News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Tank I supect that you have tuned your bandsaw nicely. You are doing nice work with it.  Here is a refresher video that has some good tuning information for your approval.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxVyKsbuwZQ

Icarus

Here is a useful gadget that you can make for the bandsaw.  This will be useful if you decide to make round boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6_2h-vo0jA

I have a quarrel with this guy because he is cutting the round parts with the upper guides way too high above the cut........perhaps he did that for the benefit of the video.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on January 23, 2021, 05:56:45 AM
Tank I supect that you have tuned your bandsaw nicely. You are doing nice work with it.  Here is a refresher video that has some good tuning information for your approval.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxVyKsbuwZQ

Excellent recommendation. I've seen this one!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on January 23, 2021, 06:14:28 AM
Here is a useful gadget that you can make for the bandsaw.  This will be useful if you decide to make round boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6_2h-vo0jA

I have a quarrel with this guy because he is cutting the round parts with the upper guides way too high above the cut........perhaps he did that for the benefit of the video.

Now this is going to be very interesting!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

I am going to use that superglue and wood glue trick.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 23, 2021, 09:56:57 AM

I hope you ask permission first!

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on January 23, 2021, 10:14:38 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on January 23, 2021, 09:56:57 AM

I hope you ask permission first!

Lesser artists borrow; great artists steal.
      Pablo Picasso
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

I have ordered a planner thicknesser  :D

It should arrive 17th February or thereabouts.

Dark Lightning

Nice! I have one about the same size, a Porter-Cable. It's really handy.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 25, 2021, 03:48:32 PM

I'm looking forward to having some accurately shaped wood to work from :)

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on January 25, 2021, 05:54:31 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 25, 2021, 03:48:32 PM

I'm looking forward to having some accurately shaped wood to work from :)

Indeed, it makes gluing up a panel from smaller boards easier- to get a good fit.

Icarus

Tank in the colonies we call that machine a Jointer.  It is a most useful machine that can make life easier for the woodworker. A planer is a whole other machine whose function is only to "plane" or remove some of the surface of the board. It self feeds whatever you run through it. The top has feed rollers and is covered safely covered.

The jointer is to be feared....FEARED!!   Half of my right hand forefinger is long gone.  Thanks to a dumb mistake I made years ago.  Never even go near that thing unless you are well equipped with push sticks or handles.  The wildly rotating blades make no mind of what they are cutting.  The part you are cutting can kick back violently if the blades encounter a knot or other hard place in the wood.  The Jointer is much more versatile as it can make beveled edges and rabbets.  Just be damned careful with it.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on January 25, 2021, 11:26:32 PM
Tank in the colonies we call that machine a Jointer.  It is a most useful machine that can make life easier for the woodworker. A planer is a whole other machine whose function is only to "plane" or remove some of the surface of the board. It self feeds whatever you run through it. The top has feed rollers and is covered safely covered.

The jointer is to be feared....FEARED!!   Half of my right hand forefinger is long gone.  Thanks to a dumb mistake I made years ago.  Never even go near that thing unless you are well equipped with push sticks or handles.  The wildly rotating blades make no mind of what they are cutting.  The part you are cutting can kick back violently if the blades encounter a knot or other hard place in the wood.  The Jointer is much more versatile as it can make beveled edges and rabbets.  Just be damned careful with it.

Indeed. When I was in woodshop one summer session, a kid lost most of most of his fingers. That's not a typo. I was tasked with cleaning up the sawdust and blood.  :???: The Fire Department came back looking for chunks of bone that might have helped extend what was left of that kid's fingers, which wasn't much. I had already thrown them in the dumpster, but I can assure you that what comes out of the jointer is pretty much just dust, but in his case, it looked liked hamburger. He was 12 YO at the time, and didn't check with the teacher before trying to run his project through. The teacher had gone around introducing each machine in terms of capabilities and threats. For the jointer, he actually wrote with a permanent marker, "greater than 1 foot long, greater than 4 inches wide", and no plywood, or some such, right on the bed of the machine. I know for certain about the plywood. One of the first projects was a sanding block made of 3/4" plywood, 3" wide and 4" long. When I recall this episode, I can still recall that kid's scream, and seeing him holding up his hands, nearly fingerless, and missing most of one thumb.  :o

Tank

My next door neighbour was a professional joiner. He told me the worst accident he had ever witnessed was a guy who lost all the fingers on one hand using one of these.

DL so what your saying is don't do small stuff?

Dark Lightning

There should be a blurb in the manual for minimum length, width and thickness. I've never run anything shorter than 2 feet long on mine, for example.