News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

If I were a book...

Started by MarcusA, May 05, 2023, 01:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No one

A whale of a tale.
A not so holy grail.
The pale veil,
that masks the frail,
stale, king of fail.

Recusant

Quote from: No one on May 11, 2023, 06:17:54 PMWhere is the rampaging? The pillaging? The tumultuous destruction? The wrath? The fury? The preface does not include any comparable barbarian parallels.

That would be a different book-- a caricature of the lowest common denominator of barbarian. :cartoonviking:

Neither is one entirely defined by any one noun.  In any case I would consider rejection of the ethos of the civilization with which one is confronted as the most essential quality of the barbarian. Rampaging and pillaging and such, merely window dressing. 
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

MarcusA

Quote from: Recusant on May 11, 2023, 03:26:55 PMA chrestomathy of practical items, random "interesting" bits of science, occasional fragments of fiction, and some pictures. Illustrations are sadly almost entirely missing from contemporary books.

If I were a book, I'd be a picture book and make the kids laugh.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

billy rubin

Quote from: MarcusA on May 11, 2023, 11:33:05 PM
Quote from: Recusant on May 11, 2023, 03:26:55 PMA chrestomathy of practical items, random "interesting" bits of science, occasional fragments of fiction, and some pictures. Illustrations are sadly almost entirely missing from contemporary books.

If I were a book, I'd be a picture book and make the kids laugh.

marcus, you have valuable redeeming qualities.

your posting is hard for me to keep up with, but always worth reading/

set the function, not the mechanism.

Icarus

There is a book that I have read parts of, hundreds,even thousands of times, The book is called; Smoley's Tables of Slopes and Rises. Only really old folks who have been in the engineering business will have ever heard of it.

Before hand held calculators, it was a time consuming process to do simple trig problems. Like when a structural element was designed into a diagonal or rotated position. It was important to know the dimensions of such an element. That problem occurred frequently in civil and mechanical engineering and many  other applications.

Smoley's was and still is, a book that lists the dimensions of tens of thousands of combinations of rise and run slopes and rises. My $12 dollar hand held calculator can do those problems much faster than thumbing through the book, like the old timers, me included,  had to do.

I am not sure that any of my HAF peers are old enough to have ever had to do calculations the hard way, or have chosen to refer to the slope and rise bible from Mr.Smoley.

What the hell? Design programs on my computer, like Solidworksor Autocad can do the math with blazing speed and accuracy. I was born 60 yeqrs to soon.

MarcusA

If I were a book, I'd engineer an idea.

MarcusA

If I were a book, I'd be a mystery.

Tank

No you'd be an irritating comic book :rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

MarcusA

Quote from: Tank on May 23, 2023, 09:22:14 AMNo you'd be an irritating comic book :rofl:

If I were a book, I'd reply.

MarcusA

If I were a book, I'd be a book of nonsense.

billy rubin

if i wrre a book, wyeth would illustrate me.

set the function, not the mechanism.

MarcusA

If I were a book, write me up in black and white.

MarcusA

If I were a book, I'd be despairing.

The Magic Pudding.

QuoteI wish I could find a good book to live in
Wish I could find a good book
Well if I could find a real good book
I'd never have to come out and look at
What they've done to my song

No one

A book of the damned, for the damned, by the damned.
Despicable, detestable, loathsome, execrable.
Hated, berated.
Refused, rejected, simply not tolerated
Out, damned book; out, say they!