News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Why I'm voting for Biden

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, August 21, 2020, 04:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

We can only hope that her integrity will carry some weight in her decision-making.  Maybe she will surprise us, but I'm not holding my breath.

Davin

Five thirty eight's predictions are promising.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-election-forecast/

In 2016 they gave Trump about a third of chance to win, the highest of anyone at the time. This time it looks about one in ten, which is surprisingly too high, but it's still a good chance of him pulling it off and at least getting the electoral college votes.

There is a part of the linked page near the top that links to another page where you can stress yourself out by playing out different likely scenarios. It would be nice if Texas and Arizona flipped blue.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

billy rubin

i think the fact that barrett was willing to be nominated to the supreme court in spite of the obvious cynical and hypocritic politicking bodes poorly for her opinions..

the supreme court is as honorable as it gets in the american judicial branch, but to accept a position coming with such obvious baggage means that she either considers herself above and immune to such lowly disputes-- which appears to me to be naive-- or she sees the politics as normative-- which appears to me to be craven.

i believe the american supreme court is due for overhaul. it isn't working as designed.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

The big picture on that site shows Biden winning IF both Florida and Georgia vote Blue. I have serious doubts that such a thing will happen.  I certainly hope that I am wrong about my assessment.

I have been am interested observer of the number and message of yard signs in my city.  Biden is only slightly ahead in the sign count.  The Trumpites are much more vociferous but not much more in evidence. 

My wife has been a etified volunteer poll watcher at the early voting sites.  We have participated in more than one "Ridin for Biden" caravans.  So far none of the armed militia goons have shown up at the voting places.  My little city is a fairly sophisticated place but the surrounding areas in this county tend toward hard core blue collar.  I predict  a loss in this district but not by a commanding difference.

Meanwhile Trump has managed to beguile the Cuban citizens, most of whom are in the Miami area, so that they are fully in favor of him.  Oddly the Puerto Rican citizens in Florida and the island itself are strongly in favor of Biden.  Go figure.  Our considerable population of Mexican and Guatemalan citizens should , by all odds, hate Trumps guts.

Only five more days of suspense.......or maybe a bit longer on account of the mail in ballots.

Davin

Quote from: Icarus on October 29, 2020, 10:49:10 PM
The big picture on that site shows Biden winning IF both Florida and Georgia vote Blue. I have serious doubts that such a thing will happen.  I certainly hope that I am wrong about my assessment.
That's not accurate. There are many combinations to Biden winning that don't include Florida and Georgia. You can use their interactive map to play out those scenarios. If you select Trump getting Fl and GA, it increases his odds to 2016 numbers though. But ultimately, it's just statistical modeling based off of polls. I wouldn't trust it too much, but I trust five thirty eight the most of any of them.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Icarus

True Davin. But Florida alone has more than ten percent of the needed 270 electoral college votes. 

The game ain't over 'til the fat lady sings. 

Ecurb Noselrub

The benefit of winning Florida, North Carolina or Georgia on election night is that it will make it quite unlikely that Trump can overcome a loss in one of those  places.  The earlier the totals come in for those states, the better.

billy rubin

eastern standard time means that those exit polls will be out first.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

We've had people driving around our redneck-centric town in "parades", blocking traffic and causing all kinds of trouble. Fights and everything. The police had to ride motorcycles up the sidewalks to restore order. I live in one of the safest cities in the US, for its size. Crazy. The line of traffic going up to the store where my son works grid-locked the mall, and some employees sat in the break room for 2 hours after they were off work before they could get out of the parking lot and go home. I really hope Biden wins and these people crawl back under their slime-covered rocks.  >:(

Magdalena

Well, I just got me a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon from 19--who gives a fuck anymore.
--It's delicious.
Here's to Biden. :cheers:

QuoteThe California wildfires have devastated more than four million acres, of which the Glass Fire has scorched more than 67,000 acres, damaging and destroying structures at approximately 30 wineries in Northern California. Fairwinds Estate Winery.Oct 11, 2020
:felix:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Randy

I've been following the election as I'm sure many of you are. What puzzles me is that Trump is getting as many votes as he is. Biden is still in the lead but that may change.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Randy on November 04, 2020, 03:50:38 AM
I've been following the election as I'm sure many of you are. What puzzles me is that Trump is getting as many votes as he is. Biden is still in the lead but that may change.

It's an appalling statement about just what a bunch of shits we have in this country. I grew up in a tiny whites-only town in the middle of nowhere, southern California, with no contact with people color until middle school (junior high, in those days). They were all kept over in another area, close to the minimum-security prison, just off the freeway. I've met many of them since who are way better (and smarter) people than a lot of the white people I know. When I worked in aerospace, I met many people who were smarter than me, many who were POC. This prejudice shit has to stop. I don't expect it ever will, though, people being what they are.  ::)