News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Sad news Dark Lightning, sorry for your family's loss. It's tough to live long and confront the results. Not to say that dying young is preferable.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

Ecurb Noselrub

We are on page 1066 of this thread. 1066 was when the Battle of Hastings took place. William the Conqueror and the Normans invaded England. The mixture of Norman French and Anglo Saxon gave us the English we now speak.

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

jumbojak

I got my blue belt in jiujitsu on Saturday. Still not sure if I actually deserve it, but it's there now.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

cool

what is the sequence of belts in your art?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

No one

Can smart homes have dumb waiters?

Dark Lightning

Quote from: No one on January 24, 2022, 05:48:44 PM
Can smart homes have dumb waiters?

Yes, but they must have TTD capability.

jumbojak

Quote from: billy rubin on January 24, 2022, 02:30:29 PM
cool

what is the sequence of belts in your art?

White, blue, purple, brown, and typically black. There are coral and red belts but those are out of reach for me. I'll be long dead before I can qualify. Hopefully another eight to ten years to reach black for me.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

JJ, I have an IJF second degree black belt that took a long time to achieve. At my age, I am not at all sure that I could fight my way out of a wet paper bag. Maybe a dry paper bag.  In your case, Hang in there and work on your Kata.  Judo is not about fighting.  It is a way to achieve calm and peace.

One of my endeared and highest ranking judoka, was asked why he pusued excellence in the martial arts.  He replied:  "I can run away from a fight with great confidence". 

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on January 24, 2022, 02:05:27 PM
I got my blue belt in jiujitsu on Saturday. Still not sure if I actually deserve it, but it's there now.

Well done :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken