in school that korea had "invited" japaneze troops to occupy the country at the requezt of the government. they had no clue that japan's act of invading the mainland was aggrezsive.

unit 731 is not even in the discussion.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Ecurb Noselrub

Actually, getting annihilated by the US is one of the best things that can happen to a country.  Germany, Japan, Italy - all doing very well, comparatively.  We help those we defeat.  If I were a very poor country, I would consider declaring war on the US, firing a couple of rounds, surrendering at the first opportunity, and then accepting all the aid with whatever conditions come with it.  Within 10 years that country could be in the G7. 

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 08, 2019, 05:30:03 PM
Actually, getting annihilated by the US is one of the best things that can happen to a country.  ...
Never mind, I don't think you're The Most Interesting Man In The World anymore.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Magdalena on December 08, 2019, 05:39:59 PM
Actually, getting annihilated by the US is one of the best things that can happen to a country.  ...

Oh, come on. Don't take me seriously.  That is a mistake 57% of the time.

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 08, 2019, 10:51:01 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on December 08, 2019, 05:39:59 PM

Oh, come on. Don't take me seriously.  That is a mistake 57% of the time.
Yeah. Must be Christian humor.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

well, we didnt do haiti any good, tbh.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

Could it be that Billy Rubin is on the list of the most interesting man in the world?  ....His brother in law is Korean and his sister in law is Mongolian, he has credentials in anthropology or something, chooses to live in the Appalachian boondocks, rides motorcycles...really go fast ones, regularly drives a truck loaded with salt water, prefers the letter Z where the letter S belongs, Is that an east European quirk?..................this is a mysterious guy.  We do have some interesting HAF members don't we?   

I have been around this forum for quite some time now and I am constantly impressed with the variety, versatility, and talents  that we have.

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on December 09, 2019, 01:20:32 AM
Could it be that Billy Rubin is on the list of the most interesting man in the world?  ....His brother in law is Korean and his sister in law is Mongolian, he has credentials in anthropology or something, chooses to live in the Appalachian boondocks, rides motorcycles...really go fast ones, regularly drives a truck loaded with salt water, prefers the letter Z where the letter S belongs, Is that an east European quirk?..................this is a mysterious guy.  We do have some interesting HAF members don't we?   

I have been around this forum for quite some time now and I am constantly impressed with the variety, versatility, and talents  that we have.
Yes, maybe Billy Rubin can even open a piƱata with a wink and a smile.
;D

No one

I don't always look delighted,
but when I do, you can bet chemicals are involved.

Magdalena

Quote from: No one on December 09, 2019, 02:29:26 AM
I don't always look delighted,
but when I do, you can bet chemicals are involved.
Ha!  ;D
I think I want to tattoo this somewhere. Right next to: In vino veritas.

...But then, I'm gonna have to explain the whole thing if someone asks what it means and one day I might not feel like it.  :(

billy rubin

Quote from: Icarus on December 09, 2019, 01:20:32 AM
Could it be that Billy Rubin is on the list of the most interesting man in the world?  ...

im notvinteresting. my kids tell me so most every day

Icarus

Historic events of the day April 12:

1955: The Salk vaccine against polio was declared safe and effective

1961: Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gregarian became the first man to fly in space. He orbited earth one time and returned to earth safely.

1963: Civil rights leader Martin L king was arrested and jailed in Birmingham Alabama.  During his time behind bars he wrote his : Letter from Birmingham jail