Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Just be glad they aren't TTY.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.

jumbojak

Torque to yield. You'd be buying all new bolts and waiting on them. TTY bolts are basically single use. The torque spec stretches them enough that you can't reuse them. At least, not with peace of mind.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dark Lightning

BTDT with the rechecking of bolts and nuts. When I worked as a mechanic, I couldn't tell you how many times I crawled under a vehicle to check that I had tightened the oil pan drain plug. There never was a loose one. You get into a zone doing the work and then later don't remember, kind of like highway hypnosis.

billy rubin

my 4 rod bolts cost us$70.

not torque to yield.

i wont uze them twice

theyre prwtty good bolts ,, ARP 2000 seris  but i hd  serious blow up with somwtht werwwupposex tb be within tbeir wervicw life so i nolongertrustthem.
sorry wet phone

Icarus

Thank you for the translation Mags.  My Curiosity is satisfied....until I read some other Spanish words that I can not translate.  You are my Muse; one of the nine daughters of Zeus and Mnemosyne........ Surely one or more of those daughters spoke fluent Salvadoran Spanish.

Icarus

BR I was under the impression that pretty much all the ARP fasteners were TTY spec. 

When I was in the manufacturing business I built  precision measuring instruments.  Among those instruments were a tool that used a dial indicator to measure the yield dimension of rod bolts or other critical fasteners like main bearing caps.   

My main product was an indicator that measures tension in a fabric or membrane.  Because I am a hopeless gear head I did make some stuff like the bolt measuring tools.

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on November 26, 2019, 12:16:50 AM
Thank you for the translation Mags.  My Curiosity is satisfied....until I read some other Spanish words that I can not translate. 
:boaterhat: You're welcome.

Quote from: Icarus on November 26, 2019, 12:16:50 AM
You are my Muse; one of the nine daughters of Zeus and Mnemosyne........ Surely one or more of those daughters spoke fluent Salvadoran Spanish.
If Zeus is my father, that means Dionysus is my brother.
That's beautiful.
Thank you.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

Quote from: Icarus on November 26, 2019, 05:41:08 AM
BR I was under the impression that pretty much all the ARP fasteners were TTY spec. 

When I was in the manufacturing business I built  precision measuring instruments.  Among those instruments were a tool that used a dial indicator to measure the yield dimension of rod bolts or other critical fasteners like main bearing caps.   

how did that work?

th eparticular rod bolts i use aren't torque to yield, but i measure them before i ever use them and then tighten using a stretch gauge

the bolts are necked down to 5/16, as if they were torque to yield, but i stretch them to 0.005, still under the yield point.. they're supposed to be good for 4 torques, or until they grow 0.001 from oiginal. but i won't use them twice anymore.

My main product was an indicator that measures tension in a fabric or membrane.  Because I am a hopeless gear head I did make some stuff like the bolt measuring tools.

it's hard to get a micrometer with pin anvils on both sides. i ended up ordering two sets of tips to get what i needed.

Buddy

I leave my phone unattended for five minutes with my boss and suddenly I have a tinder date on Friday. Hope I don't get murdered
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on November 26, 2019, 05:25:58 PM
I leave my phone unattended for five minutes with my boss and suddenly I have a tinder date on Friday. Hope I don't get murdered

:rofl:

If you stop posting we'll know why!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

BR; torque to yield (tty) is a really bad designation but it has been used by non techno mavens as a descriptive.  Any material that is exposed to any sort of stress, in this case tension stress, will deform.  Materials all have a characteristic called Youngs Modulus.  It is in the engineering jargon called Modulus of Elasticity.  The symbol, small case e, is normally used in the evaluations of ultimate strength of a material.

Yield strength is a whole different deal.  At some point in the examination of the elastic modulus, that is when the material finally fails, we have reached yield strength. Yield point is when the the material has been so much stressed that it begins to come unglued.  The characteristic of steel and similar materials is that when stressed near the yield point it begins to contract in such a way that the area of the stressed part becomes smaller and then violates the elastic modulus which leads to failure. One can see proof of that concept at work when pulling taffy.

I have a sneaking suspicion that BR, and several others of you, knows all that stuff.  What the hell,  rocks and other materials obey the same  rules.   We have reliable information about the modulus of elasticity, and yield points of all the materials that we use in an engineering scheme.  ARP bolts are made of a high strength steel alloy that has its own strength characteristics.  The  elastic modulus is well determined and the recommended stretch of rod bolts or other fasteners at  critical junctions is well within, and far below, the yield strength.

Physics lecture completed.  The class is now excused to get on with more important things.....

jumbojak

I'm thinking about selling all of my tools and equipment. Maybe becoming a nomad of sorts, or at least able to be nomadic if I so choose. I have most of what you'd need to start a Fab shop, a farm shop at any rate.

I realized today that all of that is probably dragging me down. I don't have an affinity for money but my stuff is far too precious to me. I'll never be able to make the sorts of changes that I need to make if I'm worried about it.

Take a weekend or two to get everything ready and then list it at firesale prices. Everything must go! Or at least, that's what I'm thinking about.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on November 26, 2019, 09:26:58 PM
Quote from: Buddy on November 26, 2019, 05:25:58 PM

:rofl:

If you stop posting we'll know why!

At this point I think I'm in the back seat of my own life. Stuff keeps happening and I just roll with it.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on November 27, 2019, 01:35:33 AM
I'm thinking about selling all of my tools and equipment. Maybe becoming a nomad of sorts, or at least able to be nomadic if I so choose. I have most of what you'd need to start a Fab shop, a farm shop at any rate.

I realized today that all of that is probably dragging me down. I don't have an affinity for money but my stuff is far too precious to me. I'll never be able to make the sorts of changes that I need to make if I'm worried about it.

Take a weekend or two to get everything ready and then list it at firesale prices. Everything must go! Or at least, that's what I'm thinking about.

You sound like me. After I got my last degree, I wanted to get out of academia and chemistry to become a sculptor. To the horror of my science professors, I was accepted as a student at the Central School of Art and Design in London, but life had other plans for me. I think there is some creativity in you that feels stifled by your daily work routine. I am not saying you should take any drastic steps, but think you should perhaps at least take a sabbatical for half a year or longer and try something new. Travel to Europe or the East and get rejuvenated!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames