News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Colin Powell

Started by Icarus, October 20, 2021, 02:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

We lost a real gentleman soldier when General Powell left these mortal coils.  He was much more than just a soldier.

Tank

Yes he was a good and great man.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

He most certainly was a very accomplished, and remarkable person. I have only the highest and deepest respect for him, he was as we used to say in the service, a soldier's soldier.

I actually had the honor to meet him once while I was in the Army.

Boring Bruno story is here:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tom62

I didn't like that he lied to the whole world about    WMDs in Iraq, which resulted in an illegal war and destabilised the whole region.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Recusant

Quote from: Tom62 on October 20, 2021, 07:45:03 PM
I didn't like that he lied to the whole world about    WMDs in Iraq, which resulted in an illegal war and destabilised the whole region.

Indeed, and even though I agree with those who believe that he deserves considerable respect, his place in history is definitely not untarnished.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

jumbojak

Quote from: Recusant on October 20, 2021, 08:48:44 PM
Quote from: Tom62 on October 20, 2021, 07:45:03 PM

Indeed, and even though I agree with those who believe that he deserves considerable respect, his place in history is definitely not untarnished.

Nobody's place in history is untarnished. That's one of the side effects of living in the public eye. In his case he should have been much more cautious regarding wmd in Iraq and not spent his political capital on something that turned out to be untrue but, overall, I always liked Powell.

I remember watching a documentary about Vietnam where he was interviewed about the use of body armor during the conflict. He managed to get approval for a trial of very primitive steel plate armor with his company and even convinced his men to try it.

They hated carrying that armor through the jungle but were happy to have it when they were taking fire. He was an interesting and forward thinking man.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

body armour in nam weighed abiut 8 pounds.

the total field kit for an american soldier these days is abiut 100 pounds. dont know offhand what the modern kevlar armour weighs

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.