News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Occupy Wall Street

Started by DaemonWulf, October 02, 2011, 04:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaemonWulf

Hey guys... haven't been here for a minute 'cause I got laid off and have been busy with other things. One of those things is that I've been following Occupy Wall Street really closely. I'd go myself if I could, but my MIL is having some serious health issues so we have to be nearby for her. What I did was start a blog, kinda figure if I can give someone the info that inspires them to haul ass down there (or to one of the solidarity occupations) I won't feel so bad about not being there myself. The blog is www.onlineresistance.blogspot.com , its a bit of an introduction to what's going on. If anyone can throw that around to people they know, it'd be really greatly appreciated. If the mods here feel this counts as spam and need to remove it, I understand and I'm sorry.
So I wonder this, as life billows smoke inside my head; this little game where nothing is sure... why would you play by the rules? - Dave Matthews

Tank

Not spam. You're a positive contributing member and there's nothing wrong with extending your information to your blog. Unlike some members who use their blogs to avoid the rules here.

Hundreds of Occupy Wall Street protesters arrested

QuoteMore than 700 people from the Occupy Wall Street protest movement have been arrested on New York's City's Brooklyn Bridge, police say.

They were part of a larger group crossing the bridge from Manhattan, where they have been camped out near Wall Street for two weeks.

Some entered the bridge's roadway and were met by a large police presence and detained, most for disorderly conduct...
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Yup! Thisis all happening about 40mins from my house by metro.

Sorry to hear about your job situation, wolf. :(
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Will

I went to the local Occupy Wall Street protest. I support them, though it's the most poorly organized protests I've ever seen.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

KingPhilip

Quote from: Will on October 04, 2011, 02:52:06 AM
I went to the local Occupy Wall Street protest. I support them, though it's the most poorly organized protests I've ever seen.

I've noticed a few people saying that. Kind of sad, there's quite a bit of support behind this, so I think with some decent leadership it could really go somewhere.

Assuming they don't all get arrested again of course.
It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society. ~ Krishnamurti

fyv0h

I WISH I was still stationed in NY so I could go to the protests there. There are protests beginning in Raleigh now, so I'll be heading that way when I can.
Jesus freaks out in the street. Handing tickets out for God.
Turning back, she just laughs. The boulevard is not that bad.  ~Elton John

لا إله

WWSDJD - What Would Sammy Davis Jr Do?

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

karadan

Aren't there also protests in Seattle, Boston and Chicago now as well?

I'm not surprised at how little the western media have been covering this. The bastards are showing exactly how 'in the pockets' of the financial institutions they are by doing so.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Will

Quote from: Sweetdeath on October 04, 2011, 05:43:45 AM
You're in NYC, Will? :o
Silicon Valley, actually. There are protests active in San Francisco, San Jose, and protests in the works for Berkeley and Santa Cruz.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Ecurb Noselrub

It's gone global, and got quite violent in Rome when some anarchists crashed the party.  It's obviously struck a chord in many hearts.  Gotta admit, even though I'm totally in the free enterprise camp, when there is corruption the playing field is not even, and the outcome is not going to be fair. There is no one who has so much more intelligence, talent, and industry that they deserve what some of the "1%" end up with.  Some adjustment needs to be made to even that out a little.  I have no problem with someone getting filthy rich because of hard work and resourcefulness - but a hedge fund manager making $5 billion in a year, mainly off of a strategy that took advantage of the sagging economy - just ain't fair.  At the very least, profits like that should be taxed at a higher rate, since they depend 100% on a person being lucky enough to be in a country like the USA.

bandit4god

Fully acknowledge there are a cacophony of perspectives among those protesting, but is your understanding that they are protesting the excessiveness of their compensation itself or the vices demonstrated by them during the financial meltdown that still continue today?  I'll list a few such transgressions below as examples:
- Creating complex financial instruments (CDOs, CDSs) that masked the risk of weak underlying assets
- Bribing/cajoling ratings agencies to give these financial instruments AAA ratings
- Trading as principals in a proprietary, unlisted $600 trillion (not a typo) derivatives market that leveraged banks at 50 to 1 or higher, putting depositor's money at risk (e.g., if big banks collapsed, FDIC could never reimburse the whole banking system)
- Using an interlocking system of overnight loans or "repos" to make balance sheets look healthy to shareholders and counterparties when many banks were technically insolvent

MinnesotaMike

Quote from: Tank on October 02, 2011, 11:32:51 AM
Not spam. You're a positive contributing member and there's nothing wrong with extending your information to your blog. Unlike some members who use their blogs to avoid the rules here.

Hundreds of Occupy Wall Street protesters arrested

QuoteMore than 700 people from the Occupy Wall Street protest movement have been arrested on New York's City's Brooklyn Bridge, police say.

They were part of a larger group crossing the bridge from Manhattan, where they have been camped out near Wall Street for two weeks.

Some entered the bridge's roadway and were met by a large police presence and detained, most for disorderly conduct...

Here's the kicker: the police led them across the bridge. It was a planned mass-arrest.
Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)

Attila

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 16, 2011, 12:47:06 AM
It's gone global, and got quite violent in Rome when some anarchists crashed the party.
Once again you amaze me with your supernatural ability to find "facts" that aren't. I guess if all you watch is FOXNEWS then this is the garbage you spout. Consider the following:
This from the RTE (the Irish national broadcaster)
QuoteThe demonstration began peacefully but turned violent when hundreds of hooded demonstrators known as "black blocs," who had infiltrated the larger group, set cars and garbage bins on fire.
And now read this:
QuoteA black bloc is a tactic for protests and marches, whereby individuals wear black clothing, scarves, ski masks, motorcycle helmets with padding or other face-concealing items and often carry some sort of shields and truncheons.The clothing is used to avoid being identified, and to, theoretically, appear as one large mass, promoting solidarity.

The tactic was developed in the 1980s by autonomists protesting squatter evictions, nuclear power and restrictions on abortion among other things.
Now note this in particular (I'll bold the key points to make it easier for you).
Quote"The Black Bloc" is sometimes incorrectly reported as being the name of a specific anarchist group. It is, rather, a tactic that may be adopted by groups of various motivations and methods.
Apparently truth and accuracy are not christian virtues. You might ask about this the next time you are visited by the holy spirit. But then such fraudulent claims are not surprising coming from someone that has claimed that the "meek" inherited India.
Attila

Ildiko

Admit it, "Extreme Anarchist and wine lover", we had a great time though, didn't we?

Tank

Everything The Media Told You About Occupy Wall Street Is Wrong

QuoteAfter 10 days out of town, I finally made it to Occupy Wall Street on Tuesday and had a chance to see for myself what's going on. My conclusion: almost everything the media told me about the protest is wrong...
Worth a read IMHO.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.