News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

That was interesting. I'd love that saw. It's so quiet.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Dead simple but effective candle holder. 8" x 3" x 1" piece of wood, 1 hole for hinge, length of dowel as hinge pin, washers to separate pieces, 6 holes for candles and 10 cuts on the band saw. Plus sanding and finish to suit.

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

That looks so professional, Tank. Did you design it?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 20, 2020, 10:25:52 AM

No. I got a book of weekend woodwork projects and that was in it :)

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on November 20, 2020, 11:57:45 AM

I thought it was the latest product of your workshop skills!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 20, 2020, 12:33:39 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 20, 2020, 11:57:45 AM

I thought it was the latest product of your workshop skills!

Well I do have two new toys that facilitated their production :)

hermes2015

Sorry, I misunderstood: so you actually did make the candle holder, but it wasn't your own design. I am so slow sometimes (or usually, you must be thinking). Very nice new toys.
― Charles Eames

Tank

Another little project. A candle nook. It has a space for a box of matches. Can I find a box of matches to fit it? Can I f**k! Apparently all matches are long to light BBQs now and smokers use lighters.

:geezer!:

I had an old vacuum cleaner. I bought a 30L polypropylene barrel and a cyclone unit. 99% of the dust and shavings go into the barrel and the tiny fraction left gets filtered out. Cost about a third of what an assembled dust extraction unit would have. Works very well.

billy rubin

the duct tape adds a professional touch.

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on November 20, 2020, 09:02:05 PM
the duct tape adds a professional touch.

Of course it adds an air of practical engineering skill :rofl:

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on November 20, 2020, 06:51:16 PM
Another little project. A candle nook. It has a space for a box of matches. Can I find a box of matches to fit it? Can I f**k! Apparently all matches are long to light BBQs now and smokers use lighters.

Really?

These don't seem too long,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BOXS-SAFETY-MATCHES-BRAND-Boxes/dp/B0797TWSF3/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Safety+Matches&qid=1605918649&sr=8-1

and they've got a pic of a ship on them.

Is this merely a disingenuous attempt to justify the purchase of a Burleigh & Stronginthearm match shortening saw?

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

hermes2015

Quote from: Bad Penny II on November 21, 2020, 12:39:03 AM
Is this merely a disingenuous attempt to justify the purchase of a Burleigh & Stronginthearm match shortening saw?

It sounds like a good enough reason to me. The name Burleigh & Stronginthearm makes me want to buy one as well.
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: Tank on November 20, 2020, 06:51:16 PM

Really?

These don't seem too long,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BOXS-SAFETY-MATCHES-BRAND-Boxes/dp/B0797TWSF3/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Safety+Matches&qid=1605918649&sr=8-1

and they've got a pic of a ship on them.

I'm trying to stop spending with Amazon! And I already have a Burleigh & Stronginthearm match shortening saw! It does have other uses :)

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 21, 2020, 03:23:46 AM

It sounds like a good enough reason to me. The name Burleigh & Stronginthearm makes me want to buy one as well.

That's Discworld marketing for you.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on November 21, 2020, 07:52:40 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on November 21, 2020, 03:23:46 AM

That's Discworld marketing for you.

Never read any of it, so thanks for the enlightenment.
― Charles Eames