News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Blasphemy law

Started by MarcusA, May 05, 2023, 12:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcusA

Blasphemy law is still on the books, every-goddamn-where.
This user has been banned for spamming the forum.

No one

Hoomans are fearful, superstitious imbeciles.

MarcusA

And it has never been seriously challenged.

Asmodean

We have no such active laws where I live, but there certainly are groups of particularly-peaceful adherents to the religion of peace who would very much like to see them put in place and enforced before "anything" else.

For the time being, they use whatever hate speech provisions they may find in stead - luckily, over here, not very effectively.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MarcusA

In Australia, the charge of blasphemy hasn't been brought against any person or persons for decades; and yet, blasphemy is still against the law here.

Asmodean

It's quite common to have plenty of laws that are technically in effect, but have not been enforced for generations. It needs not be a problem, unless someone who actually may succeed is making a push for their rejuvenation.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Icarus

My demented governor, DeSantis of Florida, has promoted and signed several new laws that oppose what he and his toadies see as blaspheme. Don't say gay, make DEI unlawful in our universities, Do not mention CRT, Ban certain books, Ban drag shows, etc. Fire teachers who dare mention anything that even faintly resembles sex education.

AHA!  There is a growing backlash. Several powerful organizations have issued travel warnings to prospective tourists. They are the NAACP, LULAC (league of united Latin Americans citizens), Florida Immigrant Coalition made up of 65 organizations and LGBTQ civil rights group, Equality Florida.

Tourism is an important industry in Florida, making up 24% of the states overall economy. Disney alone attracts a hundred million tourists to Florida, annually.

I truly hope that all that conservative extremism will bite them in the ass, with utmost severity.. The question is: will we dispose of the anti-blaspheme contingent by way of the ballot box?

Bluenose

As far as I am concerned, it is almost a duty for any reasonable person to blaspheme at every available opportunity.  Not to offend the religious, but to defend the right to free speech and the expression of belief and, just as importantly, non-belief.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

Quote from: Bluenose on May 24, 2023, 01:51:53 AMAs far as I am concerned, it is almost a duty for any reasonable person to blaspheme at every available opportunity.  Not to offend the religious, but to defend the right to free speech and the expression of belief and, just as importantly, non-belief.
:smilenod: Prophet Mohammed was a pedo, princess Diana was nothing special, your football team sucks and there are only two genders.

The Asmo. He is the blasphemous sort, you see. Damn-near heretical, in fact, and He very much agrees. :smilenod:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.