Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on March 22, 2018, 05:23:05 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on March 22, 2018, 04:06:37 AM
Spent the evening sharpening chisels and cleaning up an old yankee screwdriver. Going to have a go at some small dovetail boxes here soon. A few saws need sharpening though.

Goodness, I have not taiked a dove since my school dsys - then it was only a single joint for practice. I am with Hermes, screw it, glue it!

I do keep my chisels good and shsrp though, have had a few locks to fit and have done the odd halving joint. I really love seeing excellent joinery though, it can be an artform.

I need some more tedium in my life.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

JJ i presume that you have a Japanese water stone and a good fixture to hold the sharpening angle with some degree of precision. A truly sharp plane iron or chisel is a delight to work with.  A not so sharp one is not fun to use.

You can use very fine grit wet-or-dry sandpaper as a reasonable substitute for the water stone. Not as good, but the results are OK.

One of the quickie sharpening tools that should be in every workshop is a smooth stick, like a paint stirring paddle, that has 400 to 600 wet-or- dry on one side and on the other side a strip of leather....flesh side out.  The leather to be oiled and infused with fine valve grinding compound.   A most useful and effective tool.  Cheap to make too.

The paint paddle is useful to tune up knife blades too.

jumbojak

No water stones here. No jigs either. I have an ancient Carborundum stone in medium and very fine grits. The polish it produces is impressive for a crude implement. I also have a piece of Naugahyde that I've charged with green polishing compound. Its not leather but you work with what you got.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 22, 2018, 04:37:08 AM
Spent the evening sharpening chisels and cleaning up an old yankee screwdriver. Going to have a go at some small dovetail boxes here soon. A few saws need sharpening though.

I wouldn't even dream of attempting dovetails. I am strictly a glue and screw woodworker.
That was not an image I wanted!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on March 23, 2018, 07:09:40 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on March 22, 2018, 04:37:08 AM

I wouldn't even dream of attempting dovetails. I am strictly a glue and screw woodworker.
That was not an image I wanted!

I stick to my lovers through thick and thin.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

https://youtu.be/qP1AmDRhoas

I really like this guy. Hammering in the screws never occurred to me.

jumbojak

Tank

If you have a YouTube video you want to post click the YouTube button and drop the URL between the tags like this:

[youtube]Youtube URL in Here[/youtube]
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dave

Quote from: Tank on March 27, 2018, 03:14:34 PM
If you have a YouTube video you want to post click the YouTube button and drop the URL between the tags like this:

Is this a change, Tank? Seemed to work just dtopping the link without tags. I seem to remember we had to use the tags then were told they were not necessary.

Signed
Confused of Gloucester

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on March 27, 2018, 03:00:55 PM

What, you have never started a screw with a hammer? Actually I use a plastic faced mallet. In thiscoiuntry the hammer is often known as a "Birmingham screwdriver"!

Employed many of thosvrechniques but it takes a combination of hsving a good teacher, having an out of the box mind and, usually, lots of practice. My father used to shake his head at my methods of doing woodwork but they mostly did the job perfectly well. I learned about jigs and templates years ago and saved lots of time.

I also learned how to turn some small mistakes into desirable features!

Added later:

And having power tools is a big part of saving kabour and time. Cutting all that wood with a hand saw! Screwing all those screws by hand? Betcha he would be knackered and take two days or more without electricity.

Tank

Quote from: Dave on March 27, 2018, 04:27:51 PM

Is this a change, Tank? Seemed to work just dtopping the link without tags. I seem to remember we had to use the tags then were told they were not necessary.

Signed
Confused of Gloucester
You can also just drop the link in to a post.

jumbojak

When I use the youtube tags this happens:

Versus this with the link tags:

The urls are identical. Didn't know that a bare link would display as anything other than text though. I'll do that in the future.

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on March 27, 2018, 04:51:14 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on March 27, 2018, 03:00:55 PM

What, you have never started a screw with a hammer? Actually I use a plastic faced mallet. In thiscoiuntry the hammer is often known as a "Birmingham screwdriver"!

Employed many of thosvrechniques but it takes a combination of hsving a good teacher, having an out of the box mind and, usually, lots of practice. My father used to shake his head at my methods of doing woodwork but they mostly did the job perfectly well. I learned about jigs and templates years ago and saved lots of time.

I also learned how to turn some small mistakes into desirable features!

Added later:

And having power tools is a big part of saving kabour and time. Cutting all that wood with a hand saw! Screwing all those screws by hand? Betcha he would be knackered and take two days or more without electricity.

Indeed I have not. Of course, I haven't spent much time on construction sites so my knowledge in that department is rather limited.

I do have some excellent news though. About a month ago I bought a new scan tool in anticipation of a job needing to read airbag faults. I was rather disappointed in it at first as the functionality for standard emissions diagnostics is rather limited. The refresh rate is slow and I still haven't figured out how to read fuel trims on the second bank of an engine...

But for antilock brakes and airbags it works very well! I hooked up, started entering the information and it was able to tell exactly the model and submodel without a lot of guesswork. The vin decoder actually worked. It connected to the airbag module very quickly and pulled all the information, even having accurate manufacturer specific definitions for the trouble codes.

Now I just have to fix the damn thing. If it's not just a wiring or connector issue I'll have to hunt through a few junkyards to find a replacement seat from a car that wasn't wrecked. I still don't have the capability to replace the bladder sensor and reprogram the system, but I'm getting there. :)