News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Re: I Need Help From All You Native Speakers Once Again

Started by OldGit, December 14, 2014, 10:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on December 26, 2017, 06:58:20 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 26, 2017, 06:44:35 PM
I have another one for you fine folks:

If two or more people are staying together in a maternity ward room, is it correct to say that they are "in joint accommodation"?

I am denser than osmium, so I'm afraid I don't understand the question. Please elaborate.

My bad, I'll try to elaborate.

In hospital wards when more than one person stay in a room (separate beds of course) can you say those people are in joint accommodation? Or shared accommodation? :notsure:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

If two or more people are staying together in a maternity ward room, is it correct to say that they are "in joint accommodation"?

Need a bit more context. 'In joint accomodation' is ambiguious and could mean living together.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

If many people are in a ward, they simply 'shared a ward' together or with.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on December 26, 2017, 07:14:53 PM

Need a bit more context. 'In joint accomodation' is ambiguious and could mean living together.

Quote from: Tank on December 26, 2017, 07:16:29 PM
If many people are in a ward, they simply 'shared a ward' together or with.

Noted.  :)

xSilverPhinx

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on December 26, 2017, 07:27:41 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 26, 2017, 07:24:30 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on December 26, 2017, 07:19:55 PM
Shared accommodation sounds good to me.

Dankie!

You're welcome and that's impressive!

:lol: Not really. I've been to a number of places in South Africa (a long time ago) and that's pretty much all I picked up there.

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 26, 2017, 07:31:30 PM

Dankie!

:lol: Not really. I've been to a number of places in South Africa (a long time ago) and that's pretty much all I picked up there.

My first language is English, but most people here are pretty bi-,  tri- or multilingual.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on December 26, 2017, 07:39:23 PM

Dankie!

My first language is English, but most people here are pretty bi-,  tri- or multilingual.

I guess that's what you get when lots of different peoples with their own languages and cultures live in a country?

The most time I spent was in Pretoria, did you know that Jacaranda trees are originally from Brazil? Especially from the central-western region, which suffers from seasonal drought as well. Those trees seem to be well adapted to the climate there.

I was very impressed. If I could, I would go to South Africa again.

:tellmemore:

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 26, 2017, 07:13:49 PM

In hospital wards when more than one person stay in a room (separate beds of course) can you say those people are in joint accommodation? Or shared accommodation? :notsure:

A semi-private room?
"People are in a semi-private room?"

Or, "People are in a multi-occupancy patient room?"

:shrug:

"People are in shared accommodation." --That's good too.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

You said that the two were in a maternity ward.  In that case, Joint accommodation may have some undesired connotations for dirty old men.  :-[  Hint: "Joint" is one of the many slang expressions that refers to the penis) 

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 26, 2017, 07:55:05 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on December 26, 2017, 07:39:23 PM

Dankie!

I guess that's what you get when lots of different peoples with their own languages and cultures live in a country?

The most time I spent was in Pretoria, did you know that Jacaranda trees are originally from Brazil? Especially from the central-western region, which suffers from seasonal drought as well. Those trees seem to be well adapted to the climate there.

I was very impressed. If I could, I would go to South Africa again.

:tellmemore:

Many parts of Pretoria look like that every spring. Pretoria and Johannesburg are both very green cities, with Johannesburg classified as a forest.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on December 26, 2017, 09:36:23 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 26, 2017, 07:13:49 PM

A semi-private room?
"People are in a semi-private room?"

Or, "People are in a multi-occupancy patient room?"

:shrug:

"People are in shared accommodation." --That's good too.

Too many options to choose from! :lol:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on December 26, 2017, 11:50:26 PM
You said that the two were in a maternity ward.  In that case, Joint accommodation may have some undesired connotations for dirty old men.  :-[  Hint: "Joint" is one of the many slang expressions that refers to the penis)

:o

I did not know that...