News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

I found this a while ago and I said LOOK LOOK LOOK at this! to my wife
She was aware of it, got it on some tinny feed on her phone already months ago.
Well, anyway I think this and the others in the series are superb.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Icarus

I hink that this group are probably French.  If so, :heyhey: this one is for Viojit.

Bad Penny II

You search youtube for your favs but you have to keep checking, even if they're dead.
Especialy if they're dead.

Better off listening to the record
Ye

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.

billy rubin

haven't listened to this in ages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lHOYvIhLxo

and old leonard, too. i cannot pretend to his ability but it sometimes seems like his timing is a shorter than what i would do if actually could do it. maybe it just exposes my own lack of musical understanding

the second movement has come into my head randomly for like forty years. odd. the guy has been dead for almost 200 years now and yet produced something that lived long after him.

is doing that of any value? the teacher of ecclesiastes called it vanity to think so, but i think the teacher was wrong. nothing is ever repeated, nothing comes around again. to think so merely exposes a shallowness of understanding.

sorry. just thinking out loud. i'm waiting to get a call to report to my new job, and it's to cold to ride a motorcycle today.

lol

hermes2015

Lenny was in his element when he was conducting loud, very expressive music. His Shostakovich symphony number 5 is still one of my favourites among the few recordings of it I own. This is the second movement.

He was such a complex, intelligent, fun character. I wish I had known him.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

well i was just starting to listen to herbert von karajan do brahms symphony no 1 because i don't know diddly squat about brahms

but you spoiled that for me

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Shostakovich+symphony+number+5+bernstein+youtube&&view=detail&mid=00CCF930069C04FB7A6900CCF930069C04FB7A69&&FORM=VRDGAR

billy rubin

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on October 29, 2020, 10:21:36 PM
jeez that's over my head

If you are referring to the Shostakovich 5, I hope you mean that you found it overwhelming. Isn't classical music an exciting journey? I can still remember how excited I was when I heard Bernstein's recording for the first time when I was about 22. I rushed out to buy the LP the next morning and invited some friends over to hear it.

The 5 has a fascinating history: if you aren't familiar with it, it makes interesting reading. I am in the camp that believes Shostakovich didn't capitulate, but was playing a very clever game and the 5 was actually a fuck you gesture to Stalin.

Shostakovich wrote two beautiful piano concertos that are worth exploring.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Shostakovich had a gentler side.

― Charles Eames

billy rubin

well i meant it when i said that piece was over my head.

im ztill trying to transition from rudyard kiplings poetry to t s eliot, who i love when he doesnt piss me off

got to do more listening clearly

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

billy rubin

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on November 01, 2020, 09:54:40 PM
still trying to learn something about brahms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXo8KnfPCXM

Oh, that is heaven! Two of my favourite people: Hilary Hahn with Esa-Pekka Salonen conducting. That is the creme de la creme. By coincidence I was listening to the Brahms Variations on a Theme by Haydn yesterday, with the lovely St Anthony Chorale as the first variation, played by the Budapest Festival under Ivan Fischer.

Brahms is perceived as not being in the same class as Beethoven, but Schoenberg said that Brahms was a source of inspiration for him in his radical experiments. That is good enough for me.
― Charles Eames