News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Favorite Quotes

Started by Biggus Dickus, March 08, 2016, 10:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

conservatives are just fine.  its american replubicans that have become.liars, kooks, and nazis.

the republican party has gone nuts. they have very little to do with conservatism anymore. its just a trump personality cult.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56963053.amp&ved=2ahUKEwjN3duUnqvwAhVEG80KHcjBAcEQFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw3YeXE3UG8yRzvV41kDF1pA&ampcf=1

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on May 02, 2021, 03:35:11 PM
conservatives are just fine.  its american replubicans that have become.liars, kooks, and nazis.

the republican party has gone nuts. they have very little to do with conservatism anymore. its just a trump personality cult.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56963053.amp&ved=2ahUKEwjN3duUnqvwAhVEG80KHcjBAcEQFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw3YeXE3UG8yRzvV41kDF1pA&ampcf=1

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

Quote from: Tom62 on May 02, 2021, 11:28:45 AM
Conservatives consider liberals well-intentioned, but misguided. Liberals consider conservatives not only wrong, but really, really bad people.
--Larry Elder

I didn't know who Larry Elder is (or didn't, until I saw this quote) but I would have laid down serious money and probably given odds that he considers himself a conservative. His thesis is fatuous bad-faith "I'm the real victim here!" bullshit, and I would have won that bet.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tom62

Quote from: Recusant on May 03, 2021, 09:13:43 AM
Conservatives consider liberals well-intentioned, but misguided. Liberals consider conservatives not only wrong, but really, really bad people.
--Larry Elder

I didn't know who Larry Elder is (or didn't, until I saw this quote) but I would have laid down serious money and probably given odds that he considers himself a conservative. His thesis is fatuous bad-faith "I'm the real victim here!" bullshit, and I would have won that bet.

He is indeed a conservative. A quite decent civilized guy though. And yes, they [the left] has called him very bad names,  like a traitor of his race, an Uncle Tom, an enabler of White Supremacy and other vile BS. BTW his documentary "Uncle Tom" is very worthwhile to watch (8.7 on IMDB and 96% on Rotten Tomatoes).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Bad Penny II

--Larry Elder

Some conservatives consider liberals well intentioned but misguided. 
Some, many, conservatives seem to be very good and practiced haters.

"Liberals consider conservatives not only wrong, but really, really bad people."

As a liberal who admires Greta Tintin Thunberg, I abhor the creeps that put her down.
As a conservative who'd prefer less refugee/general immigration I'd be deplored by liberals.
They'd take the high moral ground but I'd ask, "what about the wombats?"
They'd talk of a fairy land where more people and wombats can coexist.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Icarus

I also admire Greta, BP.

hermes2015

Art has to move you and design does not, unless it's a good design for a bus.

- David Hockney
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 05, 2021, 04:22:28 AM
Art has to move you and design does not, unless it's a good design for a bus.

- David Hockney

:rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

"much study is a weariness of the flesh. Ecclesiastes 12:12......."let us now praise famous men" Ecclesiastes 44:1...............

OK I will start with Carl Sagan and go from there.  I kinda' like Neil DeGrasse Tyson too.  Mitch McConnel not so much.

Dark Lightning

Well. There is famous for the wrong reasons. I worked for a major aerospace company where one of the techs was giving a lecture on use of some equipment. At one point, he mentioned that doing something that trashed hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of hardware will "make you famous".  :D

Icarus

^ Trashing hundreds of thousands of equipment would make you famous but also dispensable

Tank

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

~Sharon Begley
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

"When the gods wish to punish us they answer our prayers. "
---Oscar Wilde.

:picard facepalm:
Fuck!
Is that how that works!?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

From the book, "Paradise", by Toni Morrison

QuoteBut can't you even imagine what it must feel like to have a true home? I don't mean heaven. I mean a real earthly home. Not some fortress you bought and built up and have to keep everybody locked in or out.... Not some place you went to and invaded and slaughtered people to get. Not some place you claimed, snatched because you got the guns. Not some place you stole from the people living there, but your own home, where if you go back past your great-great-grandparents, past theirs, and theirs, past the whole of Western history ... back when God said Good! Good!—there, right there where you know your own people were born and lived and died.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

billy rubin

Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a windswept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
A fatal attraction is holding me fast
How can I escape this irresistible grasp?

floyd

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."