News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Angry Atheists

Started by Amicale, May 02, 2012, 05:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on May 02, 2012, 08:52:55 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 02, 2012, 08:42:37 PM
I'm pretty angry, and it definitely comes down to disgust, sick and tired of being treated like a worthless object.
You're definitely not worthless.

Quote from: SweetdeathI'm a gay woman. So yeah, religious people and i REALLY don't get along.

:P
I realize this may be your experience...and for what it's worth, I apologize for my closed-minded brethren.

Thanks, AD.
I consider you a more loving and open minded person/ follower of christ. :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Sweetdeath

I am definitely going to read Quantum Leap. Sounds really interesting.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Harmonie

I am probably what you would call an 'Angry Atheist', but it's not from anything irrational. I don't think that being religious has anything to do with intelligence and do not like fellow atheists making any statements even implying that it does. I'm fine being friends with Christians, because as has been said, not all Christians are outward with their faith, and a good number of them are also good people who do not hide their irrational hatred for groups of people behind what the book says. Individuals have different layers to them. You can't judge them because of this belief, they can still be just as good of a person as you. And they can be - and usually are - perfectly normal people outside of their belief.

What makes me an 'Angry Atheist' is that I am anti-religion. Of course, more anti-Abrahamic religion than others. I see religion's influence on everything, and I can't help but be this way. I have always felt very strongly against discrimination and hatred towards group of people who are different. And no matter what way I twist it, Christianity has played too large of a role in allowing such discrimination and hatred to persist. Not everybody who is a Christian has, of course, but when it comes to this, I'm afraid all it takes is the bad people to spoil it all. Christianity is so accepted into Western society that when somebody claims something to be a religious belief, it garners some level of respect. It may not when it comes to individuals like us, but when it comes to lawmakers and people in positions of power, it oftentimes does, and this is all it takes. Blacks and women were denied rights and thought of as lesser people for the longest time, and the Bible's words were right there to support that. Nowadays, even in such a progressive society, the effect is still there. School districts are getting pressured by Christian hate groups to remain 'neutral' to homosexuality. Moreover not say anything about sexuality, and not be able to speak about it. All this does is allow for bullies to say incredibly nasty things to homosexuals or kids who are perceived to be homosexual, and because of the 'neutrality' the staff can't do a thing about it. They just have to let it go on. Where this 'policy' has been implemented, there have been many suicides by those who are homosexual or perceived as such. Now tell me, do you think that such a bad policy could have ever gotten implemented if the group pushing for it wasn't (supposedly) motivated by religious belief?

Again, I am not saying that Christians in general are like this. I know that they are not. It's just that the bad outweighs the good. Since I also believe that Christianity is false, I honestly just want it to go away. Not to spite those good believers. I don't want it forced upon them, I just want society to move away from Christianity, so the influence of it upon lawmakers and people in power can go down greatly. No matter how many good Christians there are, the bad ones have too much influence. I'm afraid that influence will remain until the day that society isn't so pressured by Christianity anymore.

This is why I press for a strict separation of church and state. Perhaps if it were followed like that, Christians and other religious believers could still continue to believe, but the influence upon society and lawmaking would be so much lower that I wouldn't care so much anymore. However, today that is not a reality. And that's not even going into the governments that still allow full-scale discrimination toward women and homosexuals. Don't even get me started on that.

Call me an 'Angry Atheist' all you want, it isn't going to change. I'm just a passionate person.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

technolud

On a % basis, I believe I've met more "angry" christians then atheists.

Some people just don't play well together.  I don't see "angry" atheists as a large problem.

However, I do believe atheists as a group need to work towards higher visibility and working as  a group to forward our beliefs, especially the seperation of church and state.  Talk about the silent majority.

Jimmy

I agree with Radiant on the point that it appropriate to feel anger, given the extent that religion affects each and every one of our lives. However, I can't live my own life with anger, because it will destroy the best of who I am and the relationships I have. So, yeah, I feel discontentment and sometimes a little anger, but I try my best to have control over that emotion; it can be a dangerous one.

It has taken me years to develop my own outlook on life, one without superstition, or the supernatural, but the one thing the religious cannot take from me is my peace of mind in knowing and understanding the world and accepting it for what it really is in a way that is completely different from how many of them see it. But, I don't demonstrate this to them by telling them their ways are wrong, even if I know they are, but by finding that common ground, which takes the form of human decency, and by setting an example for others to follow.  Besides, religiosity in individuals isn't fixed. Many of us have been religious in the past and have tried more than one path before arriving to atheism (some atheist will also go on and adopt a religion again). So because any religious person can at some point become atheist, as I have, I really don't have any room to criticize anyone.

I actually tend to get along quite well with many religious people and have very little reason to be angry toward the religious in day-to-day life. But, I am a strong and passionate supporter of the separation of church and state and will use reason, not anger, to make my case in the public realm. I'm very tolerant of religion in the private sphere, not so much in the public, at least in education, health care, and law because it affect all members of society.

For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Ali

Quote from: technolud on May 03, 2012, 11:17:03 AM
On a % basis, I believe I've met more "angry" christians then atheists.

Some people just don't play well together.  I don't see "angry" atheists as a large problem.

However, I do believe atheists as a group need to work towards higher visibility and working as  a group to forward our beliefs, especially the seperation of church and state.  Talk about the silent majority.

This is kind of along the same lines I was thinking too.  I remember reading an article written by an atheist talking about the perception of the "angry atheist", and the part that really stuck with me is about the phrase "militant atheist."  Pretty common phrase, yes?  Also fairly uncommon to hear, for example "militant Christian" or "Militant Jew" or whatever, even though in the history of humanity, atheists have rarely martialed any sort of military style attacks on the behalf of atheism, where as there have been plenty of literal Christian armies, and it's not really that out there to consider the Israeli army a Jewish army, et cetera.  Generally speaking, when you call someone a "militant" atheist, what that usually means is that it's someone who may debate theists in the comments section of online newspaper articles or maybe help sponsor a billboard.   ;D  Not incredibly "militant" when you think about the actual connotations of "militant".  Which is not to fall into some sort of "Theists are actually militant, so we can get away with being snotty" type two-wrongs-making-a-right thinking.  I just think it's interesting, and kind of shows a sort of built in bias against atheists.

Ecurb Noselrub

Actually a forum like this is a pretty good way to deal with this attitude.  Since it's foundation is being happy, and it is quite civil compared to other places, a believer ought to feel fairly comfortable coming here and discussing things.  In that discussion, both sides can actually attempt to communicate and come to a better understanding of each other, even if nobody is going to change their mind about faith.  If you try to communicate, usually you can find some common ground, and that goes a long way toward softening anger. 

Firebird

Quote from: Ali on May 03, 2012, 06:21:27 PM
Generally speaking, when you call someone a "militant" atheist, what that usually means is that it's someone who may debate theists in the comments section of online newspaper articles or maybe help sponsor a billboard.   ;D  Not incredibly "militant" when you think about the actual connotations of "militant".  Which is not to fall into some sort of "Theists are actually militant, so we can get away with being snotty" type two-wrongs-making-a-right thinking.  I just think it's interesting, and kind of shows a sort of built in bias against atheists.

At the risk of gross generalization, that's a common tactic among the conservatives in the US. "Militant atheist", "elitist", "un-American", etc...attaching supposedly evil labels to people who disagree with them, whether it be in matters of separation of church and state, gay rights, etc.

There's a difference when you talk about this on a personal level vs. a more general, societal level. I'd like to think I'm not an angry atheist. I've had some religious friends without there being an issue; it generally didn't come up, and I respected their beliefs and did not object when they talked about them. I respect other people's beliefs as long as it doesn't get shoved in my face. But I relate to a lot of what Radiant was talking about. It's hard not to become angry when your own government is trying to shove it in your face and you're told that you're not patriotic because you don't believe in god. When someone like Michele Bachmann or Sarah Palin opens their mouths about god, family, etc. then I feel like I have to speak up, even if it's in an angry tone. I feel like I'm being personally attacked at that point. And I can't deny that I feel our society would be much better off without organized religion.

I think it all depends on the degree of religiosity. Not that it would ever happen, but if my wife were to ever decide she believed in god and wanted to start going to religious services, it would bother me, and I'd probably fight with her about it. But I wouldn't leave her. If she became some sort of religious zealot who didn't respect my non-belief and objected to how I lived my life on religious grounds, it would be a whole other matter. But by then she would be unrecognizable as the person I know and love.

Not sure if that really answered the question or not.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Ali on May 03, 2012, 06:21:27 PMPretty common phrase, yes?  Also fairly uncommon to hear, for example "militant Christian" or "Militant Jew" or whatever, even though in the history of humanity, atheists have rarely martialed any sort of military style attacks on the behalf of atheism, where as there have been plenty of literal Christian armies, and it's not really that out there to consider the Israeli army a Jewish army, et cetera. 

Militant may be kept for those unruly types not accepting the place their betters have set for them. Feminists, atheists, unionists, environmentalists, human rights activists, in other words trouble makers undermining the foundations of society.

fester30

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 04, 2012, 02:53:33 AM
Quote from: Ali on May 03, 2012, 06:21:27 PMPretty common phrase, yes?  Also fairly uncommon to hear, for example "militant Christian" or "Militant Jew" or whatever, even though in the history of humanity, atheists have rarely martialed any sort of military style attacks on the behalf of atheism, where as there have been plenty of literal Christian armies, and it's not really that out there to consider the Israeli army a Jewish army, et cetera. 

Militant may be kept for those unruly types not accepting the place their betters have set for them. Feminists, atheists, unionists, environmentalists, human rights activists, in other words trouble makers undermining the foundations of society.

A militant Muslim is one who blows up buildings.  A militant atheist is one who defends themselves when religion is thrown in their face.  I love how the bar is set at different heights.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 04, 2012, 02:53:33 AM

I perceive it in much the same way. The Western status quo is a sensitive thing...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Stevil

Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 03, 2012, 12:07:26 AM
I am definitely going to read Quantum Leap. Sounds really interesting.
Sorry it is called Quantum Legacy.

OldGit

I have always tagged myself 'militant atheist' because I feel that having decided that religion is not only false, but also harmful, I feel I ought to oppose it actively.  However my weapon of choice would be humour every time, not anger.

Amicale

Quote from: OldGit on May 05, 2012, 10:00:19 AM
I have always tagged myself 'militant atheist' because I feel that having decided that religion is not only false, but also harmful, I feel I ought to oppose it actively.  However my weapon of choice would be humour every time, not anger.

I wish more people used humour rather than anger. People respond way better to humour. The world would be a happier place.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

OldGit

True, Amicale, but don't forget just how cruel humour can be.