News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

HAF Virtual Meetup

Started by Whitney, February 18, 2012, 06:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

The technology exists...so why not?

I think Skype would be the best method since it allows for unlimited people (as far as I know, so far haven't broken it) and has the option for video (though we won't require video).  Feel free to suggest other free alternatives (remembering that we have people from all over the world).

To keep it simple...let me know what days/times you will be available using central standard time.

Tank

Can you name a major city in the time zone please as time difference calculators tend to work from city to city.

EDIT: Chicago works.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

The USA CST is 6 hours behind the UK. So if the meet happens mid to late evening in the US that will be midnight to the early hours in UK/Europe. But if it's mid day 'ish on a Saturday or Sunday it'll be early evening on this side of the pond.

Date wise I can fit in any time.

Ali

Weekends are best for me, although I do sometimes work from home too. 

Amicale

My work is unfortunately erratic, but flexible -- and with a kid who doesn't sleep very regularly, my time's all over the place. So I'd be happy to join you guys whenever a time is picked, if I can!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Whitney

Quote from: Tank on February 18, 2012, 08:30:48 AM
But if it's mid day 'ish on a Saturday or Sunday it'll be early evening on this side of the pond.

That sounds like it might be a good way to do it.

Tank

Quote from: Whitney on February 18, 2012, 09:40:19 PM
But if it's mid day 'ish on a Saturday or Sunday it'll be early evening on this side of the pond.

May I suggest that anybody interested, and that would include me, send their Skype address to a mod or admin. We'll keep a list in staff forum and when the date and time are fixed we will pm all the people who provide their Skype address with all the other Skype addresses.

Guardian85

I'm in. Shoot me the time and I'll see where I am. Being in security I have some weird working hours from time to time.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Whitney

Quote from: Tank on February 18, 2012, 09:44:09 PM
Quote from: Whitney on February 18, 2012, 09:40:19 PM

May I suggest that anybody interested, and that would include me, send their Skype address to a mod or admin. We'll keep a list in staff forum and when the date and time are fixed we will pm all the people who provide their Skype address with all the other Skype addresses.

ok :)

Dobermonster

Hmm...sounds interesting....dare I risk being thoroughly disappointing?  :P

Amicale

Quote from: Dobermonster on February 19, 2012, 03:01:49 AM
Hmm...sounds interesting....dare I risk being thoroughly disappointing?  :P

Risk it! Risk it! I've already got  the thoroughly disappointing covered, and I'm moving into the territory of abysmally boring everyone to tears and booze.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

philosoraptor

I'm unemployed ATM, so my schedule is pretty open for whenever.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Tank

Quote from: Dobermonster on February 19, 2012, 03:01:49 AM
Hmm...sounds interesting....dare I risk being thoroughly disappointing?  :P
Don't worry you couldn't possibly be as much of a disappointment as me.  :D

But seriously I have been to many atheist meetings with people I have met on-line and some people just don't match up with your expectations. Some people can be very erudite and sparkly on-line but in real life quite dull ( and visa versa). Mainly because they are good with the written word where they have time to gather their thoughts but aren't as spontaneous in a real-time context. It's almost like you're meeting a different person.

The other big issue can be perceiving somebody as flirty on-line who really isn't in real life. They're happy to flirt in the relative safety and anonymity of cyber space, where body language is invisible, but in real life they just aren't that way inclined. This dichotomy can lead to serious repercussions where there is a serious miss-match of expectations.  

I used to consider myself a good judge of character. It turns out I am, in real life, but on-line I have made some real fuck-ups, trusting untrustworthy people and being far too open emotionally to needy people. In the past I used to think I had a lot of good friends on-line when in fact it was only a handful. And some of those 'friends' have turned out to be the most despicable people I have ever come across. But we live and learn.

Never invest more emotion in an on-line relationship than you are prepared to have thrown back in your face with derisive laughter added for good measure.

Tank

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 18, 2012, 09:46:33 PM
I'm in. Shoot me the time and I'll see where I am. Being in security I have some weird working hours from time to time.
Would you PM me with your Skype address please.
The same goes for everybody interested in joining in.
Please note your Skype address will be circulated to all those taking part in the virtual meeting.