News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

There are several kinds of cedar.  Some of it is used for roofing shingles and others of the species are used for various projects such as canoe building. These cedars have little or no prominent smell. The one that you are referring to is commonly called Incense Cedar.  It is the only one of the cedar types that has the unique essence. 

Hermes, I suspect that you know what the chemical component is that causes the pleasing odor and why it also repels insects.  It is said that certain of the cedars contain a toxic chemical that makes sawing or sanding of the wood somewhat dangerous.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 07, 2020, 04:39:53 AM
Quote from: Tank on September 06, 2020, 07:17:43 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on September 06, 2020, 07:13:33 PM
Are you going to keep your stash of benzene in the box?

:snicker1: it could be a ring box.

Pity you didn't use cedar wood. Then it would have been an aromatic ring box.

:jaded rimshot: Couldn't find the other one, I'm too tired. :D

Tank

:grin:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

EDM is not new. I've designed and had parts made via a wire EDM process back in the '90s, and it was used by others before that. In our case they were thin structures for antennas that would not lend themselves to standard machining techniques.

Tank

It's a spark eroder. I first saw one of these in 1977 when I started work. They were being used to make tiny plastic moulds for IC sockets.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

:lol: And all the nightmares from trying to draw tiny hexagons in Organic chem class are coming back to me now!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Tank, have you tried making a Russian box? :grin: Boxes within boxes...like Inception, but with boxes. :deadpan:

:P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 08, 2020, 01:41:48 PM
Tank, have you tried making a Russian box? :grin: Boxes within boxes...like Inception, but with boxes. :deadpan:

:P

Not tried that yet. But might do one day :)

hermes2015

I love the profile of this hammer designed by Keiji Takeuchi. I think I need one in my toolbox, or displayed as a sculpture in my home.

http://www.keijitakeuchi.com/index.html
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

It looks rather slippery. Could be right up your alley.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on September 16, 2020, 12:29:25 PM
It looks rather slippery. Could be right up your alley.

:snicker1: You know me so well.
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

That's s sweet hammer! I'm not sure that I'd use it on metal, though. Being one piece of metal, it would likely ring enough to sting the hands. Wall art, I guess. :shrug:

Tank

An experiment in feet, hinges and brass.

Simple but quite solid as the lid and box walls needed to accommodate barrel hinges. The lid it made of two pieces of oak  with particularly nice grain. The feet are also oar and routed, the body is Sapele. The brass pins are brazing rod, which is by far the cheapest way to buy brass rod. I don't think I'll be using barrel hinges again before I get a drill press.

Tank

Finished another little hexagonal jewellery box. This is made from Sapele with brass highlights.