News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 14, 2019, 07:16:17 AM
This is a 900mm tall maquette of a sculpture I intend to execute in metal. It started out as a torus that was then deformed and cut into slices to get this final shape.

Wow! That's really neat! I should be checking this thread more often.

jumbojak

I really love Chris' work. This was amazing.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on February 10, 2019, 01:48:39 PM
I really love Chris' work. This was amazing.

That is very satisfying to watch. This guy's skill is marvellous.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I like the fact that he figures out a simple way to do something with rudimentary tooling. If you gave a fabricator that drawing today they'd likely claim you need a cnc to cut it accurately. I mean, Jesus, the man makes his own steel to prove that it could be done!

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on February 11, 2019, 02:55:02 AM
I like the fact that he figures out a simple way to do something with rudimentary tooling. If you gave a fabricator that drawing today they'd likely claim you need a cnc to cut it accurately. I mean, Jesus, the man makes his own steel to prove that it could be done!

There are two things I've always wanted to try: blacksmithing and lathe-working. I love watching skilled people fabricate metal objects. Have you had any experience in those crafts?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Blacksmithing, yes though I'm not very good. It's much, much more difficult than a skilled hammer swinger makes it look. I have used a lathe before and would like very much to have one. Space and power constrain what I could reasonably purchase at the moment though. I wouldn't have much use for a hobby lathe, and even a "small" tool room lathe is a big, thirsty machine. I feel like it would get a lot of use though.

jumbojak

Here's a truly grear modern blacksmith named Glenn Moon from Australia. He's an industrial smith and makes large tooling for heavy industry. Typically he uses a 1000 ton forge press but he can make difficult tasks look easy with a hammer.

He told me that doing this is easy. His exact words were, "ANYBODY CAN DO IT!!!" But, an hour into the excercise, I gave up. He can work magic, it seems. 

Dark Lightning

That Scorper and Trammel video was really neat! I have both wood- and (a tiny) metal- turning lathes. Haven't made anything with them lately, as I've been fixing things around the property and learning wood carving since I retired. I want to make some chisels for a wood carving project, but haven't gotten to it. That's nothing to do with the lathes, though.

Recusant

An entertaining (to me, at least) series on restoring Matchbox models/toys. The videographer always seems to add a bit of slapstick or light comedy to his restoration videos, which I appreciate.  :)

This is one of his more basic restorations.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

hermes2015

Quote from: Recusant on March 01, 2019, 10:52:51 PM
An entertaining (to me, at least) series on restoring Matchbox models/toys. The videographer always seems to add a bit of slapstick or light comedy to his restoration videos, which I appreciate.  :)

This is one of his more basic restorations.

Thanks, Recusant. That was an interesting watch. I liked how he explained his mind changes and thought processes during the job. My only suggestion would have been to use a micro jewellers torch for the soldering job. An electronics soldering iron is just not hot enough on a big heat sink like the body of the truck.
― Charles Eames

Davin

Replaced the see through row of my wall and put up an extra row because a bunch of people walk through the alley.

I got better at is as I went, so the top row is better, but I'm going to leave it as it is.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tank

Looks like a lovely place to sit in the summer.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Davin

It's not bad until it gets over 110ºf.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on April 15, 2019, 04:20:30 PM
Replaced the see through row of my wall and put up an extra row because a bunch of people walk through the alley.

I got better at is as I went, so the top row is better, but I'm going to leave it as it is.
Very nice.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Thank you, it was a lot of work.