News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Prophetic Sculptor

Started by Recusant, November 03, 2020, 03:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

No doubt it's been around Facebook a couple of times already, but I'll post a thread here anyway. A figurative and playful sculpture near Rotterdam called "Saved by the Whale's Tail" has become a piece of inadvertent performance art.

"Saved By The Whale: Dutch Train Runs Off Elevated Tracks, Is Caught By Statue's Tail" | NPR

A massive sculpture of a whale's tail keeps a metro train aloft Monday after it shot through a stop block at De Akkers station in Spijkenisse, Netherlands. No injuries were reported.
Image Credit: Robin Utrecht/ANP/AFP

A Dutch train burst past the end of its elevated tracks Monday in the Netherlands.

But instead of crashing to the ground 30 feet below, the metro train was caught — held aloft by an artist's massive sculpture of a whale's tail. Despite some damage, no injuries or deaths were reported.

The sculpture at the end of the tracks was given a prescient name: "Saved by the Whale's Tail," according to France 24. It was built in 2002, installed at the De Akkers station in Spijkenisse, a city just outside Rotterdam.

[Continues . . .]

Popular Mechanics takes a look at the engineering aspects of the incident. Spoiler: the sculpture is acting as part of a cantilever system.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

I saw that elsewhere (not on FB) and am quite a bit surprised that some structure like that is taking the weight. It's going to be an interesting recovery, and TBH, I'm more than a little bit surprised that there wasn't something before that tail to stop the train.  :???:

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

Quote from: Bad Penny II on November 03, 2020, 09:16:38 AM
Quote from: Tank on November 03, 2020, 07:43:57 AM
Never seen this before!

So it isn't fake?

I don't think so. But I wouldn't believe it on the 1st April :D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tom62

It is real news. The sculpture is located at the metro station "De Akkers" in Spijkenisse (near Rotterdam) It was created by  Maarten Struijs.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Icarus

I agree with DL.  That the train is suspended largely by the whale tail is surprising. The load appears to be a little bit more in compression than in bending.  The angle of the tail,....a wild assed guess,  is something on the order of 30 degrees.  That gives us some hope that the thing will not collapse before the rescue. Of course all that depends on the strength of  material of the whale tail.

Glad I was not on that train!!!

Recusant

From the Popular Mechanics article:

QuoteWhile the whale tail is certainly contributing some vertical support, it's actually the second train car, connected to the precariously dangling front carriage, that's doing the heavy lifting. . . .

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Recusant on November 04, 2020, 03:51:13 AM
From the Popular Mechanics article:

QuoteWhile the whale tail is certainly contributing some vertical support, it's actually the second train car, connected to the precariously dangling front carriage, that's doing the heavy lifting. . . .

If it wasn't the carriage probably wouldn't be at that angle.
From that pic it doesn't really look like the carriage is on the tail.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

In latest news there are moves to get this made permanent if only in look rather than actuality.