News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: billy rubin on October 27, 2021, 10:02:29 AM
did it now?

i grew up with a set of these hanging on the wall, tye round ones

never knew that abou5 debussy

When he was a young man Debussy attended an Exposition in Paris (where the new Eiffel Tower was also located), where he heard a gamelan group from Indonesia. It seems that he was totally overwhelmed and spent many ours listening to them. They had a great influence on his music.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

No one

No one

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Quote from: billy rubin on October 22, 2021, 08:15:25 PM
music is fascinating. look at these poles. probably not one in ten of em can speak a word of english.

but theyre playing something that to me sounds as american as a chicago baseball game.

this weird way music can transcend cultures is what makes it so interesting

and then look at the little girl playing th epiano. fifteen years old.

with no sheet music.

I will wager that several more than one of the Poles can speak passable English. Right next door, The Lithuanians are often competent English speakers.

No one

billy rubin

life passes so quickly.

jack london said it all:

"I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time."

possibly the most important thing he ever wrote

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

i first encountered rod stewart at the oval cricket ground in london. 1971, towards the end of twelve-hour hit of blotter acid.

this lyric poet and that single summer day in england shaped me in ways its short duration has forever after left me bemused.

anyway, seventeen years later he came up with ^^^this

thought provoking, but in its interpretation i have never thought of the young ones we scatter after our time, which apparently was stewart's intent. but rather of the others who were young alongside us, young forever in the hindsight that remains. this is not a nostalgia for something that is past that we would recover, but a recognition that all of us stride forward into our future with an inevitable requirement that we leave our past and our past companions behind, frozen forever in the stasis of our memory.  knowing that those we once knew still grow and mature absent our relationship, as we do absent theirs, but that we can only imagine the tree that grows, flowers, and bears fruit, even when we cannot stand alongside.

thank you for your attention

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: billy rubin on October 30, 2021, 10:23:11 PM

life passes so quickly.

jack london said it all:

"I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time."

possibly the most important thing he ever wrote

That is a great quote by Jack London, definitely one of my favorites of his as well...reminds me of some lyrics by Neil Young and Jeff Blackburn, from the song "Hey, Hey, My, My"
Hey hey, my my
Rock and roll can never die
There's more to the picture
Than meets the eye.
Hey hey, my my.
Out of the blue and into the black
You pay for this, but they give you that
And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black.
The king is gone but he's not forgotten
Is this the tale of Johnny rotten?
It's better to burn out than fade away
The king is gone but he's not forgotten.
Hey hey, my my
Rock and roll can never die
There's more to the picture
Than meets the eye.
Hey hey, my my.

I think Kurgan said it best though:

Now on to Mr Robin Trower...god I haven't heard that song in ages, and listening to it certainly brought back some memories.  I just listened to it three times in a row, and since no-one else is currently at home I really cranked up the fucking volume!!

I feel like I've been transported back in time.

I saw him in concert here in Detroit around 1980, I was about 16 years old. The concert was at the Masonic Temple in Detroit, which was and may still be the largest Masonic Temple in the world...seats about 4500 people. We had fairly decent seats, and I can actually still remember him playing this song which was the favorite of my friends and I.

We used to think we were so fucking cool when we learned how to play that opening riff.

Thanks for posting this, I'm just going to bury myself tonight in some more of Mr Tower's music, and simply fade away....

p.s. While listening to this song now a fourth time (1974 UK) I discovered that Robin is actually still touring, and is actually coming to Detroit in April 2022. He'll be playing at the Royal Oak Music Theatre which is an awesome venue...so I just texted the info to an old friend to see if he wants to see the show.
Fucking-A
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

billy rubin

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on October 31, 2021, 12:56:07 AM

Now on to Mr Robin Trower...god I haven't heard that song in ages, and listening to it certainly brought back some memories.  I just listened to it three times in a row, and since no-one else is currently at home I really cranked up the fucking volume!!

yes

i understand completely.

and i also agree, it is better to burn out than to fade away

so long as one chooses a flame that illuminates something of value.

Anne D.

Quote from: No one on October 28, 2021, 02:40:35 PM

^I like this. It's been in my head since I first listened yesterday.

Anne D.

Everybody loves Megan Thee Stallion. She's Thee Stallion.

Anne D.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: billy rubin on October 31, 2021, 01:09:41 AM
Quote from: Papasito Bruno on October 31, 2021, 12:56:07 AM

yes

i understand completely.

and i also agree, it is better to burn out than to fade away

so long as one chooses a flame that illuminates something of value.

So it's settle, and my friend and I are going to see Robin Trower!! (My friends nickname is Cheech. We took Spanish class together in High School, and his Spanish name in class was Francisco, so we called him Chico. Another teacher overheard us calling him Chico, and started to call him Cheech instead, and the name stuck)

I texted Cheech yesterday, sent him a link to the YouTube video Billy posted...then it was a flurry of replies back and forth between us, reminiscing about the concert in 1980 we saw together, and what a great show it was!

Then we discussed possibly seeing him in April, and ended up buying tickets!!

Section B Left, row C...so pretty close...Robin usually plays to the left of drummer so should be in front of us.

All this because Billy posted a video...thank you!!

P.S.
My name in our Spanish class was Pablo :P The teacher wanted everyone to have a Spanish name in class. Usually it was just the Spanish version of our English name. My friends' name is Frank so he was called Francisco. As there is no Spanish version of my name the teacher made me use my middle name of Paul instead, so I became Pablo. I didn't like Pablo, and to make it worse everyone in class including the teacher called me Pablo Cruise after the Pop Band...ugh. I asked the teacher if I could change my name, but she wouldn't let me)

Biggus Dickus

Some rather cool, interesting and rather enjoyable covers....I like these alot 8)

The first one is Nouvelle Vague's take on "I Melt With You", by Modern English...

The second is by Parra For Cuva along with Anna Naklab, and their take on Chris Isaak's, "Wicked Games