News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Today is..........

Started by Icarus, December 07, 2021, 09:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

The 80th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941. That was the beginning of US military involvement in WW2. Franklin D, Roosevelt pronounced it; "a day of infamy".  Admiral Yamamoto of the Japanese navy is said to have said: "I fear that we have awakened a sleeping giant."

Yesterday, December 6 was the anniversary of the breakup of the USSR in 1991. The Baltic states and others were relieved from Russian rule...on paper. Actual liberation from the Communist influence took several years.     

billy rubin

my aunt alma had celebrated her 38th birthday the day before.

spina bifida. last walked in 1915. lived to be 94 years old. gave my newborn mother her first bath in 1925, held me in hrr lap as a newborn in 1956, and held my own son as yet another newborn in 1997.

hell of a woman.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Recusant

A hinge point of history. Thanks for noting it, Icarus.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken