News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Nice work tank.  I appreciate your craftsmanship.  The chess pieces are particularly imaginative and well done.

Do as Hermes suggests.

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 02, 2020, 04:28:55 AM
That falls into the heirloom category. You should engrave the date of completion and your name on the bottom of the board.

That's a good idea. I bought a wood burner stencil and iron and I haven't used it yet.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on September 02, 2020, 05:03:27 AM
Nice work tank.  I appreciate your craftsmanship.  The chess pieces are particularly imaginative and well done.

Do as Hermes suggests.

Yes dad.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

it is really nice

how doesthe stencil work?

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on September 02, 2020, 12:10:57 PM
it is really nice

how doesthe stencil work?

Essentially a guided electric soldering iron.

Tank

I found the 60° setting on my mitre saw :)

3 main parts before assembly

All assembled and sanded to 120g

Cut into two pieces and adding the hinges

No linseed oil but with the three trial pieces I made

Partially finished so you can see the difference the linseed oil makes

Inside

Dark Lightning

hermes2015

The edge-on view of the plywood layers in the plywood hexagon in photo 4 is very attractive.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 06, 2020, 03:36:26 PM
The edge-on view of the plywood layers in the plywood hexagon in photo 4 is very attractive.

I thought so too. That's what started me off on the triangles/hexagons.

hermes2015

Are you going to keep your stash of benzene in the box?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on September 06, 2020, 07:13:33 PM

:snicker1: it could be a ring box.

Dark Lightning

Indeed. I'm betting on Baltic birch. I use a lot of it for casework because it doesn't turn into a tortilla shape after cutting, like most other type of plywood. It looks like that (light/dark stripes) when finished with a clear coat.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 06, 2020, 07:30:25 PM

Indeed. I'm betting on Baltic birch. I use a lot of it for casework because it doesn't turn into a tortilla shape after cutting, like most other type of plywood. It looks like that (light/dark stripes) when finished with a clear coat.

It looks like birch but it was an 8" off cut that I was playing with. :)

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on September 06, 2020, 07:17:43 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on September 06, 2020, 07:13:33 PM

:snicker1: it could be a ring box.

Pity you didn't use cedar wood. Then it would have been an aromatic ring box.
― Charles Eames