News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Wow, you're really improving quickly! Nice box, and I like the idea of constellations.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on July 03, 2020, 09:18:49 PM
Wow, you're really improving quickly! Nice box, and I like the idea of constellations.

I was thinking of how to get some practice with brass. If I did regular patterns I'd be making a rod for my own back in terms of layout. With the constellations if they are a little bit inaccurate you won't notice :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Randy

That's a nice looking box, Tank. :)
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

i thought they were dominoes of some sort until i saw orion. then i read your text

in america the plough is called the big dipper

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

hermes2015

That's good an attractive little box. I like those markings on the lid; I assume they are natural.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Insomnia. I'm usually comatose at this hour. Anyway, Icarus, what you see in the lid of that box are the signatory medullary rays and flakes of quarter-sawn white oak. I love that wood for that feature.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on July 03, 2020, 10:12:58 PM
i thought they were dominoes of some sort until i saw orion. then i read your text

in america the plough is called the big dipper

And did you notice something about it?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 04, 2020, 04:27:30 AM
That's good an attractive little box. I like those markings on the lid; I assume they are natural.

Yes. The top and bottom are made from strips cut from a plank and the glued edge on to each other.

Tank

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on July 04, 2020, 06:44:41 AM
Insomnia. I'm usually comatose at this hour. Anyway, Icarus, what you see in the lid of that box are the signatory medullary rays and flakes of quarter-sawn white oak. I love that wood for that feature.

It adds a nice texture to the finish.

Tank

Practice piece.

As you may recall I cut the tiles of a chess board and managed to cut the oak ones too big. So I chucked those in my waste wood bin and made some new smaller ones. Well I used 16 of the original large oak pieces to make a 4x4 square to practice getting things square. Well I want to edge my chess board so I edged the 4x4 with some of the mahogany I got. I also want to put a brass inlaid edge around the chess board as well. Which requires routing a rebate for it to fit. This is the finished result.

Dark Lightning

Very nice! How did you miter the brass?

billy rubin

can you design a minimalist chess game with that?

say, a king, a knight, a bishop, a pawn . . . with scaled-down capabilities?

and are you going to design chessmen for it?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on July 06, 2020, 06:50:21 PM
Very nice! How did you miter the brass?

A manual mitre saw. Not expensive. A 24tpi blade for non ferrous metals. You can see it in the middle of this picture.

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on July 06, 2020, 09:03:59 PM
can you design a minimalist chess game with that?

say, a king, a knight, a bishop, a pawn . . . with scaled-down capabilities?

and are you going to design chessmen for it?

It would be fun to try! As I said this is just learning how things work. I'm now trying to find a wood lathe small enough to make chess pieces!