News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 26, 2021, 03:52:05 PM
There should be a blurb in the manual for minimum length, width and thickness. I've never run anything shorter than 2 feet long on mine, for example.

What is the reasoning behind the minimum length? Simply to keep fingers away from the blades?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

That's my take on it. I'm chicken about my fingers, so I take as much care as I can. When I wanted a better table saw, buying a SawStop with the blade brake was an easy sell to my wife.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 26, 2021, 07:55:04 PM
That's my take on it. I'm chicken about my fingers, so I take as much care as I can. When I wanted a better table saw, buying a SawStop with the blade brake was an easy sell to my wife.

I was told to expect delivery 17th Feb. Apparently they have tracked one down and it arrives tomorrow. Obviously I'll be very, very careful!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dark Lightning

Right. Don't end up like this guy- he's missing fingers. :rockin':

;D

billy rubin

do you know what a grain auger is?

its an achimedes screw, a tube with an internal double helix that lifts rain from a floor cistern or pit to a height where it can be diverted into diffenent silos for storage ad later mixing.

my choctaw uncle O.B. (nobody was really sure what his name started out as) told me once abpout a man who got his arm caughtin a grain augur and sucked in

wasn't as bad as it could have been because they got it turned off before it pulled his arm off and they got what was eft of hit out by turning the augur backwards und unscrewing him from the machine.

mu uncle said that the man never broke eye contact with him while they unscrewed his arm from the tube.

later, everybody else in different positions all explained that he never broke eye contact with them either

very intense for all parties, clearly

grain is dangerous stuff.

i knew a man who watched his father die in a silo when he was a boy. they were on top of the grain and somebody opened the chute way down below. it immediately sucked them in, and the man's father took him and threw him up onto a catwalk jsut before being sucked under the grain to his death.

no w why am i talking about this stuff

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

Because machinery doesn't have a shit to give when you get caught in it. I met a guy in Idaho in the mid-'70s who went to the farm early (he was a hired hand) to get busy with the harvest. He was feeding some vegetation into a machine, and some wasn't going in. So, he reached up to push it in and his fingers got caught in the grinding part. He was in an awkward position, over center, and had no place to grab to stop the action. He was there some time like 90 minutes before someone else showed up and was able to help him. I don't recall how much he was missing off his hand, and I don't remember the product name that was being ground, it being 35+ years ago. I worked as a mechanic for many years, solo. There are several instances where I was EXTREMELY fortunate to not have serious injury. Though I will say that I've had close calls when other people, not qualified, came close to hurting or killing me, or causing millions of dollars worth of damage to valuable hardware.

Icarus

To continue the gory tales about machinery that pays no mind, a couple years back a local tree trimmer person lost his life in a "chipper".  A chipper is a powerful machine that grinds tree limbs and such into ....well chips.   It grinds flesh and bone into chips just as readily.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on January 27, 2021, 03:35:35 AM
To continue the gory tales about machinery that pays no mind, a couple years back a local tree trimmer person lost his life in a "chipper".  A chipper is a powerful machine that grinds tree limbs and such into ....well chips.   It grinds flesh and bone into chips just as readily.

You want gore? Our neighbors across the street where we used to live went into a national forest (permitted, of course) to harvest firewood. They discovered a guy who had put his chainsaw above his head to chop some limbs. It flipped back and basically cut his head in half, through the center.  :panic: One uses power tools at one's own peril.

Tank

Thanks guys. I think I'll send it back unopened!  ;D

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 27, 2021, 03:55:35 AM
Quote from: Icarus on January 27, 2021, 03:35:35 AM

You want gore? Our neighbors across the street where we used to live went into a national forest (permitted, of course) to harvest firewood. They discovered a guy who had put his chainsaw above his head to chop some limbs. It flipped back and basically cut his head in half, through the center.  :panic: One uses power tools at one's own peril.

Fargo?

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on January 27, 2021, 07:09:48 AM

Don't be a chicken. Just be alert (and sober) when you use it.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 27, 2021, 09:27:57 AM
Quote from: Tank on January 27, 2021, 07:09:48 AM

Don't be a chicken. Just be alert (and sober) when you use it.

Well it arrived. Going to sort out the dust extraction. Then use it as a thicknesser first to true up my existing pieces of wood.

Dark Lightning

Nice! My only recommendation is to be careful, but you already know that.

Tank

Sorted the dust extraction. Which was good as it produces a lot of chippings. I spent a few hours truing up 40 to 50 pieces of wood that were trapezoidal. Very impressed how useful it has turned out to be. Used in the thicknesser mode it's very safe. I haven't used it to plane wood yet. 

Dark Lightning

Having square lumber makes it a lot more fun to build things. Do you have a cyclone separator yet? You can make one, just look up Oneida "Dust Deputy" for an example. I have a cart with the separator installed above the shop vacuum. Now that you're getting into it, I'll tell you now that almost every dust collection port is a different size for each company. It gets annoying to rig adapters.