Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Dave on July 29, 2018, 08:37:58 AM
Quote from: Tank on July 29, 2018, 08:24:21 AM
That's a shame. You could always do one just for HAF.

I am lucky in that public speaking has never bothered me at all, I am extrovert in that respect. But I am lousy talking to camera; hesitant, forget things, need hours of rehearsals, retakes and editing. Would have to set up the camera behind the eye of a picture of an attractive woman or something!

Actually someone behind the camera, a person to talk to, might help.

Would there be room in your loft?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on July 29, 2018, 09:08:15 AM

I am lucky in that public speaking has never bothered me at all, I am extrovert in that respect. But I am lousy talking to camera; hesitant, forget things, need hours of rehearsals, retakes and editing. Would have to set up the camera behind the eye of a picture of an attractive woman or something!

Well, everything needed would be in the correct place to hand and I would not have to move from my side of the bench. With the upper flap closing off the loft hatch (the flap can be stood on) and the 18mm lens on the Nikon I reckon I could just about get the framing right! That overall picture was taken with my Lumix at 25mm, its widest angle, standing as close to the open hatch as I dared. There would be closer shots needed of course. I have the app to control the Lumix, including zoom, remotely with my smartphone but, unfortunately, the Nikon D5300 does not have NFC. The Lumix set about 6 feet high (just enough height at the roof apex) (need a rig set up clamped to the rafters for that) might give the right angle for all shots.

This kind of thing takes quite a lot of thought and production don't it!?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Dave on July 29, 2018, 09:39:47 AM

Well, everything needed would be in the correct place to hand and I would not have to move from my side of the bench. With the upper flap closing off the loft hatch (the flap can be stood on) and the 18mm lens on the Nikon I reckon I could just about get the framing right! That overall picture was taken with my Lumix at 25mm, its widest angle, standing as close to the open hatch as I dared. There would be closer shots needed of course. I have the app to control the Lumix, including zoom, remotely with my smartphone but, unfortunately, the Nikon D5300 does not have NFC. The Lumix set about 6 feet high (just enough height at the roof apex) (need a rig set up clamped to the rafters for that) might give the right angle for all shots.

What's your post code?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dave

Quote from: Tank on July 29, 2018, 10:30:51 AM
Quote from: Dave on July 29, 2018, 09:39:47 AM

What's your post code?

Why is that relevant?

Tank

I was thinking of offering my services as a camera operator. You can PM it to me if you like. :D

Dave

Quote from: Tank on July 29, 2018, 11:17:12 AM
I was thinking of offering my services as a camera operator. You can PM it to me if you like. :D

Hmm, thanks for the offer, Tank, but I am sufficiently "uncomfortable" with the idea that I fear I must turn it down. Seems stupid to be camera shy but not worrying about standing on a stage in front of an audience! Was wondering about a Power Point type show once.

Anyway, Gloucester is a fair trip!

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on July 29, 2018, 08:05:12 AM
This awful picture (cropped from one taken with my phone) shows the Wolfcraft hand drill jig I bought decades ago and which has been a boon. It has a "V" groove inside and outside for drilling small pipes and a depth stop on one leg.

(I knew someone would ask!  :grin:

I should get one of those.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

^

Yeah, and I have discovered I can make a small wood turning lathe out of it for some of the afore mentioned accessories for my project. Pictures tomorrow.

It is a useful tool if you need pretty right angled holes in walls etc as well. Used it to install rods for a "bracketless" shelf in one place. Other end of rods went into the edge of the shelf.

Tank

Quote from: Dave on July 29, 2018, 11:26:29 AM

Hmm, thanks for the offer, Tank, but I am sufficiently "uncomfortable" with the idea that I fear I must turn it down. Seems stupid to be camera shy but not worrying about standing on a stage in front of an audience! Was wondering about a Power Point type show once.

Well if you change your mind you know where I am :D

Dave

Quote from: Tank on July 29, 2018, 06:33:28 PM
Quote from: Dave on July 29, 2018, 11:26:29 AM

Well if you change your mind you know where I am :D

Thanks, Tank.

Icarus

I have one of those drilling fixtures floating around somewhere in my garage.  It was sold many many moons ago by Sears and Roebuck stores.  It is a useful tool for a number of jobs.

Dave

Here is my sort of wood lathe. Needs a longer stud to get the work level with the columns. Can't do much with sharp tools but, using a file and abrasive paper I now have a set of discs all the same size and smooth. Can't make them a precise size so each set will be colour coded or something.

They were cut initially using a hole saw,

Icarus

Dave

Well, the best laid plans etc.

After three days adrying the last coat of varnish on my project is still tacky - OK, that varnish is 10 years old, though it has been krpt under one of the kitchen cabinets.

Too tacky to sand off and I don't want to use heat (and my heat gun seems to be defunct anyway) or nasty chemicals. Last resort is a craftknife type blade held at 90 to the surface and drawn back and forth as a scraper. That works, but not in the current heat in the attic!

When I was in the RAF, in our 6 month version of "boot camp," we had to, very gently, scrape the broom and polisher handles every week to clean them, using old fashioned razor blades. Health and safety? WTF is that!? No lines must be seen and as little wood as possible removed! I am a well practiced scraper . . . You can get an excellent finish this way.

Dave

Best laid plans go awry  :(

Further into the projrct - Dave's mini-mill. Never going to be a precision instrument but... The pitch of the holes was partly chosen for this idea. Setting up for a parallel run will take a little care and it is only for wood and plastics... well, maybe thin aluminium.

But, I did not take the design of the drill press into account enough, in the circled area the corner of the drill slide hits the top of the table when the handle is pressed down, so (at the moment) I cannot use the full width of the table. Maybe using the drill rather than the router will get the bit lower, or can I find/modify a 6mm chuck with a 6mm stem I wonder? Should really be a collet chuck.

Of more success is the foot switch. Gives both hands free for holding/aligning things on the drill press, router etc by allowing power on/off without letting go of the job to hit the switch.