News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Re: I Need Help From All You Native Speakers Once Again

Started by OldGit, December 14, 2014, 10:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 14, 2018, 12:11:40 AM
Quote from: Sandra Craft on December 13, 2018, 11:57:11 PM
I think "severe" would work, also "traumatic" and for that matter "devastating".  Altho I suppose it depends on whether you're describing the cancer's physical or emotional effects.  Rapid and progressive could work for a more physical description.  I know there's a better word, but I just can't remember it.

They're describing physical effects. 'Rapid and progressive' captures the meaning but there is a word limit so maybe it could be called 'aggressive cancer' instead? Or 'fast-growing cancer'? :notsure:

"Aggressive" sounds right.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sandra Craft on December 14, 2018, 02:14:07 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 14, 2018, 12:11:40 AM
Quote from: Sandra Craft on December 13, 2018, 11:57:11 PM
I think "severe" would work, also "traumatic" and for that matter "devastating".  Altho I suppose it depends on whether you're describing the cancer's physical or emotional effects.  Rapid and progressive could work for a more physical description.  I know there's a better word, but I just can't remember it.

They're describing physical effects. 'Rapid and progressive' captures the meaning but there is a word limit so maybe it could be called 'aggressive cancer' instead? Or 'fast-growing cancer'? :notsure:

"Aggressive" sounds right.

Excellent!  ;D Thank you.  :thumbsup:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

'aggressive' is used to describe cancer that is difficult to cure and is growing in the  patient.

Note to self. Finish reading thread before commenting.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Sherman Firefly on December 14, 2018, 08:01:22 AM
'aggressive' is used to describe cancer that is difficult to cure and is growing in the  patient.

What is a good word for an administrator who changes his user name every couple of days?

jumbojak

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 14, 2018, 04:48:42 PM

What is a good word for an administrator who changes his user name every couple of days?

The Boss.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

:P

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on December 14, 2018, 09:51:30 PM

The Boss.

:P

Tank

Bored.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Tank on December 19, 2018, 10:42:08 AM

Bored.

There you go, back to 'Tank' :grin:

xSilverPhinx

Cancer staging determines disease progression and prognostics. Stages range from 0 to 4, with the latter being end-stage cancer. What would be a good way to say the cancer got worse in terms of stage progression? As in, went from stage 3 to 4, for instance.

:notsure:

jumbojak

The first word that comes to mind is "deteriorated" but that's not quite what I think you're looking to say.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on December 19, 2018, 10:38:40 PM
The first word that comes to mind is "deteriorated" but that's not quite what I think you're looking to say.

Can a stage deteriorate? I'm not sure...

jumbojak

Cancer no, but health could depending on how you word it. I don't think it's quite the word you're looking for but I do think it's in the ballpark.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on December 20, 2018, 12:47:15 AM
Cancer no, but health could depending on how you word it. I don't think it's quite the word you're looking for but I do think it's in the ballpark.

OK.  :bigspecs:

jimbob

Silver,

I lost my wife to cancer, and if the devil did exist, it's name would be Cancer.

i attempt to conceal my emotions, but my wishes for your recovery are the strongest I could possible feel toward you.