News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Who are you voting for? (for Americans)

Started by Ransom, November 24, 2011, 12:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ransom

Me, I'm voting for good ol' Ron Paul. He's gonna' bring us change from the change, and Lor' knows we need some o' that. If you don't know much about Ron Paul, I suggest this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I4EsfnUGrI
The law of the jungle says
You look after yourself
But I remember this much
I love as I've been loved myself.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ransom on November 24, 2011, 12:59:42 AM
Me, I'm voting for good ol' Ron Paul. He's gonna' bring us change from the change, and Lor' knows we need some o' that. If you don't know much about Ron Paul, I suggest this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I4EsfnUGrI

Unless he's changed his mind on letting the uninsured just die, that'd be a no for Paul.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ransom

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 24, 2011, 01:38:00 AM
Quote from: Ransom on November 24, 2011, 12:59:42 AM

Unless he's changed his mind on letting the uninsured just die, that'd be a no for Paul.

Not quite sure what yer talkin' about... explain?
The law of the jungle says
You look after yourself
But I remember this much
I love as I've been loved myself.

Asmodean

You have like elections again over on that side of the Ocean..? Doesn't seem that long since Bushy finally left the office. (Although a couple of years earlier and a bootprint on his ass for a few weeks would have been better for everyone, methink)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Asmodean on November 24, 2011, 04:33:39 PM
You have like elections again over on that side of the Ocean..? Doesn't seem that long since Bushy finally left the office. (Although a couple of years earlier and a bootprint on his ass for a few weeks would have been better for everyone, methink)

The elections are in Nov '12, the campaigning started 2 years ago.  (I exaggerate -- slightly) 

Quote from: RansomNot quite sure what yer talkin' about... explain?

I'm referring to that Repub debate where Wolf Blitzer asked Paul about the fate of a hypothetical young man who didn't buy health insurance, and lost his gamble that he wouldn't become seriously ill.  Paul's answer was that the guy made his choice -- in blunter language, let him die.  To be fair to Paul, the rest of the Repub candidates seemed to agree with that and the Tea Party audience actually cheered.  Of course, they also cheered when Perry's execution record was announced.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Thumpalumpacus

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Tank

Quote from: Thumpalumpacus on November 25, 2011, 10:24:10 PM
Ron Paul has no chance.  Period.
I do love it when people use the word 'Period' to finish a point as though it somehow added authority to their prior statement. I always get a picture of somebody holding their hand up and saying 'Talk to the hand!'  ;D

Having said that I sincerely hope that Obama makes it back in as all the Republican alternatives are very little short of terrifying!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

I usually use the word "period" to signify that a, the point is fully made and/or b, I'm not open to debate it.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on November 26, 2011, 09:07:20 AM
Quote from: Thumpalumpacus on November 25, 2011, 10:24:10 PM
Ron Paul has no chance.  Period.
I do love it when people use the word 'Period' to finish a point as though it somehow added authority to their prior statement. I always get a picture of somebody holding their hand up and saying 'Talk to the hand!'  ;D

Ye I feel the wrong in the period thing, discussion over, end of discussion, but this isn't people it's Thumpalumpacus.
He abandoned Bert and he abandoned us, he's been on a journey denying comfort, or maybe he had login difficulties.

LLAP Thumpa

xm1

http://mcmillan2012.com

With the cain girl train over im hoping this guy gains some sort of traction.

not your typical...

Pretty sure my household is voting Obama.
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Davin

Quote from: not your typical... on December 06, 2011, 04:45:22 AMPretty sure my household is voting Obama.
With the fail train that is fighting over who gets to go up against Obama? I don't blame ya. Unless a new candidate appears, Obama is looking like the best option again.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Whitney

Even if I hated Obama he'd still be a better choice than all the current Republican candidates combined.  Even Ron Paul is a horrible option; sure he has some liberal views but ultimately he's just a hypocritical nutjob who makes the libertarian position look even worse than it is.

He's for personal freedom and small gov but anti church state separation (hypocritical):  http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul148.html and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Ron_Paul#Religion

He seems to be homophobic:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Ron_Paul#Sexual_orientation_legislation  In a 2007 interview with John Stossel, Paul stated that he supported the right of gay couples to marry, so long as they didn't "impose" their relationship on anyone else, on the grounds of supporting voluntary associations.

He wants to allow states to decide what women can do with their own bodies http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Ron_Paul#Abortion-related_legislation

I can't find evidence of it off hand but I know in one of the debates he strongly implied if not directly said that illegal aliens who are in the US and in need of medical care should be denied help and just shipped back over the border.  But I'm pretty sure almost all of the other republican candidates would be on board with that anyway.

Not to mention that the libertarian view of privatizing education would create generations of ignorant people who grew up in areas that were too poor to fund their own schools...it's already bad enough in really poor areas with government funding.  I think people with libertarian views on education tend to be at least somewhat well off and out of touch with the grossly underprivaledged population.

Davin

Quote from: Whitney on December 06, 2011, 03:03:49 PMNot to mention that the libertarian view of privatizing education would create generations of ignorant people who grew up in areas that were too poor to fund their own schools...it's already bad enough in really poor areas with government funding.  I think people with libertarian views on education tend to be at least somewhat well off and out of touch with the grossly underprivaledged population.
I'm tired of talking things over with libertarians. It usually starts out with the libertarian being condescending and analogizing everything they don't agree with as rape and/or slavery. Then when you start discussing their views, they end up agreeing that the things they seemed very much against, they actually think are needed, but never recant calling me a blind sheep/idiot who has no understanding of how things really work. One guy is receiving gov. educational grants, at the same time as arguing against them...

I'm a libertarian by definition because I advocate and fight for individual freedoms, but because of all the arrogant, condescending people who call themselves libertarians (they really just look like people that don't want to support the society that supports the things they like and that helped them get to where they are), I don't pin that label onto myself.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Recusant

Quote from: Davin on December 06, 2011, 04:21:43 PMI'm a libertarian by definition because I advocate and fight for individual freedoms, but because of all the arrogant, condescending people who call themselves libertarians (they really just look like people that don't want to support the society that supports the things they like and that helped them get to where they are), I don't pin that label onto myself.

This reminded me of an amusing comic about the varieties of libertarians. I have libertarian/anarchist tendencies myself, but do not consider humanity ready to achieve the sort of society that is envisioned by people such as Bakunin. I agree that the smug and seemingly rather thoughtless glorification of greed and selfishness espoused by many who call themselves libertarians has besmirched the name.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken