News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

A Chat Room

Started by Kyuuketsuki, October 26, 2008, 05:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyuuketsuki

Here's an idea for your worthinesses to consider :)

Other forums have hidden forum facilities purely for the atheists (I just got invited into one) and I was (firstly) wondering if that would be an idea worthwhile implementing here (in the other place it was entirely human managed i.e. someone decideds you're "one of us" and personally invites you to join) but you could (instead of or in addition to) have an immediate chat thing (I mentioned one in my thread It's Sunday, 5:18AM UK T ime ... but that's a bit ad hoc).

If this idea is a "goer" I'd be entirely happy to lend a hand it if you want.

Another thought that occurs to me as I write this ... since this is evidently a US forum but has people joining from all around the world and that is that the US must sleep at some point and it might be worth adding some international moderators, when my SJS campaign forum was active we had a couple of US ones.

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]

Whitney

I did experiment with using external chat rooms for forum members and, although some people dropped in, it didn't really work well as something that was necessarily tied to the forum.  I will eventually be adding an integrated chat but was waiting on a phpbb approved mod to be released for doing so....one is in the works.

I have been on forums where there is a back room.  Where the existance of that back room was made known to members who were not in it trouble has occured with little conspiracy theories about what goes on in there.  So, if I were to create a secret club room I wouldn't make it public knowledge and those in it would not be allowed to talk about it in the main forum areas  ;) But, I really don't have one set up at this time.

I am not sure if this forum is of the type where it is necessary to provide a little safe area away from the theists.  The rules keep the preaching out of the main forums so that there is always an escape for those that don't want to talk about religious stuff.  So, although it would be very easy to set such an area up, is there really a need here?

As for moderators...there are so few issues with moderating people that I think it's fine right now.  I'd like to avoid having too many cooks in the kitchen, so to speak.

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "laetusatheos"I did experiment with using external chat rooms for forum members and, although some people dropped in, it didn't really work well as something that was necessarily tied to the forum.  I will eventually be adding an integrated chat but was waiting on a phpbb approved mod to be released for doing so....one is in the works.

I have been on forums where there is a back room.  Where the existance of that back room was made known to members who were not in it trouble has occured with little conspiracy theories about what goes on in there.  So, if I were to create a secret club room I wouldn't make it public knowledge and those in it would not be allowed to talk about it in the main forum areas  :)

Quote from: "laetusatheos"As for moderators...there are so few issues with moderating people that I think it's fine right now.  I'd like to avoid having too many cooks in the kitchen, so to speak.

This was the kind of thing I was thinking of:

http://www.happyatheistforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2089

In my opinion these people shouldn't be allowed to post their crap for any length of time and global moderation would get rid of it quicker.

Again fair enough though ... I assume that this is your forum then? :)

Kyu

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Kyuuketsuki"Again fair enough though ... I assume that this is your forum then? ;)
-Curio

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Did the "Admin" under her name give it away?  :)

Kyu

wazzz

Kyu is the brain of this site  :D  :D
really it would be nice if u get chat room here  :D
int main()
{
cout<<"Hello World ";
return 0;
}

Kyuuketsuki

Quote from: "wazzz"Kyu is the brain of this site  :D  :D

Thanks (nice of you to say) but no, no, no & no ... there's lots of smart people here and I suspect when some don't say much it has much more to do with being fed up with theist sh**! I mean why bother when they aren't going to listen anyway? Anyway I can hardly be the brains when I've only been here a couple of weeks.

Quote from: "wazzz"really it would be nice if u get chat room here  :D

The boss says she's gonna think about it and is waiting on a PHPBB update so we'll get that sooner or later I guess.

Kyu

Whitney

PHPbb has not released a "stable" mod for phpbb3 for ajax chat (which is what I plan on installing later).  Depending on what I have going on this weekend, I might install ajax on a test forum to see if it causes any issues...but that means I'll have to set up a test forum too.  I have already told a friend (quite some time ago) I'd do some logo work for her group, so I need to get the logo done first.

Here's a previous discussion about chat:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1525