News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

If you think an ideology or religion is immoral and evil, should you actively op

Started by Gnostic Christian Bishop, October 06, 2017, 11:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Gnostic Christian Bishop on October 06, 2017, 11:03:34 PM
If you think an ideology or religion is immoral and evil, should you actively oppose it?

Please specify what ideology you follow in your reply.

Regards
DL

First off I find the terms "immoral" and "evil"  to be rather ambiguous. What is immoral to let's say a "Gnostic Christian may not be seen to someone like me, as harmful or detrimental to others and therefore is perfectly fine behavior.

For example you may believe sex before people are married is immoral, but to me the idea or a notion of premarital sex doesn't really exist.

Consenting adults can do whatever they want to with each other, regardless of their place within societies marital confounds.

With regards to evil, it is my opinion that it is extremely evil to have to spend 2 hours driving with your brother-in-law across Honduras while listening to "Christian Fucking Rock" music (It's not rock music by the way, it's just garbage)

You on the other hand my think that's the greatest music on earth next to Polish Polka, I don't know. ::)

By the way with regards to my ideology, I consider myself a "Frolicking Fornicator".
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Gnostic Christian Bishop

Father Bruno

I agree that morality is subjective.

The O.P. asks for your subjective answer.

Care to give it or are you only going to say what most people already know?

Regards
DL

Asmodean

If you think an ideology or religion is immoral and evil, should you actively oppose it?
Nah. If it leaves me well enough alone, I may as well choose not to.

QuoteChristians and Muslims seem to think so as evidenced by Inquisitions and Jihads.

I am a Gnostic Christian and we have always seen it as part of our belief system to oppose immoral and evil belief systems. We are not pacifists but historically have done our ideological fighting with good arguments instead of violence.
Ideological fighting... Now there's an idea worth actively opposing.

QuoteWe have also called on all good people to actively oppose religions and ideologies that they feel are immoral and not deserving of their respect. That is a take-off on the adage that for evil to grow, all good people need do is nothing. Gnostic Christians believe in spreading good ideologies.
You do know that the expression "for evil to thrive, all it takes is for good men to stand idly by" is bullshit though, right? Many a good man have contributed to a lot of shit through their actions - often with noble intentions, sometimes with the very intention of "opposing evil."

If you want a metaphor to better fit reality, how about "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions?"

QuoteBoth Christianity and Islam, slave holding ideologies, have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds and good moral arguments and continue with their immoral ways in spite of secular law showing them a better and more moral ways. Some of Christianity has adopted these better ways of late but Islam is lagging and fighting against ideological reform.
So? That's how you grow a religion. Your ability to spread it through miracles and good deeds is unlikely to outlast your supply of fairy dust.

QuoteJesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I. Jesus would call Christianity and Islam abominations.
So? How is any sort of historical Jesus actually relevant to either religion in its modern form?

QuoteGnostic Christians did call them out for their evils in the past, and I am proudly continuing that tradition and honest irrefutable evaluation based on morality.
If it's irrefutable, how can it be based on something as subjective as morality?

QuoteIn whatever belief system you follow, be it humanist, secular, atheistic or religious, does your ideology require you to fight other ideologies or religions you find immoral or harmful to society?
No, it does not. I am not an ideologue, and my lack of a self-identified ideology makes absolutely no demands of me.

You tell me, for frankly, I don't give a shit.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Gnostic Christian Bishop on November 11, 2017, 10:06:11 PM
Father Bruno

Regards
DL

Yes I oppose all religions, and anything else that I find harmful or dangerous to not only individuals, but humanity as a whole.

Icarus

Quote from: Recusant on October 06, 2017, 11:34:58 PM

So, Gnostic Christian Bishop, perhaps you could give us some history of the development and principles of this Gnostic Christianity that you profess. For instance, name some historical figures that we would be able to read about who professed Gnostic Christianity in the past. Thank you in advance.

Rec, just for the hell of it, there is an example of that kind in ancient history.  Augustine was a Manichean which is pretty much linked to the Gnostic bit. Almost the same thing.   As most of us know, he became a Christian and achieved fame and saint hood  but not as a Gnostic.  Augustine was a smart dude, educated in Carthage, but he was still snookered by the ancient beliefs of the day when the earth was flat.

Gnostic Christian Bishop

Quote from: Asmodean on November 14, 2017, 03:11:51 PM
Nah. If it leaves me well enough alone, I may as well choose not to.

QuoteChristians and Muslims seem to think so as evidenced by Inquisitions and Jihads.

I am a Gnostic Christian and we have always seen it as part of our belief system to oppose immoral and evil belief systems. We are not pacifists but historically have done our ideological fighting with good arguments instead of violence.
Ideological fighting... Now there's an idea worth actively opposing.

QuoteWe have also called on all good people to actively oppose religions and ideologies that they feel are immoral and not deserving of their respect. That is a take-off on the adage that for evil to grow, all good people need do is nothing. Gnostic Christians believe in spreading good ideologies.
You do know that the expression "for evil to thrive, all it takes is for good men to stand idly by" is bullshit though, right? Many a good man have contributed to a lot of shit through their actions - often with noble intentions, sometimes with the very intention of "opposing evil."

If you want a metaphor to better fit reality, how about "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions?"

QuoteBoth Christianity and Islam, slave holding ideologies, have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds and good moral arguments and continue with their immoral ways in spite of secular law showing them a better and more moral ways. Some of Christianity has adopted these better ways of late but Islam is lagging and fighting against ideological reform.
So? That's how you grow a religion. Your ability to spread it through miracles and good deeds is unlikely to outlast your supply of fairy dust.

QuoteJesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I. Jesus would call Christianity and Islam abominations.
So? How is any sort of historical Jesus actually relevant to either religion in its modern form?

QuoteGnostic Christians did call them out for their evils in the past, and I am proudly continuing that tradition and honest irrefutable evaluation based on morality.
If it's irrefutable, how can it be based on something as subjective as morality?

QuoteIn whatever belief system you follow, be it humanist, secular, atheistic or religious, does your ideology require you to fight other ideologies or religions you find immoral or harmful to society?
No, it does not. I am not an ideologue, and my lack of a self-identified ideology makes absolutely no demands of me.

You tell me, for frankly, I don't give a shit.

You just wrote a pile of it.

Regards
DL

Gnostic Christian Bishop

Quote from: Father Bruno on November 14, 2017, 04:35:40 PM
Father Bruno

Regards
DL

Yes I oppose all religions, and anything else that I find harmful or dangerous to not only individuals, but humanity as a whole.

Perfect.

That is also the Gnostic Christian ideology.

Careful my friend. That attitude will bring the brain deads Inquisitors against you.

Regards
DL

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Gnostic Christian Bishop on December 03, 2017, 07:09:08 PM
Quote from: Father Bruno on November 14, 2017, 04:35:40 PM
Father Bruno

Regards
DL

Perfect.

That is also the Gnostic Christian ideology.

Careful my friend. That attitude will bring the brain deads Inquisitors against you.

Regards
DL

Sorry, but I can't be friends with a toll collector.  Not only do you demand a toll, but you also take away souls by theft. Mine is not for sale, nor can you or yours take it by force...as I no longer have mortal fear.

Your path of deliverance is just as false.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Asmodean

Quote from: Gnostic Christian Bishop on December 03, 2017, 07:07:04 PM
You just wrote a pile of it.

Regards
DL
Yeah, and..?

You asked - I answered. What you do with the answer is no problem of mine.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dragonia

Christians and Muslims seem to think so as evidenced by Inquisitions and Jihads.

We have also called on all good people to actively oppose religions and ideologies that they feel are immoral and not deserving of their respect. That is a take-off on the adage that for evil to grow, all good people need do is nothing. Gnostic Christians believe in spreading good ideologies.

Both Christianity and Islam, slave holding ideologies, have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds and good moral arguments and continue with their immoral ways in spite of secular law showing them a better and more moral ways. Some of Christianity has adopted these better ways of late but Islam is lagging and fighting against ideological reform.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I. Jesus would call Christianity and Islam abominations.

Gnostic Christians did call them out for their evils in the past, and I am proudly continuing that tradition and honest irrefutable evaluation based on morality.

In whatever belief system you follow, be it humanist, secular, atheistic or religious, does your ideology require you to fight other ideologies or religions you find immoral or harmful to society?

Regards
DL
I don't have a really set ideology, I guess it would be humanism, where I don't want to do harm to anyone. So no, I feel no specific compunction to oppose "immorality" or evil, though I might do so anyway, if the occasion arose. It's a pretty broad question.
But I don't feel too bad about my vague answer, because you don't make much sense yourself.
What the hell is a Gnostic Christian? You said in a previous post that you think God is more evil than Satan, but you don't believe in Satan. You think God should die a slow painful death. You believe in Jesus and follow his moral teachings, but Jesus is God's son, according to the only documentation that we have of him. 
And you're wondering if we should oppose bad ideologies, I think yours is such. You strive for perfection, supposedly achieved by following Jesus' moral teachings. But his teachings aren't all moral, so how do you decide which is which? And how can you deny Jesus' Father, but think Jesus is great? It's very confusing.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)