News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Ozark

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, April 03, 2020, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

With more time on my hands since being under a stay-at-home order, I got sucked into watching the Netflix original series Ozark.  It's about a Chicago family who relocates to the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri, where dad and mom launder money for a Mexican drug cartel.  It's a bit Breaking Bad in a hillbilly setting, but they've already gone very, very bad by the time the series starts.  It has more bad people in it than any show I've ever seen.  In fact, the only good person I've seen so far got murdered almost immediately.  The women are absolutely evil, and outdo the men on every score.  I've gone through two seasons and will start on the third and current season tonight. If you are in for anything like that, I highly recommend it.  Good acting, great scenery, and the directing sets a perfect mood.  If anything like this actually exists, people are more despicable than I thought.   

xSilverPhinx

Sounds interesting. :tellmemore:

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on April 03, 2020, 09:10:59 PM
If anything like this actually exists, people are more despicable than I thought.

I'm hoping it's an exaggeration but as each day passes I buy more and more into the idea that some people are worthless vermin.  :(
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

Mighty optimistic of you to state that is only some.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on April 04, 2020, 12:56:11 AM
Mighty optimistic of you to state that is only some.

Yeah :shrug:

No one

By my latest calculations, it's roughly five fourths of the population.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on April 04, 2020, 01:05:09 AM
By my latest calculations, it's roughly five fourths of the population.

Possibly.

:notsure:

Wait...

Tank

I have heard people say it's a good series. But the premise didn't appeal to me. However I think I'll give it a go and see what happens. :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

While sheltering in place............We began watching Ozark.  I just finished the first series.  A lot of violence and intrigue and resourceful hillbillies.  I will probably start season two tomorrow.

I can entertain myself in my garage workshop and spend a lot of time out there.  There are a lot of woodworking machines that threaten to cut off my fingers so I am pretty vigilant about the danger.   Right now the project is a one meter long radio controlled model boat.  It will have an electric motor and the boat can be converted to a sailboat as an option.  Been working on the little boat for a month or so.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on April 04, 2020, 04:19:40 AM
I have heard people say it's a good series. But the premise didn't appeal to me. However I think I'll give it a go and see what happens. :)

The acting and mood are good.  But I can see that not everyone would like it.  It's a study in bad decisions, like Breaking Bad, just more bad sooner. The hillbillies may be hard for you to relate to.

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 05, 2020, 04:47:44 AM

This is not just Ozark slang, it's Southern slang.  I understood 90% of it.  There were a couple I'd never heard, dad gummit.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 05, 2020, 04:47:44 AM

This ferner over here didn't know anything of those terms.  ;D