News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

HAF Virtual Meetup

Started by Whitney, February 18, 2012, 06:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philosoraptor

Err, the only thing about Skype is that it seems to lag pretty badly if you have more than 3 people connected on one call.  At least that has been my experience attempting to Skype with family during the holidays.  I don't know how it would work with a big group of people, but of course there's no harm in trying.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Tank

Quote from: philosoraptor on February 19, 2012, 10:02:00 AM
Err, the only thing about Skype is that it seems to lag pretty badly if you have more than 3 people connected on one call.  At least that has been my experience attempting to Skype with family during the holidays.  I don't know how it would work with a big group of people, but of course there's no harm in trying.
Never tried it except one-to-one. Are you (or is anybody) aware of a better multi-user system?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

joeactor

Quote from: Tank on February 19, 2012, 10:03:23 AM
Quote from: philosoraptor on February 19, 2012, 10:02:00 AM
Never tried it except one-to-one. Are you (or is anybody) aware of a better multi-user system?

Google+ has Hangouts - I've been on a couple with multiple video feeds that seemed to work ok.

Skype's good for me too.

Not sure on time/day, but will join if available...
(I'll pm you Tank!)

Amicale

If Skype crashes or lags badly, an alternate backup is Paltalk. http://www.paltalk.com/

I know that it works well, even in a chatroom of more than a couple dozen people. It works best if one person hosts the chat and lets others talk by acknowledging them when they select their little 'hand raised/want to talk' thing. Also you can type all you want in the chat window :) and Paltalk works with video too.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: Amicale on February 19, 2012, 05:51:45 PM
If Skype crashes or lags badly, an alternate backup is Paltalk. http://www.paltalk.com/

I know that it works well, even in a chatroom of more than a couple dozen people. It works best if one person hosts the chat and lets others talk by acknowledging them when they select their little 'hand raised/want to talk' thing. Also you can type all you want in the chat window :) and Paltalk works with video too.
I shall look into this.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tom62

I never liked the idea to give a company my credit-card data for what supposed to be a free service. That is one of the reasons why I never joined Skype. Anyway, it looks like that you'd need a Skype Premium account for participating in group video calls.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

DeterminedJuliet

Hellz ya, I'm in!

Evenings standard eastern time are best for me, but I'm pretty flexible.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Amicale

Quote from: Tom62 on February 19, 2012, 06:13:57 PM
I never liked the idea to give a company my credit-card data for what supposed to be a free service. That is one of the reasons why I never joined Skype. Anyway, it looks like that you'd need a Skype Premium account for participating in group video calls.

Just for the record, you don't need to give Skype your credit card. :) I've used Skype for free in the past to communicate with students overseas, both video, and audio. I don't know about the group calls. I do know, though, that once you get more than 4 people in the room, it does start to lag a little bit due to the various net connections. Eh, I think it'd still be fun.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Tom62

Quote from: Amicale on February 19, 2012, 06:43:41 PM
Just for the record, you don't need to give Skype your credit card. :) I've used Skype for free in the past to communicate with students overseas, both video, and audio. I don't know about the group calls.
You are right. Skype no longer requests my credit card, as long as I stick to the freebies (which unfortunately excludes group calls).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Whitney

Quote from: Tank on February 19, 2012, 06:11:41 PM

I shall look into this.

I have used paltalk...the problem with it is that some of the ads contain viruses so you either have to have awesome antivirus software or use it on a computer you don't care about.  I have a netbook for that purpose.

Whitney

For skype, I've used it for group calls of up to 20 people (convention planning).  I didn't notice any lag but I'm also on a fiber optic connection and I think many of those calling in were on similarly fast connections.  I have not used it for group calls with people from overseas; but have had success with just one person from overseas.  Not sure about the video though; most people don't use it.  We also used it combined with people calling in via a conference line...via freeconferencecall.com (however that might be an expensive option for anyone calling in from out of area....which is why skype to skype is nice).

Google hangout would be a good alternative...I heard it was limited to 10 people; not sure if that is true.

Tank

Quote from: Whitney on February 20, 2012, 12:32:19 AM

I shall look into this.

I have used paltalk...the problem with it is that some of the ads contain viruses so you either have to have awesome antivirus software or use it on a computer you don't care about.  I have a netbook for that purpose.
Well the virus risk rules paltalk out.

Amicale

Quote from: Tank on February 20, 2012, 08:12:32 AM
Quote from: Whitney on February 20, 2012, 12:32:19 AM

I shall look into this.

Well the virus risk rules paltalk out.

Wow. I didn't know that about Paltalk. Last time I used it was a couple years ago. Yikes. That might explain a few issues I had with my computer shortly after...  :P

Ali

I just looked at Skype and it looks like group video requires a fee.  Which is not to say that we need a video, just thought it would be nice to see your smiling faces.

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on February 22, 2012, 10:23:50 PM
I just looked at Skype and it looks like group video requires a fee.  Which is not to say that we need a video, just thought it would be nice to see your smiling faces.

Be careful what you wish for.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).