News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

levi_athan

Quote from: Davin on September 11, 2012, 08:08:29 PM
I FINK U FREEKY by DIE ANTWOORD

I have been looking for this!! I saw it at a party and had no idea who it was. You don't even want to know what I was googling to try and find it.
beep boop boop beep beep

Ihateyoumike

Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Davin

Quote from: levi_athan on September 12, 2012, 10:49:19 AM
Quote from: Davin on September 11, 2012, 08:08:29 PM
I FINK U FREEKY by DIE ANTWOORD

I have been looking for this!! I saw it at a party and had no idea who it was. You don't even want to know what I was googling to try and find it.
Having seen the video, you were probably getting some really creepy results.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

not your typical...

I'm blasting three The World/Inferno Friendship Society albums, three The Wonder Years albums, and three Enter Shikari albums to bring me to my favorite number, 9. :D Good mood music.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Stevil

Quote from: Crow on September 11, 2012, 08:37:26 PM
Quote from: Stevil on September 11, 2012, 08:30:56 PM
A good check is to compare a remastered version of a song. It is very obvious when you listen for it.

I had a little comparison over the weekend and it is very obvious in metal, not so much in other genres but you are right the drums sound muddier.
By removing the dynamic range (volume) they remove the punch of the drums (prior to the loudness wars drums where much louder than everything else).
Then in the early 90's they developed software to compress the volume range, so everything is at top volume. They do this so that the song can be overall louder. It is used for TV ads as well, which is why TV adds are 3 or more times louder than normal tv.
For music it's impact is weakened drums. (It also lessens the ability of the musician to put feeling into the music, liken it to having a piano without weighted keys, so all notes sound at exactly the same volume).
I found in the early days of compression that some artists compensated by making more impacting drum sounds, but these sound just terrible and have ruined what would have otherwise been terrific albums.
Now days they don't overcompensate, but the drumming still sounds bland. If you listen to a pre 90's album you might think it has terrific sound.
I've just been listening to some 70's Rainbow and it sounds great and refreshing from a drum sound perspective.

If I was an audiophile (I'm not), with expensive sound system, I wouldn't listen to post 90's music at all.
If I listen predominantly to post 90's music I wouldn't spend money on expensive sound system because it is not going to fix the issue.

I refuse to buy music that is less than 7 Dynamic Range. Death Magnetic is 3 DR. Final Frontier is 8 DR. Music from pre 90's like Number of the Beast is 12 to 14 DR.

Guardian85

Judas Priest- Living after midnight

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

NoHandlebarsAttached

Lamb of God-Walk with Me in Hell

MaryJayne

There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.

Terry Pratchett

Ihateyoumike

Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

levi_athan

The Luyas - Tiny Head. Saw this band passing through St. Louis last year on their way to Austin from Montreal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lIqAQvIpo0
beep boop boop beep beep

levi_athan

beep boop boop beep beep

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Stevil

Within Temptation is quickly moving into my top 5 of all time bands.
Angels
Somewhere
Sinead

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

levi_athan

beep boop boop beep beep