News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on August 02, 2018, 05:31:23 AM
Work oUT the dimensions of the part you need and I'll see if I can knock something together for you once my arm starts working properly again. We have an enormous junk pile that I'm sure could supply enough scrap pieces. I'll even try to make it look pretty...

Many thanks for the offer, JJ, but I think buying a differently designed drill press or, definitely, the extension chuck might be cheaper than shipping bits both ways over the Pond in any decent time scale!

I did a general Google search on "carbide tipped hacksaw blades gloucester" and have found we have a branch of "Tool Station" in an industrial estate way over on the other side of town that I did not know about, but they only do gritted blades for ceramic/stone cutting.  :(
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

#331


Close to what I need!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

#332
Sorting out some camera stuff I came accross a front mounting extra-wide angle lense I had forgotten about.



The camera focussed on one of the trusses about half way across and the shadow at the bottom front is partly the lens shadow with the built in flash.

As I said, space is at a bit of a premium and you soon learn where to duck! It was hot up there so I did not play for long.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on August 02, 2018, 06:24:43 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on August 02, 2018, 05:31:23 AM
Work oUT the dimensions of the part you need and I'll see if I can knock something together for you once my arm starts working properly again. We have an enormous junk pile that I'm sure could supply enough scrap pieces. I'll even try to make it look pretty...

Many thanks for the offer, JJ, but I think buying a differently designed drill press or, definitely, the extension chuck might be cheaper than shipping bits both ways over the Pond in any decent time scale!

I did a general Google search on "carbide tipped hacksaw blades gloucester" and have found we have a branch of "Tool Station" in an industrial estate way over on the other side of town that I did not know about, but they only do gritted blades for ceramic/stone cutting.  :(

Well, my offer stands if you change your mind. It'd be a fun project and a good workout for my new welder.

Try the grit blade. I know I've used them in the past to cut steel. Just can't remember exactly what it was. Kind of like using masonry line to cut plastic pipe.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on August 02, 2018, 11:28:25 AM
Sorting out some camera stuff I came accross a front mounting extra-wide angle lense I had forgotten about.



The camera focussed on one of the trusses about half way across and the shadow at the bottom front is partly the lens shadow with the built in flash.

As I said, space is at a bit of a premium and you soon learn where to duck! It was hot up there so I did not play for long.

That's quite clear. It looks like an angle of about 180°. That will be useful for making light probes to use in IBL (image-based lighting) rendering. Does it fit in front of your normal lens?
"Who is to say that pleasure is useless?"
― Charles Eames

Dave

They claim it is 180, the round stool top on the left would have been about a foot in front of the lens. There was slso a UV, a CPL and an adaptor between the two lenses and the only current lens I could mount it on was the 18-140mm job, need a new filter adaptor for new 18-55mm.

And, yes, it does mount via the filter thread! It is not a high quality item. But I think the comparison info is wrong, it clains it is a bayonet fit with a 35mm focal length and 30x zoom! Though the spec looks about right.

Wondering about the price, I paid £30 for mine 6 years ago. Too many things wrong about this advert.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0017W70JE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on August 02, 2018, 03:21:13 PM
They claim it is 180, the round stool top on the left would have been about a foot in front of the lens. There was slso a UV, a CPL and an adaptor between the two lenses and the only current lens I could mount it on was the 18-140mm job, need a new filter adaptor for new 18-55mm.

And, yes, it does mount via the filter thread! It is not a high quality item. But I think the comparison info is wrong, it clains it is a bayonet fit with a 35mm focal length and 30x zoom! Though the spec looks about right.

Wondering about the price, I paid £30 for mine 6 years ago. Too many things wrong about this advert.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0017W70JE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks. For IBL, the quality is not that important, so a bit of blurriness doesn't matter.
"Who is to say that pleasure is useless?"
― Charles Eames

Dave

#337
After my mention if something to hold, say, flower stems steady on the photo tips etc thread I got to thinking further . . .

Initial stages of my "flower stem holder":

Piece of 1.5mm plastic coated fencing wire bent triple and twisted. Three pieces of silicon rubber aquarium air pump tube. 6 heat shrink tubes, three at each end to give triple thickness. Two right angle plastic cabinet corner blocks, centre hole drilled and taper reamed to be a push fit for the ends of the wires. 1mm hole, very carefully, drilled through blocks and wires to accept a 2mm nail as a fixing pin.

Then I got too sweaty, even with the fan on, up there to go further. Not bad less than an hour's thinking and doing even if I do blow my own trumpet!

Flexible enough. Now needs a plate or bracket to go under the camera and some way to hold the peg, or whatever, at the other end.



For some reason the image does not seem to arrive, I sent it twice to Imgur, got the links but neither of them seem to work! And, yes, double checked the .jpg.

Hmm was it because I said no to them holding all my data I wonder? All the previous links seem to still be working.

Try another image from Imgur:



Well, that is strange!



First the other image uploaded, then it disappeared. Photo taken with phone (other was with tablet) also not showing. Maybe I can still store but not share? Bummer.


Sorry 'bout this folks! Here is a copy/paste link fom another post


Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave



There, via Phitobucket and a lot of hassle 'cos I ain't paying!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Youtuber demonstrating good practice for getting a workshop injury. He has been wearing those glives whilst he cuts steel with an angle grinder and welds it - but, has he changed his footwear?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

I have just spent an hour converting a 3/8 Whitworth full nut into an M10 half nut, including reducing the a/f size - using a grindstone then a drill in a stand and a file - all because I lost one and can't buy any in quantities less than 200. And I have no M10 nuts either. But will now buy a few at an inflated price via Amazon.

But, it now fits perfectly in its recess and does its job. I always thought the larger camera mount thread was 3/8 W but it seems it us now 3/8 16 UNC.

Wish I still had access to a proper mill and proper lathe . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

This Nikon 50mm f1.4 was the first lens I bought and I still have it. It is non-AI, so not mountable on my Nikon D600. I would like to use it, because it is very fast and built like a tank (no plastic, all metal construction).



I believe they can be converted, so I'm considering it as a DIY project, following some instructions on the internet.

Removing the little screws to enable the back ring to be removed for milling is going to be my first hurdle.



The screws are supposed to be secured with some kind of Loctite compound, which is reportedly not too difficult to breach, but I wish I had better workshop skills. I would appreciate some advice from you guys.
"Who is to say that pleasure is useless?"
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

So long as it's not one of the "red" variants of locktite you should be fine with a quality driver. Of red you will want to use some heat to soften the compound before attempting and it can take a lot of heat. A small impact driver may help as well if you think the lens can stand up to some gentle tapping. What type of screws are they? I can't make it out from the photo.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on August 11, 2018, 01:18:37 PM
So long as it's not one of the "red" variants of locktite you should be fine with a quality driver. Of red you will want to use some heat to soften the compound before attempting and it can take a lot of heat. A small impact driver may help as well if you think the lens can stand up to some gentle tapping. What type of screws are they? I can't make it out from the photo.

They are this type.


One guy recommends heating the lens at 55°C for 0.5 hours. Lenses are designed withstand this. Another says to heat the screw head with a soldering iron.
"Who is to say that pleasure is useless?"
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

A soldering iron would probably work well, especially if the screws are aluminum though I can't say whether they are or not. You will want a hollow ground driver for those screws that's as tight a fit as possible. If you can find a spec from Nikon or measure the slot yourself you'd be miles ahead.

PB Swiss makes excellent slotted drivers if they are available in South Africa. They are expensive but the cost would, I think, pale in comparison to that of your lens. Gedore might be more readily available in your area but I don't know whether they offer hollow ground drivers or not.

Another possibility is to take your lens to a gunsmith. They tens to have a wide selection of hollow ground drivers due to their work and might be able to help you. At least around here they would.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz