News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Atheist Pilgrimage - Portland, Oregon

Started by AnimatedDirt, May 18, 2012, 07:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

I has another solution to that problem: indicate lane change, then change lanes. If some asshole is not gone within reasonable time, he will have a nasty accident for his trouble.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Asmodean on May 21, 2012, 09:04:02 PM
I has another solution to that problem: indicate lane change, then change lanes. If some asshole is not gone within reasonable time, he will have a nasty accident for his trouble.

I'd love to hear that defense in court.

"But Judge, I had my turn signal on for 1 minute and I moved over.  It's the other person's fault I merged into their lane/car."

Not sure that would hold up very well.  Actually, I'm pretty sure it would not hold up.

Nasty accident for sure, but one that the "non-asshole" will be paying for.

Asmodean

Hah..!

That's what good insurances are for.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Asmodean on May 21, 2012, 09:24:33 PM
Hah..!

True, but they also tend to cost more when they see the insured is changing lanes based on the time his/her turn signal is on.

Ali

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on May 21, 2012, 09:35:51 PM
Hah..!

True, but they also tend to cost more when they see the insured is changing lanes based on the time his/her turn signal is on.

We should take up a collection to pay for Asmo's skyrocketing insurance costs, since he is taking one for the team by teaching drivers to stop refusing to let each other over..... ;D

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Ali on May 21, 2012, 10:09:40 PM
We should take up a collection to pay for Asmo's skyrocketing insurance costs, since he is taking one for the team by teaching drivers to stop refusing to let each other over..... ;D

I know we're joking around here.

There is no law stating one must submit to a turn signal.  However the law does make it clear that the responsibility of safety is in the hands of the one making the move...to make sure it is safe to do so.  Obviously if a car is there and hasn't moved, it is not safe to do so.

Do we really want to support those that would go against laws set in place for the safety of all?

:)

Ali

I am joking of course.  Although in all seriousness, I think that a driver refusing to let someone over is helping to create a dangerous situation, and for what?

In 1997, we moved to Colorado.  My brother was 12.  One of the first people in our neighborhood that he met and became friends with was a very sweet boy named David.  David is the oldest of 4 kids, whom we all watched grow up over the years since we were neighbors and the two boys were close friends and classmates. 

In 2003, David's little brother was killed in a car accident barely a month after he turned 16.  He was trying to merge onto the highway, and the drivers in the rightmost lane wouldn't let him over.  Certainly, he should have slowed down, stopped, whatever, instead of flipping his car over the gaurdrail, but he was 16 and not the most experienced driver, and I'm sure there were cars speeding behind him as well, since that particular on ramp is always a nightmare.  I'm sure it's his fault.  But I can't help but think about what a sweet cute little boy he was, and what a huge loss it was and still is for David's family. 

I don't find people who refuse to let people into their lane cute, or funny, or even understandable.   So if you want to get serious, that's my serious opinion.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Ali on May 21, 2012, 10:42:00 PM
I am joking of course.  Although in all seriousness, I think that a driver refusing to let someone over is helping to create a dangerous situation, and for what?

In 1997, we moved to Colorado.  My brother was 12.  One of the first people in our neighborhood that he met and became friends with was a very sweet boy named David.  David is the oldest of 4 kids, whom we all watched grow up over the years since we were neighbors and the two boys were close friends and classmates.  

In 2003, David's little brother was killed in a car accident barely a month after he turned 16.  He was trying to merge onto the highway, and the drivers in the rightmost lane wouldn't let him over.  Certainly, he should have slowed down, stopped, whatever, instead of flipping his car over the gaurdrail, but he was 16 and not the most experienced driver, and I'm sure there were cars speeding behind him as well, since that particular on ramp is always a nightmare.  I'm sure it's his fault.  But I can't help but think about what a sweet cute little boy he was, and what a huge loss it was and still is for David's family.  

I don't find people who refuse to let people into their lane cute, or funny, or even understandable.   So if you want to get serious, that's my serious opinion.

I agree.  I think I stated already that I don't know why we do this dumb thing, but we do...including me at times.  The times that I'm not "in that mood", I'm able to reflect at how stupid it is to do so.  It does seem to be a recognized stereotype of L.A, but it's not a driving trait of Angelinos only.  I've experienced it everywhere I've driven.  I'm happy to acknowledge it in jest here though.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ali on May 21, 2012, 10:09:40 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on May 21, 2012, 09:35:51 PM
Hah..!

My insurance company is pretty pleased with me and my premiums are not high, actually. I still have a lot of bonuses to rid myself of if I am to pay anywhere near what ye regular 19 year old must.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Firebird

Quote from: Asmodean on May 21, 2012, 05:18:50 PM
I think everyone should drive like Asmo, which is not pushing one's abilities as a driver and following the standing traffic laws and regulations.

Also, if you see a stationary vehicle with its hazards flashing, not stopping to ask if those inside need assistance is just wrong.

Also, too many kids are too irresponsible to drive. I think in stead of general age limits, there should be individual consideration when it comes to who gets the license and when. Can apply to elderly drivers as well, although in my subjetive experience, kids cause more head aches.

Also, those who put ridiculous bodywork and/or spoilers and/or lights on their old cars and think they look cool ought to be hung by their genitals and force-fed their own fecies.

Also... Nevermind. Rant over.

I like it. Especially the last part. I'm in.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Asmodean

Not sure what the traffic law says over in CA, but here, there are two types of mergers with highways: one, where the one wanting out from a side road has to give way to the traffic already on the highway and one with an "on-ramp" - a short lane that merges with the lane to its immediate left. The rule is then that if you are behind the vehicle as it starts indicating lane change, you have to let it in.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Asmodean on May 22, 2012, 10:48:53 AM
Not sure what the traffic law says over in CA, but here, there are two types of mergers with highways: one, where the one wanting out from a side road has to give way to the traffic already on the highway and one with an "on-ramp" - a short lane that merges with the lane to its immediate left. The rule is then that if you are behind the vehicle as it starts indicating lane change, you have to let it in.

Merging traffic is different from simple lane changes.  Of course here in L.A. there are some highways with 6-8 lanes at some points and bumper-to-bumper traffic.  But even with merging onto the highway, the "stereo type rule" seems the same.  I'm surprised and it brings a smile to my face when in traffic, two lanes merge into one and as I come upon it everyone is cooperating and taking turns merging.  It's beautiful.  :)  Then I mess things up with blowing the turn taking... (jk)

Tanker

So does this mean I'm lucky? Living in Salem about about 45 minutes from Portland. Though I have to admit if you don't get to the redder states often you can forget how... overzealous the religious right can be.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

cncracer

Quote from: Radiant on May 20, 2012, 02:42:57 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 19, 2012, 04:37:00 PM
Quote from: Radiant on May 19, 2012, 01:54:00 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 18, 2012, 08:05:46 PM
I'd rather live in the least religious country in the world: Europe.
Estonia and Sweden are top ranking apparently. <3
( 85% non believers and counting. Wow. My kind of place. )

Estonia - Sounds really nice. At least from the name. What a name. lol

Anyway, I'm shocked. The counties just to the Northeast, East, and Southeast of me are all in the blue percentage (less than 34.9%). I would have figured that every county in the state was Yellow. Even my county isn't Yellow, it's Orange.

What are the colors, and what do they represent in Europe?

I'm talking about this map:

fester30

Atheist pilgrimage to Portland?  When we practice absence of prayer are we to face Portland?