Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Pleased to Meet You

Started by Dede, February 16, 2020, 06:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: Dede on February 16, 2020, 09:35:17 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on February 16, 2020, 07:13:43 PM
Hello Dede. Welcome to our warm little family - I am sure you will enjoy interacting with all the interesting HAF members. You and I seem to have quite a lot in common, since I am also SA-born; in my case half-Jewish with English as first language. I am happy to hear that you practise sculpture and photography, which are two of my interests as well.
Delighted !  I'll participate in the photography group, sure ... I confess to using Auto mode often; for me it's about the composition mostly and I love macro of flowers. Been doing pottery for 50-odd years, handbuilt pieces and sculpture. I dabbled in glass fusing too, and making jewelry from silver clay as well as copper and bronze clay. Thank you for reaching out and saying Hallo!

After I got my final degree I was planning to drop science to become a ceramic sculptor, but life had other plans for me. I've also made silver jewellery, but in the traditional way.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on February 16, 2020, 08:09:03 PM
Hello Dede

When I read your intro I thought you were hermes2015 in drag ...

:rofl:

You cheeky boy!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bluenose

Hello Dede, greetings and salutations from the Land Downunder. I reckon you'll fit in just fine!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dede

Quote from: billy rubin on February 16, 2020, 09:49:16 PM
geology?

you re already a winner in my bbook.

Hi Billy, you too? I read geology textbooks for fun :-)  Are you by any chance also a rockhound? I love tumbling my finds (lived in Oregon several years and collected some nice agates).

Tank

Morning Dede

What is your avatar image?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

Quote from: Dede link=topic=16460.msg397291#msg397291
Hi Billy, you too? I read geology textbooks for fun :-)  Are you by any chance also a rockhound? I love tumbling my finds (lived in Oregon several years and collected some nice agates).

i try not to collect rockz but i cant help myself. my house is littered with interezting pebblez, cobbles, and some cores. mostly leverites, to be honezt.

oregon is beautiful even without th e rocks. zpectacular coastline.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dede

Quote from: Tank on February 17, 2020, 08:18:39 AM
Morning Dede

hi Tank, my avatar image is a line drawing of a type of African savannah bird, namely a guinea fowl. I had a scarf, long ago, printed with this design and hand-copied it because I love the African 'feel' of it - in Afrikaans a guinea fowl is a 'tarentaal'.

Dede

Quote from: billy rubin on February 17, 2020, 12:20:48 PM
Quote from: Dede link=topic=16460.msg397291#msg397291

i try not to collect rockz but i cant help myself. my house is littered with interezting pebblez, cobbles, and some cores. mostly leverites, to be honezt.

oregon is beautiful even without th e rocks. zpectacular coastline.

chuckling ... yes, rockhounding is addictive. Wherever I go, I pay attention to the pebbles underfoot ... and if looking at a landscape, my mind is watching for geological manifestations like uplift, sedimentation, conglomerate, whatsoever.
There are several fantastically interesting areas near where I live on the Central Coast of California, one is Point Lobos where an ancient submarine canyon is exposed, after uplift. Geologists come from all over the world to study it. Also, only 80 miles or so away, is the Pinnacles National Monument which is a very ancient volcano, 90% of which was carried north by the San Andreas Fault (then buried, which slowed its erosion).  Almost two hundred miles to the south is the other 10% remnant, on the other side of the fault, and much more eroded.  This stuff is just mind-bogglingly intriguing!

Tank

Quote from: Dede on February 17, 2020, 05:50:47 PM
Morning Dede

hi Tank, my avatar image is a line drawing of a type of African savannah bird, namely a guinea fowl. I had a scarf, long ago, printed with this design and hand-copied it because I love the African 'feel' of it - in Afrikaans a guinea fowl is a 'tarentaal'.

I have a guinea fowl in the freezer. I think it's time to defrost it! :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on February 17, 2020, 06:39:15 PM
Morning Dede

Sounds tasty.  :yum:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, Dede. I hope that you enjoy your time here.  :)

:animwelcome:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Bluenose

Quote from: Tank on February 17, 2020, 06:39:15 PM
Morning Dede

Yum!  I love Guinea fowl.  I'll be over to help you deal with it!  LOL
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

Dede

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 18, 2020, 12:49:48 AM
Welcome, Dede!
Thank you, Dark Lightning ... I see we're practically neighbors (on an international forum, yes) :-)
I've done a lot of reading of old posts, since I joined a day ago, and really like it here.

Dede

Quote from: Recusant on February 17, 2020, 09:07:09 PM
Hello and welcome to HAF, Dede. I hope that you enjoy your time here.  :)

:animwelcome:
thank you, Recusant ... I am indeed enjoying the atmosphere here. Glad I found you folks!