Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on January 15, 2018, 03:12:26 PM
Quote from: OldGit on January 15, 2018, 09:45:29 AM
You can quickly check the HT by grasping a bared bit of lead. :)

Kind of like tossing a charged capacitor at someone...

Had that done to me in training! Quickly learned to dance sideways, hands behind back or above the head, after that...

The other trick was to stand on two rubber mats then charge yourelf up to 25kV with an EHT generator, dropping the probe before the trick.  You know there is going to be a shock but the other guy does not!  Not actually much worse than a good electrostatic shock, an open palm slap spreads the current.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

I narrowly avoided a really bad bench grinder accident today. Was knocking the rust from the iron and chip breader to a Stanley No. 4 hand plane sith the wire wheel and the grinder grabbed so hard that it reversed the grinder for a few seconds. It switched directions again so I kept on working. When I turned the machine off there was a terrible rattling from the stone on the other side.

Turns out... the reversal loosened the arbor nut holding the stone in place and had very nearly rattled itself off. I checked the stone for ring and assembled everything again but I'm thinking about putting some thread locker, just in case. If that stone had knocked around any more and exploded I'd probably be in the hospital right now.

In positive news the plane is coming along rather nicely. I still need to clean up some of the hardware and flatten the sole but it should work wonderfully once I'm done.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Ooh, nasty! Yeah, reversing an angle grinder is not recommrndade. I know it does not apply to angle gtinders but have lost count of how msny times I have explsined to prople why dome things have left hsnd tgresds. In one case one each of left and right at opposite ends of a spindle.

Icarus

Bench grinders can be wicked and dangerous as you are well aware JJ.  I once blew up a greenstone wheel that I was attempting to true up with a diamond dresser.  Not like I had never done that before.  I just goofed by raising the diamond tip above center.  The green stone disintigrated and a sizable piece hit me in the head, knocked me flat on my ass, broke my glasses, caused some blood, scared hell out of me. I wont be doing that again.

Stay safe JJ.  Those damned machines are evil things that have no respect for humans.

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on February 04, 2018, 06:33:27 PM
Ooh, nasty! Yeah, reversing an angle grinder is not recommrndade. I know it does not apply to angle gtinders but have lost count of how msny times I have explsined to prople why dome things have left hsnd tgresds. In one case one each of left and right at opposite ends of a spindle.

What suprised me  was the fact that the side that backed off was left hand thread. Thinking more about  the situation it seems that Black and Decker screwed up which side was which.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Quote from: Icarus on February 05, 2018, 12:17:28 AM
Bench grinders can be wicked and dangerous as you are well aware JJ.  I once blew up a greenstone wheel that I was attempting to true up with a diamond dresser.  Not like I had never done that before.  I just goofed by raising the diamond tip above center.  The green stone disintigrated and a sizable piece hit me in the head, knocked me flat on my ass, broke my glasses, caused some blood, scared hell out of me. I wont be doing that again.

Stay safe JJ.  Those damned machines are evil things that have no respect for humans.

I almost switched to a green wheel for sharpening tungsten but the deal I had lined up for a tig machine fell through. Having now read the msds for silicon carbide I think if I ever do find a tig I'll rig up a diamond wheel of some sort. There's a fellow named Stephan Gotteswinter who put together a cheap and effective diamond wheel for his small tool makers shop that I like.

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on February 05, 2018, 05:38:39 AM
Quote from: Dave on February 04, 2018, 06:33:27 PM

What suprised me  was the fact that the side that backed off was left hand thread. Thinking more about  the situation it seems that Black and Decker screwed up which side was which.

Think my brain cell is asleep, I read "angle" not "bench" there somehow! Too bloody early am!

jumbojak

I'm about to have a roof AND walls I can work under. Well, not under the walls but you know what I mean. The family barn is almost weather tight. Putting the flashing and Ridge cap on today was scary. The tin roof was slick and the wind was really blowing. Got it done though.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on February 22, 2018, 02:14:43 AM
I'm about to have a roof AND walls I can work under. Well, not under the walls but you know what I mean. The family barn is almost weather tight. Putting the flashing and Ridge cap on today was scary. The tin roof was slick and the wind was really blowing. Got it done though.

That is quite an achievement. How long did it take?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Years... It sat with open sides and no ridgecap. It took a real chance of structural collapse to get everybody in gear! Hopefully power will come next. Minimum of one 230v circuit for a welder and some lights. The sliding doors are under construction. Might get a floor, someday...

The roof and siding took a few weeks with the English weather we've been having.

Dave

QuoteThe roof and siding took a few weeks with the English weather we've been having.

Tut, JJ, since 90% of our "English" weather comes from the west it is really secondhand American stuff! The rest of it is Scandinavian, Russian or Spanish. Ok, odd bit of Icelandic.

jumbojak

Yeah, and if Bruce fats in Texas there'll be a hurricane in Wales...

I suppose we need to think about a floor next. Might be a pain now that it's partly closed from the front. I don't fancy mixing bagged concrete though so we'll have to get a truck in somehow.

Icarus

Good for you JJ.  We craftsmen types need a decent place to work.  I too have worked in a primitive dirt floored place....in the distant past. We long for a better place to work but we make do with whatever space we have.  I respect the guys who make do with whatever they have.  That is how we became a nation of do'ers and makers, and fixers.

I have a young friend In Lithuania who has a problem of that sort.  He is an exceptional craftsman but he has had no place to work.  His country is very poor, corrupt, and unbearably cold in winter.  Recently he fell into a pot of jam and found his way into a community workshop that is operated by other poor craftsmen. A wonderful place that is strangled by lack of funds but still operative.  They make most of their tools because they have such a small budget.  They are hot on the trail for building a band saw and also a table saw at this time.  They may be poor but they are determined.   

Some of them are digital savvy and they have rigged up a camera  system that monitors the place in several rooms at all times.  You can actually visit the place by going to :   live.makerspace.lt  They only work on Wednesdays and their hours are from 8 to 11 PM.  But Lithuania is 7 times zone ahead of our eastern standard time.  Two o'clock in our afternoon is 9 Pm for them.  Dave, JJ ,and some of the others of us can commiserate with the guys at "makerspace" and elsewhere.  We are all in this together even though we are  separated by long distances.

Their latest adventure is when they damn near blew up the shop when they were mixing "candy Propellant" for a suborbital rocket they were building.  ( candy propellant is sugar mixed with potassium nitrate, a fertilizer component.)  The shop survived fortunately.

jumbojak

Candy propellant you say? I have a feeling that'd attract the authority's attention around here. Reminds me of a friend who was taking apart fireworks to make one BIG one. He was pretty drunk and had sorted the different metal flakes and propellant using a bunch of ashtrays on his coffee table. He had all of those ashtrays because he was a chain smoker. The flash was incredible when he stuffed a butt in the wrong one. PHOOM!

Icarus

^ Confucius say: never mess around with explosives when you have had a few too many.