News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Vera

Started by Icarus, November 01, 2021, 11:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Just in case this thread failed to mention this dear lady.  She died at the age of 103. Revered by Brits and Yanks as well.
Bing Video Search: Vera Lynn

I'm on a nostalgia kick so I am a bit emotional about a time and some people who once were.  I listened to this music when I was a lad of 14.

[Repaired link. - R]

Icarus

Hmmph!  It seems that I have been a dumb ass again.  The link was intended to be a vid of Vera Lynn, one of the people that I admired long ago... and still. 

One of these days I might learn to use the damned computer correctly. Until then, Vera and I will meet again.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

I don't find that tune much fun, I often thought Waters was a whiny bastard, ye ya dad died in the war, give it song or two but move on for Trump sake, but he went on and on. 

I saw old Roger in one of those fields of white crosses in France, making a TV doco.  His father had died in WWII before he really knew him, and his fathers father had died in WWI before he really knew him. 
A proud tradition that, going back and back.
Ye but we've moved on from that. 

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Bad Penny II on November 02, 2021, 12:20:05 PM

I don't find that tune much fun, I often thought Waters was a whiny bastard, ye ya dad died in the war, give it song or two but move on for Trump sake, but he went on and on. 

I saw old Roger in one of those fields of white crosses in France, making a TV doco.  His father had died in WWII before he really knew him, and his fathers father had died in WWI before he really knew him. 
A proud tradition that, going back and back.
Ye but we've moved on from that.

I was going to post the same video, butt you beat me to it...one of my favorite songs from the album (I'm a huge fan of the Floyd,....sorry)

I was quite young when I first heard this song by Pink Floyd, about 14, and I was actually familiar with the music of Vera Lynn, though my friends had no idea who they were referring to in the song.
My Father was also a WWII vet (He was in his's when he had me) . Every Sunday morning when we were growing up he would tune into a local radio station here in Detroit that would play music mostly from the late 30's and 40's.

He loved Vera Lynn...she's the only artist I can ever remember him singing along with.

My father wasn't a fan of rock and roll, or popular music. Most times when he was driving in his car if he didn't have a baseball game on he would listen to elevator music.

I played him the song "Vera" by Pink Floyd after I purchased the album as I thought he would be surprised a rock group was singing a song about one of his favorite singers, and he really enjoyed it. I played it for him, and then he had me replay it again. Surprisingly he liked a couple other songs from the album as well...though he didn't really understand or understand the use of sound affects Pink Floyd used so much on the album. (He liked a couple song off of Dark Side of the Moon as well)

This is for you Dad.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Recusant

Indeed, an icon of the 20th century. Though completely tied to a particular era, also timeless as much of the music of that era is, in my opinion.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken