News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Re: I Need Help From All You Native Speakers Once Again

Started by OldGit, December 14, 2014, 10:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on April 23, 2019, 09:59:38 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 23, 2019, 08:43:31 PM
Argh, we really need an emoji banging its head against the wall!

Excellent!  :thumbsup: Gracias!

Recusant, can we add this to the emoji zoo?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Seems too mild for the idea of banging a head against the wall. How about this one?

I have nothing against adding them both, for that matter.  :grin:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on April 24, 2019, 06:45:52 AM
Seems too mild for the idea of banging a head against the wall. How about this one?

I have nothing against adding them both, for that matter.  :grin:

Wow, that one's really trying to cause multiple skull fractures, isn't it? I like it! :grin:

:notsure: I have nothing against them both being in the emoji zoo either. There is a nuanced difference between them.  :snicker:

xSilverPhinx

Please help! Does this sentence structure work? It's for a paper title:

Gene 1 and gene 2 expression in the early detection of kidney disease in liquid biopsy.

I can't add the whole title here, but I've added a generic term to the underlined bits.

Some more context: expression of two genes in urine samples are being tested as potential biomarkers for early diagnosis of a certain kidney disease. 

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 11, 2019, 02:47:00 PM

Gene 1 and gene 2 expression in the early detection of kidney disease in liquid biopsy.

I can't add the whole title here, but I've added a generic term to the underlined bits.

Some more context: expression of two genes in urine samples are being tested as potential biomarkers for early diagnosis of a certain kidney disease.

Not my field, so perhaps I am misinterpreting what it means, but my suggestion would be:

Gene 1 and gene 2 expression in the early liquid biopsy detection of kidney disease.

I think it reads better that way, but perhaps the meaning is not correct.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 11, 2019, 03:01:06 PM

Not my field, so perhaps I am misinterpreting what it means, but my suggestion would be:

Gene 1 and gene 2 expression in the early liquid biopsy detection of kidney disease.

That does flow better.  :thumbsup:

billy rubin

minor point, in referring to "the early liquid biopzy detection," the definite article "the" impliez that you are evaluating a unique detection protocol, one which is unambiguously singular.

removing the definite article and leaving the title like this:

"Gene 1 and gene 2 expression in early liquid biopsy detection of kidney disease"

does not so imply a unique method, and leavez open the possibility that there may be more than one detection protocol and the method being discussed may be one of several.

but this is minor even for english, which is full of zhades of meaning like this.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on November 11, 2019, 06:11:46 PM

minor point, in referring to "the early liquid biopzy detection," the definite article "the" impliez that you are evaluating a unique detection protocol, one which is unambiguously singular.

removing the definite article and leaving the title like this:

"Gene 1 and gene 2 expression in early liquid biopsy detection of kidney disease"

does not so imply a unique method, and leavez open the possibility that there may be more than one detection protocol and the method being discussed may be one of several.

but this is minor even for english, which is full of zhades of meaning like this.

Good point, billy rubin!

Bluenose

Also noting billy rubin's point as entirely valid I also note that the original wording implies that the kidney disease occurs in liquid biopsy which of course is nonsense,  The alternate wording removes this. 
English is a bit of a bugger for this sort of thing with its lack of formal endings on words to clarify the subject and object of the verb, word order is our only tool for this.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bluenose on November 11, 2019, 09:50:12 PM

Also noting billy rubin's point as entirely valid I also note that the original wording implies that the kidney disease occurs in liquid biopsy which of course is nonsense,  The alternate wording removes this. 
English is a bit of a bugger for this sort of thing with its lack of formal endings on words to clarify the subject and object of the verb, word order is our only tool for this.

Yes, I see what you mean.  :thumbsup:

The phrase is the product of Google Translate, so you see why it's so odd. If I'm not delirious in my assessment, one would have to switch 'in' for 'by' in in liquid biopsy for it to make more sense? Detection by liquid biopsy...

billy rubin

does it sound better in gibberish?

Kono 1 pi kono 7 oxplossien din zo oaxalrupp riquid fiepsupp potondien eb gidnoupp isoaxaso.

http://mybigmonkey.com/gibberish/

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on November 11, 2019, 11:59:55 PM
does it sound better in gibberish?

Kono 1 pi kono 7 oxplossien din zo oaxalrupp riquid fiepsupp potondien eb gidnoupp isoaxaso.

http://mybigmonkey.com/gibberish/

Hey! Who recorded me attempting to speak  at 6 the morning?!  >:(