News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 05, 2020, 11:55:38 AM
Quote from: Tank on August 05, 2020, 08:33:30 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on August 05, 2020, 03:56:26 AM
That will be useful, Tank. Don't you find the days are too short after retirement?

Yes! It's daft that I don't have enough hours in the day to do nothing!   ;D

Well, you probably deserve a good rest much more than I do. I must be honest and say I was never the hardest-working person.

Well neither was I :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on August 05, 2020, 08:35:32 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on August 05, 2020, 04:23:57 AM
I've gotten to be quite the slacker finally, mostly because the arthritis in my feet cuts into my work day. I talked to my family doctor yesterday and it appears that elective surgery may be back in operation (so to speak) and I may be able to get my left foot worked on again, hopefully with better effect. I am working on putting white PVC lattice on top of the pergola in our back yard. It makes interesting grid patterns on the wood. I'll take a picture tomorrow, aimed towards the sky. I can take about an hour on my feet and then have to take a break. My butt is starting to hurt from all the sitting. Can't sit or stand for extended periods. :( I guess it's time to go lie down and go to sleep.  ;D

You'll have to buy a blow up bed to take with you to lay down on whenever you need to :grin:

:D With an inflatable girl friend? I'm in!

Tank

My latest useful gadget.

It's a sanding sheet holder. The central piece is 21 x 30 cm and 3/4" thick plywood. The holding rails are 2 x 30 cm from the same plywood. The base is sized to fit the clamps and ended up 41 x 34 cm of 1/2" plywood. This holds a single sheet of abrasive perfectly flat. My previous attempt held the paper by the short edges but this caused a problem. If the abrasive was flat it was fine. But if the abrasive curled it did so along the long axis. This meant it didn't lay flat. This meant that the edges of the piece of wood were slightly rounded.

I find it a very useful piece of kit.

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Recusant

Add a piece of glass or acrylic, and in combination with a honing guide you've got a sharpening station there as well. With good quality sandpaper of the proper grit, you'll get satisfactory results, I think.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

Tank a useful alternative to laying an abrasive sheet flat is "spraymount".  That is a contact adhesive in a spray can, primarily intended for photo mounts or other mounts that are easily removable.  3M is one of the brands that you can find in a photo supply shop.   This method assures that the abrasive is uniformly  as flat as the surface that you  have mounted on.  In fact there are situations when you want a curved surface for your abrasive, or a tiny patch of abrasive....and so on.

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on August 22, 2020, 05:39:11 AM
Tank a useful alternative to laying an abrasive sheet flat is "spraymount".  That is a contact adhesive in a spray can, primarily intended for photo mounts or other mounts that are easily removable.  3M is one of the brands that you can find in a photo supply shop.   This method assures that the abrasive is uniformly  as flat as the surface that you  have mounted on.  In fact there are situations when you want a curved surface for your abrasive, or a tiny patch of abrasive....and so on.

Many years ago I used to have to manually paginate a catalogue. This consisted of cutting up rolls of copy and using spray mount to stick it to templates. We used gallons of it! LOL

I'm on a wood working page on Facebook and a chap there does exactly what you suggested :)

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on August 22, 2020, 12:40:51 AM
Add a piece of glass or acrylic, and in combination with a honing guide you've got a sharpening station there as well. With good quality sandpaper of the proper grit, you'll get satisfactory results, I think.

I have some glass that I might be able to use. Have you seen the price of acrylic recently? With all the protective shields being built its just insanely expensive. I still have the previous version and by circumstance it has a formica/melamine surface so I'll have a go at repurposing that. :)

Icarus

Not to put too fine a point on it, but ordinary glass is not really flat.  There are degrees of flatness of course and glass plate is entirely adequate for wood working uses.

When I was in the manufacturing business we made measuring instruments.  Our tension measuring instruments needed a flat surface to "zero set" the tool.  We learned that glass is not flat in an incident with one of our Brit buyers.  He communicated with me to reveal that his tension meters could not be reliably zero set.   OH SHIT!!!!  Was there something wrong with all ten meters that he had just bought? It turned out that the glass plates furnished with the meters was all wavy.  The human eye could not detect that waviness but the meter could easily do so.    We sent the customer some new test plates made of granite tile sections whose flatness had been verified.

Dark Lightning

Indeed. We used granite surface plates to assemble Flight hardware (goes into space) because the mounting surface has to be dead flat when mounted to the equipment panel. Any kind of stress on a component has to be carefully taken out, because they'll get broken with all the stress and vibration from the launch. Harnesses and cables have to be mounted so that the connectors are all neutral to loading as well, and have enough spots tied down that they won't whip.

Tank

Well the chess set is finished. A box for the chessmen. The floating shelf in the box is the same dimensions as the bottom so the front panel closes against it. Brass rod hinges at the front and conventional hinges at the back. The chessmen are made from oak and sapele as is the board and box. Finished with linseed oil.

xSilverPhinx

That's really cool, Tank! I especially like the chess pieces ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Randy

I like the chessboard and the pieces. Excellent job!
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Dark Lightning

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on September 01, 2020, 09:02:30 PM
Nice, minimalist design!

Well I don't have a lathe so it had to be square. I found the design on Youtube.

hermes2015

That falls into the heirloom category. You should engrave the date of completion and your name on the bottom of the board.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames