Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on October 04, 2018, 04:59:38 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on October 04, 2018, 10:36:25 AM
Quote from: Dave on October 04, 2018, 09:44:03 AM
Mr Fix-It even has to visit hospital. Fixed dodgy plug with a length of tournequette elastic and roll of sugical tape.

[img width=450 heig253506]https://i.imgur.com/QSzft0k.jpg[/img]

:lol:

You're unbelievable. Already antagonizing the union, you troublemaker.

No, it was on my phone charger, won't go near the real stuff in these places! I fluffed the photo re-sixing.

But have already shown three new nurrses ways of keeping ECG leads under control using existings tapes on surgical gowns. Basically by doing the gowns up with the bows at the front and not the back. The tapes are long enough.

Oh, I assumed you were fixing hospital stuff.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I did a bit of gunsmithing last night. One of my old rifles, a Remington 190 .22 was borrowed by my brother and brought back to me when it stopped working. He said it wouldn't cycle... turns out that the barrel was loose to the point of nearly falling off!

I disassembled the front half and tapped the barrel nut back into place with a punch and gave the rifle a good once over. I knocked the rust off of the bluing and gave it a good coating of oil. The magazine tube was very rusty so I chucked it into a drill and polished it with scotchbrite to get it back into good working order.

Now I want to get a scope for it, because I really can't see well enough these days to hit anything with the factory dovetail sight. Is it wrong of me to want a Nikon scopen for an old rifle that can be picked up used for less than $100?  :lol:

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on December 23, 2018, 02:16:49 PM
I did a bit of gunsmithing last night. One of my old rifles, a Remington 190 .22 was borrowed by my brother and brought back to me when it stopped working. He said it wouldn't cycle... turns out that the barrel was loose to the point of nearly falling off!

I disassembled the front half and tapped the barrel nut back into place with a punch and gave the rifle a good once over. I knocked the rust off of the bluing and gave it a good coating of oil. The magazine tube was very rusty so I chucked it into a drill and polished it with scotchbrite to get it back into good working order.

Now I want to get a scope for it, because I really can't see well enough these days to hit anything with the factory dovetail sight. Is it wrong of me to want a Nikon scopen for an old rifle that can be picked up used for less than $100?  :lol:

So glad to see some action again in this thread that has been very quiet without Dave. As for the scope, I don't know, but if you want one, why not?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I was thinking about Dave last night which is why I got off my ass and started on that rifle. If someone had looked in the kitchen window they might've had serious reservations about a man working on a rifle in his underwear at two in the morning.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on December 23, 2018, 02:42:00 PM
I was thinking about Dave last night which is why I got off my ass and started on that rifle. If someone had looked in the kitchen window they might've had serious reservations about a man working on a rifle in his underwear at two in the morning.

I shall cherish that image for ever.
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

I was thinking about If someone had looked in the kitchen window they might've had serious reservations about a man working on a rifle in his underwear at two in the morning.

Possibly or they might of:
a)lingered and enjoyed the show
b)thought À chacun son goût and moved on to the next window
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: hermes2015 on December 23, 2018, 02:54:26 PM

See! see! Hermes would've lingered and enjoyed the show.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

hermes2015

Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 23, 2018, 03:01:57 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on December 23, 2018, 02:54:26 PM

See, see, Hermes would've lingered and enjoyed the show.

:snicker1:
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Nothing wrong with a scope, even on an inexpensive rifle. I shot groups with open sights 25 years ago that I now need to use a scope to get. You can get a decent scope for around $75. How far do you expect to shoot? In my case it's 50 feet using A-32 targets. The bull is 1/64th inch larger radius than the slug (22 cal).

jumbojak

Well, the hand plane Icarus advised me on is almost, almost, in working order. I drilled and tapped the mounting holes for 1/4-20 threads and found some hardware that worked. I had to grind the heads of the screws back and do a bit of file work on the threads once they were cut to length, but once I get some more lock washers it'll be in working order.

The body took quite a bit of work with a wire wheel to get into reasonable shape. The plane had been in a damp storage area and unused for many years based on the rust that was present. The frog wasn't so bad but needed a little cleanup too and the irons were lapped on a carborundum stone at the working ends. You can still see a bit of pitting but they are acceptable.

On a related note I ran across a tap storage method to help maintain my growing collection of taps. Dip them in paraffin wax! It doubles as a moisture barrier and keeps the cutting edges protected. I'm building out sets in common sizes and this seems to help.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on January 07, 2019, 02:33:18 AM
Well, the hand plane Icarus advised me on is almost, almost, in working order. I drilled and tapped the mounting holes for 1/4-20 threads and found some hardware that worked. I had to grind the heads of the screws back and do a bit of file work on the threads once they were cut to length, but once I get some more lock washers it'll be in working order.

The body took quite a bit of work with a wire wheel to get into reasonable shape. The plane had been in a damp storage area and unused for many years based on the rust that was present. The frog wasn't so bad but needed a little cleanup too and the irons were lapped on a carborundum stone at the working ends. You can still see a bit of pitting but they are acceptable.

On a related note I ran across a tap storage method to help maintain my growing collection of taps. Dip them in paraffin wax! It doubles as a moisture barrier and keeps the cutting edges protected. I'm building out sets in common sizes and this seems to help.

That restoration job came out very well. Good to see it reborn as a beautiful tool.

You are right to use paraffin wax to store the taps; don't be tempted to use beeswax, because it is quite corrosive.
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I didn't know it was corrosive but the cost is enough to keep me away!

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on January 07, 2019, 03:22:17 AM
I didn't know it was corrosive but the cost is enough to keep me away!

I don't know whether all batches are corrosive, but in my experience when I was doing batik work, the hot beeswax I was using definitely attacked the aluminium pot I was heating it in. Even my brass tjantings showed green corrosion.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

This is a 900mm tall maquette of a sculpture I intend to execute in metal. It started out as a torus that was then deformed and cut into slices to get this final shape.

― Charles Eames

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.