News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Re: Ask Old Git

Started by Bad Penny II, July 19, 2016, 09:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Quote from: OldGit on July 17, 2016, 06:23:19 PM
Mrs Git and I celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary today. 

Well done, Mrs Git must be very patient.

This longevity might or might not indicate great wisdom regarding relationships.
In view of this I propose an Ask Git thread, or a Dear Old Git thread.
I'm not going to start it because some of my threads aren't appreciated.
I will give an example of a question though.

A guy or possibly a female guy often notices four teaspoons of different size in or on the sink.
Askee thinks it unnecessary to get a new spoon whenever there's spooning to be done but lets it go because relationships are about give and take and choose your battles, and stealth,,, and stuff.
There is an even more important matter at stake though, besides the unsightly disparate spoons.
Spoons are a unit of measure, if a different sized spoon is used the spooning will not be as consistently accurate as it should be.
This is such an obvious and important truth I don't think more needs to be said, mixing spoons is a degenerate practice that must be stopped .
I think a reasonable thing would be to leave five uniform sized tea spoons in the cutlery draw and banish (stealthily) the hotchpotch of others to the rarely visited fourth draw, behind the plastic lids that don't fit anything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, or resented, or dismissed as rubbish as appropriate.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Recusant

Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 19, 2016, 09:50:44 AM
Quote from: OldGit on July 17, 2016, 06:23:19 PM
Mrs Git and I celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary today. 

Well done, Mrs Git must be very patient.

This longevity might or might not indicate great wisdom regarding relationships.
In view of this I propose an Ask Git thread, or a Dear Old Git thread.
I'm not going to start it because some of my threads aren't appreciated.
I will give an example of a question though.

A guy or possibly a female guy often notices four teaspoons of different size in or on the sink.
Askee thinks it unnecessary to get a new spoon whenever there's spooning to be done but lets it go because relationships are about give and take and choose your battles, and stealth,,, and stuff.
There is an even more important matter at stake though, besides the unsightly disparate spoons.
Spoons are a unit of measure, if a different sized spoon is used the spooning will not be as consistently accurate as it should be.
This is such an obvious and important truth I don't think more needs to be said, mixing spoons is a degenerate practice that must be stopped .
I think a reasonable thing would be to leave five uniform sized tea spoons in the cutlery draw and banish (stealthily) the hotchpotch of others to the rarely visited fourth draw, behind the plastic lids that don't fit anything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, or resented, or dismissed as rubbish as appropriate.

Given the significant presence of spoons in the site culture, this could be viewed as a very important question. I won't presume to provide any sort of answer, deferring to OldGit, but the different sizes of spoons and their nomenclature is a bit confusing to me. From a measurement point of view, the Australian teaspoon is smaller than the British teaspoon, while the American teaspoon is fairly close to the Australian.

However, in the UK, if you ask for a teaspoon in conversation, as one does, you will very likely be offered a miniature item of cutlery that might go under the name of "demitasse spoon" in another context. While these rather small spoons are apparently ubiquitous in British households and Bridge clubs, etc., you'll hardly ever encounter them in the US, though they seem to be fairly common in France. Given that Australia has a real tea-drinking culture that resembles that in the UK I wonder, when an Australian talks of teaspoons, just what sort of implement they have in mind. :chin:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Pasta Chick

We have a proper set of spoons, and random outliers are related to use in work lunches as they will not be missed if they are stolen, lost, or disappear to start a life doing whatever it is spoons dream of doing. But after only 7 years I would defer to OGs wisdom on this matter.

xSilverPhinx

I don't know what you guys are talking about, everybody knows that there is no spoon.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Essie Mae

and what about the plastic measuring teaspoons used in cooking. Are these part of the teaspoon family?
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Essie Mae on July 21, 2016, 12:40:16 AM
and what about the plastic measuring teaspoons used in cooking. Are these part of the teaspoon family?

Relations, yes, but ultimately part of their own measuring family, not the serving set. 

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 21, 2016, 12:25:06 AM
I don't know what you guys are talking about, everybody knows that there is no spoon.
That's true, there is no spoon, everybody knows that.  :eyeroll:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

OldGit

Old Git pronounces ex cathedra:

Drill holes in them.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Recusant on July 20, 2016, 11:45:15 PM
Given the significant presence of spoons in the site culture, this could be viewed as a very important question. I won't presume to provide any sort of answer, deferring to OldGit, but the different sizes of spoons and their nomenclature is a bit confusing to me. From a measurement point of view, the Australian teaspoon is smaller than the British teaspoon, while the American teaspoon is fairly close to the Australian.

However, in the UK, if you ask for a teaspoon in conversation, as one does, you will very likely be offered a miniature item of cutlery that might go under the name of "demitasse spoon" in another context. While these rather small spoons are apparently ubiquitous in British households and Bridge clubs, etc., you'll hardly ever encounter them in the US, though they seem to be fairly common in France. Given that Australia has a real tea-drinking culture that resembles that in the UK I wonder, when an Australian talks of teaspoons, just what sort of implement they have in mind. :chin:

For recipes we have our measuring spoon ducks.
For a cup of tea too much or too little sugar is annoying.
To get the correct amount a spoon of consistent size should be used, the actual size isn't critical as long as you stick with it.  You'll get to know to fill a big'n to 87%, or a little'n over spec.
I'm not seeking to enforce a universal teaspoon size in every house.  People in other houses may use spoons that differ in size to mine, they are no doubt deficient in other ways but I don't intend helping them and the gaols are already so crowded.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: OldGit on July 21, 2016, 09:33:46 AM

Drill holes in them.

That sounds like one of those pasta draining devices, you just can't help proselytising can you?

Essie Mae

Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 21, 2016, 10:35:51 AM
Quote from: OldGit on July 21, 2016, 09:33:46 AM

Drill holes in them.

That sounds like one of those pasta draining devices, you just can't help proselytising can you?
No he can,t. He is only deserving of a wooden spoon.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Icarus

Spoons of whatever size are a primitive tool for the function of measuring......... While the spoon is an appropriate tool for stirring ones tea without regard to size....a wooden stirring stick would work as well, admittedly not as classy. We have teaspoons, Tablespoons, Brit spoons, Aussie ones and probably different ones in Madagascar. A spoon is an ellipto/spheroidal object that has no assured accuracy. What the hell is a "heaping" teaspoon anyway?  Imperial measurement captive that I am, I still claim that the only measuring tool that makes sense is a metric graduated vessel that measures milliliters of volume.

We Americans are seriously fucked up because we use ounces of weight which is easily confused with ounces of volume, both of which frequently occur in recipes.  A stick pf butter which weighs one quarter pound is equivalent to eight tablespoons of volume and other dumb assed conversions...........................OOps I am on a rant about our silly system of measurement.  Pardon please.