News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Dominionists in the United States

Started by Recusant, April 14, 2019, 02:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Or, they begin lobbing jokes - why doesn't Texas fall into the Gulf of Mexico?  Because Oklahoma sucks.

billy rubin

hmmm

did you hear about the arkie that moved from oklahoma to texas?

the average IQ of both states went up

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

i stepped into quicksand once on the red river, in the middle of the night, stark naked. on the texas side.

thats all i have to say about it.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: billy rubin on April 26, 2021, 01:15:52 AM
i stepped into quicksand once on the red river, in the middle of the night, stark naked. on the texas side.

thats all i have to say about it.

In them Oklahoma hills where you were born, stark naked in quicksand is the norm, isn't it?

Do you know this song?

"She ran 'round the wood pile, I ran 'round to meet her;
She pulled up her petty coat, and I pulled out for Tulsa;
Take me back to Tulsa, I'm too young to marry,
Take me back to Tulsa, I'm too young to marry.

billy rubin

weren't no hills nowhere.

you  wanted hills you drove miles to the arbuckles.

but not as many miles as in texas.

texas:

miles and miles

of miles and miles.

acres andacres

of acres and acres.

Ecurb Noselrub

Yes, there are miles and miles or nothing but miles and miles in some places here.  In Texas, it's all about heading in the right direction.  Otherwise, you will end up in nowhere places like Mentone or Mertzon.

billy rubin

mentone is indeed unique.

in oklahoma we have wahington

but washington makes dibble looklike new york city

Magdalena

I think I've seen this kind of confrontation before... :notsure:
I think I know how it will end...

:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on April 27, 2021, 08:22:58 AM
I think I've seen this kind of confrontation before... :notsure:
I think I know how it will end...

:grin:

:lol:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

i would nev3r wear whitesocks with shorts

i am a quaker so all mysocks are gray

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on April 27, 2021, 09:39:24 PM
i would nev3r wear whitesocks with shorts

i am a quaker so all mysocks are gray
:snicker:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

It's not as if the Dominionists are coy about their agenda. One of the creeps in charge of former US Secretary of State Pompeo's pet project "religious freedom" commission is happy to tell you what's up.

"Vice Chair of US Gov't. Religious Freedom Group Boasts 'Warriors for Christ' Were Created to 'Take Over the World'" | New Civil Rights Movement

QuoteTony Perkins, the vice chairman of the United States Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF), a U.S. federal government commission, says men were created to be "warriors for Christ" and should be "waging warfare" and trying to "take over the world."

Perkins, who was appointed to the Commission by then-Senate Republican Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, has served for decades as the president of the Family Research Council, which appears on the Southern Poverty Law Center's list of anti-LGBTQ hate groups.

"We should be, you know, happy warriors. We were created for this," Perkins can be seen saying in a video (below) posted by Right Wing Watch.

"It wasn't like this is just something that happens to fall upon us at this moment. We were created to be warriors for Christ – especially as men – we're to lead our families as warriors. Now that terminology has been, you know, maligned by the culture that we're, you know, these 'Christian warriors' from a standpoint of, we're 'trying to take over the world,'" Perkins said.

"Yeah, we are," he admitted, adding, "the kingdom, the kingdom of God."

It's unclear how Perkins can admit to trying to "take over the world" as a "Christian warrior," and "wage warfare" – and yet be trusted in his USCIRF role with working to ensure religious freedom – freedom for all religions – around the world.

"We want to see everyone come to the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ, and experience the abundant life. And that means we're going to have to wage warfare. It's not physical warfare," he insisted. "The weapons of our warfare, they're not carnal, but they're spiritual, for the tearing down of strongholds, so we shouldn't make any apologies about that."

[Twitter video, for the masochists.]

"Allahu akbar!"

Oh, sorry, my mistake. "For the greater glory of God!"

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

Their weapons are spiritual, such as political parties and legislatures and courts.

Recusant

This article seems somewhat incoherent to me, perhaps because it tries to pull in a number of different themes. What I see as the gist is quoted below.

"Trump's army of God: Doug Mastriano and the Christian nationalist attack on democracy" | Salon

QuoteOn May 9, the New Yorker published a feature story by Pulitzer winner Eliza Griswold about Pennsylvania state Sen. Doug Mastriano, who could well be the Republican nominee for governor next year, as a flagship example of the swelling power of Christian nationalism within today's GOP. That's an issue I focused on in a 2018 story largely driven by a paper called "Make America Christian Again," co-authored by sociologist Andrew Whitehead. I described this phenomenon as "an Old Testament-based worldview fusing Christian and American identities, and sharpening the divide with those who are excluded from it," and quoted from the paper:

QuoteChristian nationalism ... draws its roots from "Old Testament" parallels between America and Israel, who was commanded to maintain cultural and blood purity, often through war, conquest, and separatism.

[. . .]

The hard right in all its manifestations (cultural, religious, militarist, etc.) has always held that liberalism — if not democracy itself — is illegitimate. What's new about 4GW [fourth generation warfare] is that it provided the right a shared model of how to systematically delegitimize an opponent. Although 4GW theory's claims of historical accuracy have been severely criticized, it works well as an organizing mythology for its proponents.

In brief, 4GW theory holds that the three prior "generations" of modern warfare involved massed manpower, massed firepower and non-linear maneuver, but we have now reached a new phase: "4GW expands warfare beyond the physical level to include the mental and moral dimensions," Scaminaci explained. "At the highest level of combat — moral conflict — the central objective is to undermine the legitimacy of one's opponent and induce a population to transfer their loyalty from their government to the insurgent." In other words, 4GW normalizes the concept that political opponents are enemy combatants, building on generations of religious conservatives demonizing liberals as evil or demonic.

This mentality and its fruits — if not the explicit theory itself — now informs Trump and his allies' relentless claims that the 2020 election was stolen, along with the GOP's ongoing efforts to make it easier for them to steal the next one. When legitimate office holders use their powers illegitimately to change the system, simultaneously claiming that they're the ones doing everything correctly, that's 4GW at work. It's also the logic behind the "constitutional sheriffs" movement noted above, as well as the state legislatures that tried to interfere with the 2020 election and are now trying to rig all future ones. The same applies to the "Oath Keepers," with their selective list of which oaths they will keep and their assumption of a unilateral right to interpret their meaning and act accordingly.

Christian nationalism helps support all of this, deploying its warped and selective version of Christian faith to attack all other Americans, not to mention other Christians. While pretending to represent the ultimate in Christian belief and American patriotism, it is really a fundamental attack on the core values of both.

[Link to full article.]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken